User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Mt Roraima 2011 2nd Expedition Pics SUPER DUPER DIAL UP WARNING! LOTS OF LARGE PICS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine what it would be like to be up there. Good thing you posted these picks because now I don't have to! Congrats on the opportunity!

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was like this:

Then it became this

I am truly envious Jonathan. Wow!! Amazing pics of a miraculous place. wow!! Those utrics..those helis....the community....BAAAAAAAAAAH.....Just awsome.

Even though I love nepenthes more than helis...nothing...and absolutely nothing matches the community and collective beauty of the tepui. Truly surreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahaha....seriously! the whole experience was more than I could ever imagine it to be (in good and in bad, lol!)

i asked Stew if any of these plants on the top of the tepui were in cultivation, he replied, none that he knew of....i was so tempted to bring seeds and stuff home he also was pretty pessimistic about the whole conservation aspect as well, talking of how the ecosystem is going to probably turn over within 10 years.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks amazing. lets hope for the best on the conservation.
    --------
    z

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So did u bring any seed back home? haha!! I would assume not. Would probably have been one of the first instructions before getting on the mountain. NO TOUCHING...NO NIPPING. lol I agree...lol...if everytime a group goes up and nips things...soon enough there will be nothing left. Collections need to be made... but I think in a responsible fashion with the involvement of international botanic gardens/local conservation groups that collaborate with commercial agencies that allow a safe and valid method of providing these amazing plants to the public and recording a bit of the genetic diversity. But I am sure EVERYONE has their own opinion on this matter. Then the question arises about .. why do they have the right to get this?...etc...but well...debates go on.

What perplexes me is about what I mentioned previously in the case of nepenthes horticulture from places such as Mt. Kinabalu. I mean these conditions are perfect... use these conditions to CULTIVATE stock plants within the diverse environment and sell them at a premium. So a small patch of land on the tepui where plants are artifically placed in a setting and used to harvest batches of seed/seedlings for commercial sale. It would be a fantastic source of income for the local conservation efforts, reduce poaching and meet demands of collectors and ethusiaists alike. One such actual example where is works is in ecuador..from ecuagenera. They use the cloud forests to propogate local orchids and provide them for cultivation. --- I do realize in the case of the tepui, the logistics of this plan is unrealistic. I mean you can only harvest once a year and the airfuel required to airlift plants/seed will mean the plants will have to be sold at ridiculous prices to break even.

But yeah...I remember also reading that all these trips are actually damaging the tepui by compacting the soil, littering etc... These places have evolved without human interference or the presence of any large animals that can compact soil. Slight disturbances or repeated disturbances can have long term, but not short term impact. Add to that the global warming situation and we are definitely looking at a remodelling of the earth's ecosystems in the centuries to come. For sure with all the disturbance, habitat destruction, there will definitely be a decrease in diversity as only ultra-resilient species can hang on during these times of change as the more delicate ones perish.
    Last edited by vraev; 04-30-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vraev, hahaha....touchy subject. it would be nice if we were able to do things that way, but unfortunately, reality sucks....not to mention many of the nice heliamphora take a while to grow, even in the wild. i cant even begin to imagine how old some of those D. roraimae or B. reducta, or Heliamphora are, it just boggles the mind!

That being said, as controversial as it may sound, I dont mind if a few select individuals did take a few propagules back home, provided two conditions are met: 1) that they know EXACTLY how to keep the plant, aka an experienced Heliamphora grower bringing back Heli seeds, and 2) they have the means also to replicate this said plant, and be able to distribute it to the public. By doing so, these plants will be able to enter cultivation at a reasonable rate, and greatly reduce the desire or need to poach more plants in the wild. A few decent people who are capable of this come to my mind, and even further, one of them was able to obtain a representative of a population that was shortly wiped out later---so there can even be a conservative aspect to the story as well. What would be a great travesty is if novice CP growers pillaged the lands and decimated the populations, and all the plants die back at home....i know this isnt a solve all--- i dont even want to dabble in conservation regarding North American CPs.

good thing the Venezuelan government is adamant about keeping things in the tepuis. if you were caught with any flora or fauna at their checkpoints, you'd be automatically thrown in prison!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing photos. What a magical place. Thanks for posting these.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW, beautiful pictures of what appear to have been a very memorable trip. Thanks for sharing.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast