Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Identity theft?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because of bad credit I don't have a credit card so I use a money order, you just have to use a nursery that excepts them. I get mine from safeway and I think walmart also do. They cost less then a dollar usually. the one bad thing is it can take longer to receive your order since they have to varify payment. It's better then nothing, Jack
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those last few posts bring to mind something else, a Visa or Amex gift card, usable wherever they take Visa or Amex. It's a preloaded amount, no ties to any id, nothing. Not even the name/routing/account numbers they'd have if you mailed a check. (One of the main reasons I use checks as little as possible.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem! Andy (Moderator here,) took money in an envelope... however it was at my own risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halt View Post
    I had the same problem! Andy (Moderator here,) took money in an envelope... however it was at my own risk.
    You mailed cash? Wow, I'm amazed it got there in one piece!

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've made arrangements quite a few times with people in the same position to get their order done. I've never had the money not show up, not saying it never will... but I've yet to have a problem. ...I say this as I'm waiting for some apparently lost Nep seeds to arrive. haha

For the record, stores can store your CC information- I'm not sure if it's enough for that person to use the card or otherwise steal your info... But I have seen the option to have payment information stored. I DO NOT. Also, if you select paypal as your payment method (also available in my store) i cannot see your payment information what so ever- they are completely 3rd person and do not pass along anything other than what we need to know (payment received, confirm shipping address etc.)

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KDodds View Post
    Those last few posts bring to mind something else, a Visa or Amex gift card, usable wherever they take Visa or Amex. It's a preloaded amount, no ties to any id, nothing. Not even the name/routing/account numbers they'd have if you mailed a check. (One of the main reasons I use checks as little as possible.)
    Yeah! Something like this: http://www.mastercard.us/prepaid-gift-card.html .
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PayPal is good. I've never had a problem (knock on wood). Or, if there is ever a problem, well, PP HQ is only a couple miles down the road from me.

All of the above advice is very good. I can't be sure, but I think, IMHO, that you are more likely to have your credit/debit card scanned & scammed while you're eating out than having it scammed online.

I have always recommended to people I talk to to take eBay's "spooftorial." Let me see if I can find it.... Ah! Here we go. http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/index.html Here is the page it's on, plus a few more new ones. Look to the left; read the first five, then continue, if you wish.This was written for eBay, but it is applicable everywhere. I used to be a regular participant in the forums there, but when they changed the format, I didn't like the change, and left.
    Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; 04-26-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Spelling FAIL
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some envelopes are very thin flimsy paper..if you just stick some cash in it, the money will be visable to the world!

So if you do mail cash, or a check, in the mail, make sure you use a "safety envelope" that is somewhat opaque..plus wrap the check or cash in a sheet of plain copy paper..just to make it more difficult for someone to hold the envelope up to the light and see the cash or check within..

IMO, only buying from the "big" shops is MORE risky than buying from the small shops..(as long as the small shops have a secure webpage for ordering, and most do) only because the big places are much more likely to be hacked..Amazon.com is probably a constant target for hacker criminals, while "Joe's nursery" in a small town, isnt..(of course amazon probably has better security too..but still..you see the point..I doubt any legitimate on-line CP nursery is any more "risky" than any large national "catalog" nursery..)

Scot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast