Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another RO unit thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will do. I'm not sure what kind of questions to ask a seller, though, haha.

I've got a question for you, though: how many stages is yours? I would guess 5 or 6, but I might be crazy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 stages of prefiltering, first is sediment only and next two are carbon block.
    Then the RO membrane and DI then a final carbon filter which is fed post holding tank

It would be called a 3 stage with DI I guess (some might call it 4 or 5)

Questions to ask

Does it include a bypass valve for cleaning (yes is desirable)
    Are the DI beads replaceable or is it a cartridge ( I like replaceable, cheaper to maintain)
    What size is the ASO valve (90% is nice for permeate pump systems, 60 is normal for non)
    What is the suggested brine rate (4:1 is common)
    etc.

some of these questions is just to see if the vendor knows what he is talking about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, looking through some ebay postings, I'm seeing a lot of units that look quite similar to yours but are being called 6-stage units. I am having trouble finding one with a permeate pump, too, but lots with the holding tank for pretty cheap.

This is the dominating one on ebay right now, seller has good ratings. Again, though, no permeate pump.

I might also note that my tap water is about 60ppm, so I'm not looking at a terrible starting place. As I understand it, that should increase the efficiency of a system for me, right?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that looks like a very respectable unit, it does have the RI beads/tank/cleaning bypass valve... etc, you might contact him and see if they can add the permeate pump if you want it

60ppm will make life very easy on your system and the membrane and DI beads will last a long time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent, I'll contact the seller, then, with some questions and report my findings.

You're awesome, thanks for all the input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm neither hot, nor bothered. This is just something I know quite a bit about and with which I have had a great deal of experience as an aquarist and on the retail end (many moons ago). I was just curious as maybe you weren't aware of the specs and pricing and running costs, etc. Now, if you have SUPER hard water, you'd definitely need a DI on the end as the Kold Ster-il unit does not strip the most common contents of hard water, Calcium and Magnesium. This WILL increase your costs, so pegging down to 0 TDS (or less than 50), depending on your water supply as I said before, may be more worth the RO. But if all you want to outlay is in the range mentioned, it's a moot point. In that case, the Typhoon II is also out of your range, but only just. Keep in mind it's a 150gpd unit and includes amenities most systems don't, like auto shut-off, TDS alarm and in-line metering, float valve (for filling vats, I use Rubbermaid Roughnecks, bulkheaded and PVC'd in an array of 4 32g cans), saddle valve, drain saddle, etc. Using this unit, I've been able to keep my 400ppm source below 50ppm for over a year, under 10ppm for about 9 months, without replacements. If your goal is 0ppm, I'd suggest a 6-9 month replacement schedule of ALL parts, membrane and filters.

I'm fairly certain that the 5,000 gallon calculation is a mistype somewhere (and from what I remember, is based on whole house use, anyway). Each Kold Ster-il cart is rated for 150,000 gallons to ANSI/NSF Standard. Hardness/Alkalinity doesn't really play into that lifespan as it has no effect there anyway. But it would play into the kati/ani end, where you might find, again depending on your source water, that RO is more effective (cheaper) than replacing DI carts.

Anyway, moot all of it as you've found your unit I guess, but this might be helpful to others who might read it, either way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't read all of the posts in between post 1 and here, but I paid $230 for my 100gpd unit. And I love it.

http://homeharvest.com/waterpurification.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, it just seemed like you were coming in on a pretty high horse and discounting all the rest of the internet's opinion, regardless of source and not even bothering to ask for a source (not that it would've mattered 'cause I can't remember XD ). Obviously a misunderstanding.

I would certainly be willing to give KS units a closer look if not for the cost. Unfortunately, I'm not buying an RO unit out of want, but necessity. My wife and I are going on a 3-week vacation this summer and leaving a good friend of ours with a key to take care of the plants. She's already doing so much for us, I could never ask her to run to the grocery store every few days to refill a ton of water jugs. That said, I can't afford to spend the money a KS unit demands right now. I'm very well aware that the long-term cost could be far less than an RO unit in terms of waste and whatnot and I am the first one to jump on an investment, but again, I simply cannot afford to spend that kind of money right now and, right now, I need something. So RO it is. ;p

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast