What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

canon nifty fifty w/ 25mm tube

• Thread starter Av8tor1
  • Start date
woohoo, I likz this....

Opened box, put tube on camera, and took pic in under 15 mins LOL

freehand with ambient lighting even :woot:

cant wait to do some focus stacking with the 100mm macro

cape_close.jpg

Canon 50mm f1.8 lens/ Canon EF 25II extension tube

Last edited:
Nice :) its an awesome lens allright.

yeppers, my fav all purpose lens for sure and the cheapest

I have nothing to compare it to, but I do like the Canon extension tube... very tight, takes effort to fully index the lens into locked position.
Even the big 100mm is rock solid with zero play

A woot woot for craigslist on that little purchase

I like being able to get that close again, I was missing that flexibility :)

Success! :D
~Joe

yep, thanks Joe.... wouldnt have been possible w/o your help mate
I've PM'ed ya :hail:

Its like Christmas in April, my new tripod also arrived today

Nice, love that lens!

Cool pic - can't wait for more (especially w/ stacking!). :boogie:

Questions:
- does this combo produce a larger image size than your macro?
- the 50mm focal length is w/ full size sensor?

amazing.. Wanna come over and take a BUTT TON of pics for me?!?! :lol:

Cool pic - can't wait for more (especially w/ stacking!). :boogie:

Questions:
- does this combo produce a larger image size than your macro?
ummm no, dont hold me to this, and Larry/Tali might be a better person to ask.... but as I understand it, with the 50mm lens/25mm tube the magnification rate is approx. 0.65:1 while the 100mm macro/25mm tube is 1.2:1 (which is less of an increase in percentage with the 100mm 1:1 macro lens) I've only had the 100mm/25mm combo on once and only for just a sec... but I could immediately tell the DOF is extremely small with that combo... exxxxxxxxxxxxxtremely small LOL

1) M = b/a
2) 1/a + 1/b = 1/f
3) MFD = a + b

where
M: Magnification
a: lens-to-subject distance
b: lens-to-film/sensor distance
f: focal length

(numbers may be a little off, im at school and using internet based data)

- the 50mm focal length is w/ full size sensor?

yes, but FWIW the new CanonEF-S 60mm macro is rated for the cropped sensor, errr I think...
HTH's
Av

Last edited:
amazing.. Wanna come over and take a BUTT TON of pics for me?!?! :lol:

just turn loose of some of the rusty old tarantula money you got stashed away ;-)

it's 50mm on full size sensor, and 85ish mm on aps-c sensors (canon double and triple digit series)

http://www.mystd.de/album/calculator/

Of course you could just take a picture of a scale or rule at minimum focus along the long axis. Then divide the sensor long dimension by that measurement. I think Canon EOS sensors are 22.7 x 15.1mm. So if the scale/ruler in the image shows 11mm the magnification would be ~2x

Looks great. Funny timing, I've been shopping around for the nikon 50mm 1.8, and a set of extension tubes. Gonna get a reverse mount too. Your pic makes me want to get this stuff even more.

You people and your photography skills/knowledge... always makin' me jealous. ;c

fantastic B. Wow!! I remember reading about extension tubes. Never even saw how one looks. But yes...I did read that getting the focus right is a little bit of chore with those.

100mm Macro w/tube

Thanks V, its basically just a spacer between the lens and camera... you can get them for just a few bucks with no electical contacts all the way up to full autofocus/exposure control (within limits)

I put the 100mm on tonight and took a couple quickies....

IMG_1786.jpg

(cropped image, i need some practice)

hehehehe, fun :)

I left this one full size... so Ill just link to it ;)
http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/canon/IMG_1784.JPG

I started to upload it in tiff format but it was like 75 meg LOL

omg I love that tripod :)

Holy friggin' cow. Link to the 100mm? That's incredible.

A few words of caution with lower end extension tubes without electronics.

1) You will not get focus confirmation. Some cameras will not take an exposure without focus confirmation.

2) You will have to manually focus. This can be difficult depending on your eyesight, how bright your viewfinder is, how steady your hand is and how much the subject is moving.

3) You will have to shoot in "stop-down" mode. This means you have to close down the aperture manually to determine the exposure. The viewfinder will go darker the smaller the aperture set. This makes it difficult or impossible to focus while stopped down. You can open the aperture to full to focus but you must remember to stop it back down for the proper exposure. If the lens does not have a manual aperture setting ring on it you will not be able to change or set the f stop.

Great advice Warren :)

With my 'old' film camera, I had (actually still have them & everything else) a set of 3 extension tubes (3 different sizes). I used to take all kinds of macro shots - but as we know, the film experience is a bit different than the digital one (shoot pic, advance, shoot next pic, finish roll, send away for processing and see what you did in a week or two). While I enjoyed it immensely, the frustration level was also very high.

With today's lenses, extension tubes, immediate feedback and digital stacking - wowza! The potential just blows my mind ... :boogie:

... and Av's & Larry's posts just keep taunting me .... :-O

Back