What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet another RO unit thread

agreed, hence the reason to use the permeate pump....
I have also tried to express the need for maximum pressure differential for years.... just look through this thread as evidence.

But why do you recommend not having the DI stage after the pressure tank in a permeate pump equipped system?
That is what I don't understand

Agreed - not as big an issue in a system with pp.

Here's some data re DI resin life based upon % rejection.

DIresinlifeatvariousrejectionrates.jpg

yeah, resin life has never been an issue.... ive only had to change mine a couple times in the last 6-7 years, but I do have a well designed system if i do say so....

I agree, with poor rejection ratio... resin life would suffer greatly, hence your recommendation to run it seperate from the pressure tank under those conditions.

I was just wanting to understand the logic behind the statment

(I teach fluid power and industrial filtration at local community college, so its sort of a pet area of mine)

(I teach fluid power and industrial filtration at local community college, so its sort of a pet area of mine)

Very cool!

By "fluid power" - meaning hydraulics?

Hydraulics is the majority of it, but also head calculations using various liquids, pneumatics, centrifugal pumps etc...

Corps of Engineers get some of my students for their Hydroelectric Dam engineering program in Nashville. Toyota Mfg. USA gets a few, etc.... so I try to cover all the bases at least a little.

Butch, BuckeyeFS,

Thank you for the additional info. It definitely deepens my understanding of how this works. I am going to look into buying the permiate pump in the nearest future and perhaps rearranging the pump position as suggested with he use of extra filter.

For now I think that getting RODI system was by far the best decision I have made in a loong time. Saves me so much time and effort!!!

Permeate pumps are IMHO by far the single best upgrade for a pressurized tank system...

However, they are also practically useless on systems without a pressure tank.

I built mine back in 2005, upgraded it to my liking and it has run smooth ever since....

Since then I am on my second membrane and second batch of DI beads.
Mine sees daily use with supporting all my plants, 2 humidifiers, ice maker and drinking water/coffee etc.
I couldnt imagine not having it now.

Last edited:
Back