User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning an end of June trip: help, where to go?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planning an end of June trip: help, where to go?

So I'm thinking about going up to Northern California/ Southern Oregon the week of the 20th of June and poking around to find some Darlingtonia sites. The following Saturday is the BACPS Summer Show and Sale, which would be perfect timing to hit that up before returning back home to San Diego (and have a nice big airport from which to fly home). The weekend before is actually a LACPS meeting too. Anyways, after the BACPS I'd chill in San Diego for a day and water my plants after that, then...

The following week, the week of the 27th, I want to poke around the East coast of the US. Europe would just be a little too far I think (sorry Talie ) and I think it would be too expensive for me to stay at nice hotels all the time so I might just crash with my folks in Vermont and try to drive up to Montreal to see if y'alls in Canada feel like getting together sometime. I don't think I'd be spending a weekend in Canada though because I'd have to be flying in or out then, but maybe a weekday or weekday evening? I'd love to hop up to the biodome!! But also I'd love it if I could maybe hit up some folks around the Carolinas to go see some VFTs in the wild, or if people have suggestions for any botanical gardens (not Georgia - already did Atlanta before ) I should go visit. Or if you just want to hang out, but then you'd have to let me crash at your place or give me some good suggestions on cheap hotels around the area because my money tree is growing in a drought-stricken area

I guess what I'm saying is already have the 19th June week planned out, and want suggestions for that second week of the 27th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn i was going to suggest Atlanta. Then you could have came to see me. But have you ever heard of the okefenokee swamp? If not here are the type of carnivorous plants that grow there. Sarracenia flava, Sarracenia minor, Sarracenia psittacina, Drosera rotundifolia, Pinguicula lutea, and Utricularia inflata and a few more. Here are some great websites on what you can do there and what they have. http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/...amp/wildnotes/ http://www.sarracenia.com/trips/ga012003.html

Hope this helps and you come to visit.

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Fairly cheap and you can take canoe rides and cool stuff like that. There are also a few other places in Ga you can go to see carnivorous plants. Like in the mountians to see the Sarracenia oreophila.

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm too bad you couldn't go to Newfounland & Labrador Ms. Z, there are populations of purpurea, and some dew species.

Not entirely sure if there are any in Ontario...
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drop Ozzy an email, I'm bet he would give you a tour of the Green Swamp.

Virginia: Phil would probably welcome you at Meadowview. And there is Rob Sacilotto.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love you very much Zu but a chance to see Meadowview and BogMan is far greater than seeing me + Florida swamp *nods*
    Although, I'll go ahead throw out that there's Okefenokee in Florida, too :3

And if he doesn't see this, you can totally ask Brian Barnes about Florida stuffs, he's very smart and has a great collection and undoubtedly knows of way more sites and stuff than me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True the Okefenokee does cross the border a little bit. Isn't it more in Florida than Ga?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever think of Lake Michigan area? Either Chicago or Indiana. There are a few kettle bogs nearby in Indiana and Illinois.

Tons of houses, hotels, and resorts on the Lakeshore to rent out for the week/weekend with Sarracenia, Drosera, and Utrics all nearby.

I personally have never been to the bogs. I was planning a trip up there myself in the next year or two, whenever I have time that is.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're ever in WNY....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast