What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just some photos I took today:

25qrxwm.jpg

Full Collection
dgnq51.jpg

Nepenthes Miranda. Has quite a few growth points. I got it last fall, finally got one in good condition. Has been growing in my window this winter so that's why it's growing sideways.
2prbjva.jpg

When I bought this from a local nursery it was labled as nepenthes rafflesiana. It started pitchering this winter(surprisingly since lower light levels), and looks more like a Ventrata.
5zlfkx.jpg

Closeup of my biggest pitcher so far.
2dmgxgj.jpg

Cape sundew I bought from here. It is finally producing leaves the size they were when I got it. It also looks like it's flowering again.
v4bfoz.jpg

Drosera spathulata. Last summer when I moved it outside it turned a nice red color, hoping for this again. This was my first plant I bought, it's been a beast, never stopped growing once. I need to repot it though still haven't done that yet.
1zgfb04.jpg

Nepenthes Truncata(I think it's the highland one, whatever one is the slower growing one). Shrunk a bit since I got it, hopefully it gets some size back. Has been pitchering though every time so it's doing well.
axln3d.jpg

Nepenthes Sanguinea. Was my other first plant. It was a monster but late last summer it started not forming leaves. If anyone knows what's going on let me know.

Okay now for the dorment stuff:
j0vgbc.jpg

Sarracenia Alata and Drosera filiformis ssp tracyi. I got sent an alata by accident instead of flava from an ebay seller. It looks like it survived dormancy, hopefully it starts growing soon so I can find out for sure. The other plant (right) is my Tracyi. I kept it in the garage along with all the plants I really cared about. Unfortunately it doesn't look too good.
wri4w3.jpg

Sarracenia Flava. These two are questionable. The roots looked pretty good when I repotted them, and they still have some color. We'll see. I kept these two outside along with the Alata, and a purpurea which died.
244r4g9.jpg

Finally my two Flavas that I kept in my garage for dormancy. These ones didn't have any roots that looked too good(all orange), however the leaves all have good color, and the rhyzome was a nice bright white/pink. I was a bit scared when one started cracking, thought it might have dried out or something, but it looks like it's flowering as shown in the next picture.
izndyg.jpg

Here is what I am assuming is where a flower is coming out. It was initially just a crack, however now it is starting to buldge out, like something round is inside, which I assume is a flower.

Anyway now for dormancy reporting. This year I was going to do an experiment. The plants I cared about in my garage, the plants I didn't outside. As I mentioned, the guy on ebay sent me an alata by accident, so when he sent me the right plant, flava, he kindly gave me 4. So I took half inside, and put half outside. I also took inside my filiformis tracyi, and a venus fly trap red dragon.

The stuff outside was planned on being an experiment, as last year all my mulched plants died. I had a theory on why they died which was that they were on a table, so they weren't really protected from the bottom. Also I wanted more wind protection, so I put them in an open bin, and then was planning on mulching them. I never got around to mulching them though. The stuff outside was two flavas, purpurea, and the alata Flavas were in the same pot, a thick 6" plastic pot, which might have helped. The Purpurea was from lowes, in a 4" square pot, and the alata was in a 4" circle pot. The purpurea was all browned up and rotting after dormancy, so no doubt it was dead. The flavas seemed to have survived, and the alata surprisingly seems to have survived too(it had the best looking roots of all my sarrs.

Now the stuff inside, the flavas looked great all over. The filiformis tracyi looked terrible after I brought it out of the garage, and the red dragon looked fine. However I think I made a mistake, that ended up killiing my red dragon, which was bringing them out in early march, and letting them out for the several freezes and thaws that followed. Both the red dragon and tracyi were in 3" pots, so their roots had very little protection. When I repotted my plants, the red dragon was all black, so I was sure it was dead. The tracyi had black roots, which as far as I know is normal, and I couldn't really tell if it was alive, it wasn't mushy or anything, so I repotted it just incase. The flava, which was in a thick 6" pot, didn't seem to mind the freezes at all. Perhaps the pot helped alot.

Anyway thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Yay the Nepenthes get a table to themselves :awesome:

Also, yay someone who started here at roughly the same time as me! :grin:

:D The nepenthes don't get the tables during the summer, they get to hang freely from the trees :D

Oh even better, in their natural habitat of attacking passers-by from above :lol:

Nice collection! Why am I strangely reminded of a certain hobbyist from San Diego....?

2nc2gsy.jpg

Flower one day later. This is like watching grass grow except a little faster.

And idk why, I'm from IL.

Ok...I can honestly say I've never seen anything like what is wrong with that sanguinea....seriously, it's the freakiest thing I've ever seen with a nep. :0o:

I think your x Ventrata is actually a ventricosa.

Yeah, that's a N. ventricosa for sure... well for almost certain.

There is something wrong there with the N. sanguinea. Probably either pests or root rot or something. I would suggest making another thread and ask the experts for suggestions as to what it could be.

100% Ventricosa :D

I thought it was a ventricosa too but some of the pitchers are tall and thin.

Some new pictures today. First is the flowering flava. A couple of weeks ago when it first started coming out of the crack I noticed a pitcher also developing. I peeled back the cracked leaf and then after a few freezes the past 2 weeks we are hopefully finally out of the cold spells and it looks like it is growing again. Picture doesn't show it too well so I made an arrow pointing at the new pitcher.
x540er.jpg

Second plant in the same pot hasn't shown any growth from the old area, however a new growing point looks like it's forming. Started off as a little red bump a few weeks ago, still pretty small but definately getting bigger.
262029y.jpg

Other than that nothing else has happened. My Filiformis tracyi looked pretty dead so I unpotted it and broke it in half and it was all orange inside so probably meant it was dead :(. Also just ordered some new plants for this season, along with a few from Adnedarn, I'll post some pictures when they arrive.

EDIT 4/25:

I noticed on the second plant with the new growing point that the leaves were getting pushed appart, so I peaked in and saw what I thought was a flower, I folded back the leaf and found even more! Two new pitcher, couldn't get a good picture of the flower since it's so deep in the leaf, but hopefully this weekend it will be out so I can get a pic of it.

2irrhwz.jpg

Last edited:
Some new pics finally. First my flower finally opened up :D It's a bit shorter than I thought it would be but ohh well. The other flava had a little flower bud but it never grew. But instead it has been sending up a lot of pitchers, none open so far though.
sfjy9l.jpg

A pitcher also coming up from the flowering flava.
2a4tgus.jpg

Next is my Venus flytrap red dragon I got from Adnerdarn @ Flytrapshop.com. One of the traps partially opened (the one on the bottom right) a week ago and I tried to feed it to see if it would close, it did but it only closed a little bit. Today it looked fully open so I gave it an ant and it closed super fast, so looks like it recovered from shipping shock :D. All the other growth seems to be dying but I'm pretty sure I see a new leaf coming up.
2emoci8.jpg

Next is my Drosera Filiformis Tracyi and Filiformis all red I got from ebay. The all red was a little red but mostly green when I got it, now it's all dark red :boogie: It seems to be a lot bushier than the tracyi. The tracyi is putting up some nice leaves though, I cut off all the old ones since they don't seem to produce any dew.
64eypz.jpg

Next is my Sarracenia Alata. I was actually wondering when any of the plants I left outside would show any if, if they survived, and when I examined it closely I saw a little pin point sized leaf coming out. That was a couple of weeks ago, now that is growing into a nice little pitcher.
2ebfyq1.jpg

Next is my two flavas that I left outside. One hasn't done anything, but the roots looked pretty healthy when I dug it up to turn it upright (apparently I potted it sideways). The other one I was getting curious so I dug a little and found some new growth coming up from the bottom. It's a little hard to see in the picture but it's that green to the right of the end of the tweezers.
157ddua.jpg

Next is the Sarracenia Luecophylla "Titan" that I recieved from Adnerdarn. I wanted a late season Sarracenia, and Luecophylla is the biggest, so the only decision was between tarnok and Titan. I decided titan cause you only see flowers once a year and it probably wasn't going to flower this year anyway so in that case I want more size. It hasn't done much yet, sent up a little phyllodia leaf, and another area on it appears to be growing something else, hopefully a pitcher. When I got it the leaves were whitish green, now they turned red.
21j18ix.jpg

Also I want to say I was upset all I had left was a 4" pot, because this plant's rhizome was HUGE, this picture doesn't do it justice. When I got it I shaved as much of the dead rhizome off as I could, which wasn't much. Here's a picture of the rhizome before I potted it.
2lk2sk8.jpg

Next is my drosera binata multifida extrema that I got from ebay. Not much to say about this, still putting out it's first leaf since I got it about a month ago. No dew yet either.
oh8v3s.jpg

Next is my Drosera Capensis that I got from Adnerdarn last year. It was flowering when he sent me it last year, and just sent up another flower this year. The leaves seem to get shorter when I put it out in full sun. Also for some reason this year it is turning all red but I don't mind :boogie:
2e6e9s3.jpg

Some drosera Spathulata. This was the first plant I got along with my N. San Guinea. When I got it they were just a big clump, so I split up six of them and replanted them. This year I did that again and repotted them and had 13. Only one died from the repot. These turned red when I brought them out last year, I hope they do the same this year.
mwu103.jpg

My N. Truncata and N. Ventricosa sitting in the shade under a tree. I hope the ventricosa does as well this summer as it was doing during the winter.
25rpndh.jpg

My nepenthes miranda hanging on a tree. It turned red from being in full sun before I finally hung it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this since the biggest growth is growing sideways from being in my window during the winter.
2u90k5z.jpg

And finally my N. San Guinea. It hasn't been growing upwards anymore, but it is puting out those pointed leaves you get in between the leaves of a miranda that turn into new growth points. I also took the bottom of the pot off so it can drain freely, maybe it had root rot or something.
noyp93.jpg

Anyway that's all. Hope you enjoyed and I'll post some more later, probably when my Flava's pitchers open up.

This spider has been building webs on my plant's pots for a while, after a storm last night looks like this cocky spider moved his web onto my sundews.
2zpmqhk.jpg

Some updates, a lot has happened since my last post.

First, my Nepenthes Ventricosa. Still growing strong, not pitchering as much, but it is producing a flower. The bad news is the new growing point coming from the flower browned up at the tip for some reason. Also the plant was growing sideways from being in my window over the winter, now it's making a U-turn since the light hits it from the other side now.
10xr1mq.jpg

But not all is lost, A couple weeks ago I discovered a new growth point from the base of the plant! It's small, but at least it's growing straight. For now.
23a32t.jpg

I didn't take any pictures of my truncata, because all that happened is it made maybe 2 more leaves, and all the pitchers died. Although the newest leave is a bit bigger. Nothing special though.

My Sarracenia Flava is growing some new pitcher. This thing has been everything I wanted it to be. Wide pitchers that I can see down, catches lots of bugs, the only thing I wish it did better was made taller pitchers. But I guess we will have to wait until next year. This thing caught a yellow jacket about a month ago, then for the next two weeks it was catching yellow jackets non-stop. They don't seem to be attracting much more, I don't know if they stopped producing nectar because I know there was something I read about mid season dormancy, but the newest open pitcher seems to be catching stuff now.
358umgj.jpg

And my red dragon flytrap. It's catching a lot, one of the traps you can see in the bottom right got cut in half, not sure if an animal got at it or what, but I know it caught something the day before that happened. It's also not as red as I would like, but it's also not getting as much sun as I would like either. Next year it should have a pot of it's own to fix this problem.
x3eo14.jpg

My sundews and other sarracenia group photo.
xn9c8j.jpg

Drosera Multifida extrema. Since I got the last photo it has been growing wonderfully. It's caught a few bugs, but they all get washed off when it rains. Also it is flowering. Twice.
w8x2yf.jpg

And it produced a little plantlet. This plantlet seems to be growing quite fast too.
303lbue.jpg

Drosera Capensis. Flowering like always. All my sundews seem to be constantly flowering. The leaves seem to get shorter when I bring it out during the summer. Also doesn't catch much. Doesn't produce much dew either, I might need to find a new spot to optimize it's conditions.
2s80081.jpg

The last picture I took of my Drosera Spathulata was right after I repoted them, and they looked miserable. Now they are bouncing back. After they started growing again, the leaves that looked miserable in the last photo continued dying. But almost like a phoenix, the drosera rises from the dead, and tons of plantlets sprouted from these dying leaves. Also they are flowering if you couldn't tell :p.
9lh0cw.jpg

My Drosera filiformis pot. The florida all red is staying quite bushy, and is flowering for the second time. The tracyi is recovering from when I let it dry out. We had a long drought, and I ran out of water, eventually having to buy some distilled water. The tracyi started wilting when the pot dried out, and now all those leaves died but new ones are growing back. The all red didn't seem to care too much.
2q16jnk.jpg

Sarracenia Luecophylla Titan. I'm a bit disappointed in how small the pitchers are compared to the rhyzome size, but at least they are decent sized pitchers. We still got more summer left though, and I know this is supposed to be a late season pitcher plant, so we'll see what we get later.
2lnxrnp.jpg

Random sarracenia that was supposed to be a flava. I don't really care too much about this guy. He hasn't been growing well. Somehow he survived being outside during the winter, so I'm giving him more chances to grow better.
ogw84j.jpg

My two other flavas that I left outside died. One never started growing. The other started growing, then the new growth browned up and it died.

My Sanguinea seems to be recovering. Since the last post somebody mentioned it possibly being root rot, so I took off the bottom of the pot only for a crapload of water to pour out. Since then it has been recovering nicely, finally producing more normal leaves, and it now has 4 growth points.
20rlahx.jpg

And finally my nepenthes miranda. No pitchers yet, but it is growing new leaves, so I guess it's still ajusting.
2ic2t1u.jpg

Anyway that's it. Hope you enjoyed.

I love the dews in the country crock, you can tell that I like butter. Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing.

Just some photo's I snapped today. First is of my repotted flavas (right) and leucophylla titan (left). I probably didn't need to repot the flavas this year but I did so I could get my dionaea akai ryu in its own pot and get the flavas in their own pot as well.
9q92ev.jpg

Next is off my Dionaea Akai Ryu. I cut off all the old leaves because they were browning up and I wanted light to get to the rhyzome for new growth. Also when I repotted I noticed a small new crown forming (not in the photo)
4pwdig.jpg

Next is my droser filiformis all red emerging from their hybernicula. RIP filiformis tracyi :-(
sb3tkh.jpg

Next is my newly potted Diana's delight. I got this last fall, I went to my local nursery after my parents told me they saw some plants that looked just like mine. I laughed because I knew they usually have very small plants, but much to my surpise this was bigger than all of my plants. I cut off the pitcher but it had maybe 2 inches on my titan :O Also next to it is my capensis, ventricosa, and truncata behind the ventricosa
2s6wz9g.jpg

And finally my drosera spathulatas. Just wanted to make a comparison to last august when I repotted them.
25ozcw1.jpg

mwu103.jpg

Nice. I have a lucophylla titan too. Love your ventricosa. I hope I get one one day. I have a big miranda too. I need to update my thread on it because it was going sideways too and I tied it to a small trellis and it's better now.

Nice. I have a lucophylla titan too. Love your ventricosa. I hope I get one one day. I have a big miranda too. I need to update my thread on it because it was going sideways too and I tied it to a small trellis and it's better now.

Yeah I was really disappointed with my titan last season, it sent up all small pitchers then sent up one big one during fall time just to tease me.

Yeah ventricosa's are extremely vigorous, more vigorous than my miranda so far. And I once read when the vine starts growing sideways it makes more growth points, which is exactly what happened. I'll have to take some better pictures of it tomorrow.

And I would love to see some of your pics :D

Thanks. I posted a pic of my miranda in the nepenthes forum. I think it's on page two now. I'll post a pic of it tied to the trellis soon. Perhaps tomorrow. I just posteda video you might like of some Sarracenias. I like my Titan. I hope it will make nice pitchers this year for me.

Back