Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Identity theft?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Identity theft?

My parents are too scared to order off online suppliers of CP because they are too scared about identity theft. they only order form big chain companies none of which are CP nurseries. I am restricted to the plants at lowes and at local nurseries.

can anyone provide suggestions for this situation?
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." --George Carlin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use PayPal or a similar secure payment method
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A credit card company can get hacked and them lose your information a whole lot easier than someone steal your credentials off of a secured website with encrypted information being sent between you and them. For example, the credit card company could print out your info and leave it in clear text in their trash and someone could steal it, saftey password or your pin and all. Or, a disgruntled credit card employee could tell a malicious hacker about username/password information to use to get into their databases also getting your information stolen out there. Also, Paypal is useful because you could put your credit card into/through that, and because most online vendors use it these days and because it uses secure http, you would never have to transmit your information unencrypted/in clear text so nobody could steal it mid-transmission.

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many places are very safe to order from, and one of them is Flytrapshop, many members here have ordered from the shop, and it helps keep the board running. No has had a bad experience or anything of that sort.

Also, when you order online the information isn't really given to the payee, just the name of the person who paid. Also make sure that when you are IN the process of order (i.e. putting cc information in) that the URL says https:// that means the information is secure.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto. Or, believe it or not, smaller growers/nurseries that do not keep online databases, do not remember you, etc. Most of the time, they're either hosted by a megaISP/hosting company with security up the wazoo, or they have unconventional forms that send them an email or something like that, and/or they're using an unconventional database platform (i.e. Access or freeware or something, not SQL or Oracle). That makes a huge difference. Most hacks come from blind (not knowing the IP beforehand, or scanning for it), brute force (either repeated attempts or a hack around password bypass program) attacks. These generally come out of Asia. They're almost never looking for anything but Microsoft SQL Servers, but occasionally Oracle as well. Ebay/Paypal is probably the best and easiest method. I'd trust most of the larger CP suppliers listed in Barry Rice's FAQ.

And, painfully slow thought it may be, you can always CALL the vendor and ask if you can place an order on the phone and mail out a check. Most vendors should be willing to accomodate as long as you're willing to wait until the check clears. Or better, use a money order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the post office still do money orders? Or how about cashier's checks from your bank?

found this as an option:
    You could go to http://instantgiftcards.net and purchase a gift card to you favorite online shop. The gift card claim code is delivered instantly, so you can go shopping right away! This is a great solution to not having the Paypal plugin anymore.
    ... and this was also suggested:
    I also liked the Paypal plugin. However, “Citibank Diamond” has virtual credit cards. Basically you can generate one time or multi use credit cards. You can set the range of the expiration date, and the value of the card, & have the ability to cancel the card anytime (online). Though its a credit card, as opposed to debit, it is more flexible than the Paypal plugin. Also, if you pay the total balance monthly, you have the protection of using a credit card, with no interest. It’s nice to have alternatives though, which is what I have been searching for.
    Apparently the 'Paypal plugin' was a single-use debit card for people who were concerned about identity theft...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently had my amazon account hacked. They caught it and reversed all charges ($1300). It happens, it's a risk of doing business. Whether online or in person, there's always a chance. Despite my experience, I still do business online. Out of the many hundreds of transactions I've done online, I've never had a problem, and the amazon hack was random. Use complex passwords, never fall for phishing scams, check for https, pay with cc (not debit), make sure your computer is free of viruses, keyloggers, malware, use a secure wireless signal. Even then, it's possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everything Nightsky noted & would just add to check your accounts weekly for any unusual activity. Programs like Quicken make this fairly painless. I've been scammed a few times but survived with minimal impact (thankfully).

However, I suspect Raymond will not be able to change his parent's minds - especially if they've had a very traumatic experience with ID theft.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast