Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible Radiation Exposure Experiment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vbkid View Post
    ... strike rate of leaf pullings from drosera exposed to varying levels etc.
    I like this and in addition, deformation types & quantity for gamma vs neutron radiation.

Do you have dews that reliably produce offshoots in water and have lots of leaves from which to start (filiformis or hybrida come to mind). Let me know if you have a problem sourcing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Physalaemus View Post
    The research might be more interesting if you could demonstrate a real world application.
    Seems that some real-life potential applications have shown themselves recently (Chernobyl, Japan ....).
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, they make those UV sterilization wands for vegetables. It might be worth trying that out as a "home remedy" for improving TC success. I would be worried about using them on developing corms, but cuttings should be fine with a quick exposure.
    The UV sterilization wands are a good idea, but I'm not sure if they will kill the bacteria within the plants cells. I think those primarily kill surface bacteria.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Seems that some real-life potential applications have shown themselves recently (Chernobyl, Japan ....).
    These days, biological research (especially government-funded) tends to require more justification than that. How many Nepenthes are found within fallout range of nuclear power plants?

Don't get me wrong, I especially value research for the sake of research, but it was a suggestion to make sure his work would be publishable and productive. This is an issue I've struggled with for years.

As for the wand thing, that's a good point. The penetration required to hit things within tissues would undoubtedly penetrate the meristem. My feeling is that you'd see some negative effects, but that IS why we do experiments :P

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These days, biological research (especially government-funded) tends to require more justification than that. How many Nepenthes are found within fallout range of nuclear power plants?
    I don't know if you've been doing any personal research on the subject or not, but Southeast Asia is not all that far away from Japan, despite currents that don't head that way. Anyway, the point is, that North American carnivores, specifically the ones in my area will be and are located within range of recent nuclear fallout.

The recent disaster has elevated levels of radiation throughout the entire Northern and soon to be Southern Hemisphere.

I, for one, will be very interested to see how some of the more delicate species of Sphagnum bog plants will grow this Summer.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate allthe feedback, keep it coming!

One thing I would definitely like to address is that the recent Japan incidents will have absolutely no effect on us hear in the states nor Europe. No need to head to bunkers anytime soon!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vbkid View Post
    I appreciate allthe feedback, keep it coming!

One thing I would definitely like to address is that the recent Japan incidents will have absolutely no effect on us hear in the states nor Europe. No need to head to bunkers anytime soon!
    Now that is a really presumptive declaration to make, though I'd love to see what research or sources you've found that state that. I'd like very much for it to be true.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Realistically here, how probably is it that you'll be able to work on any of these ideas? Don't know about you guys, but my lab is having a hard enough time trying to get someone to gamma irradiate soil for our PI and a well-published post-doc. Research is expensive stuff, so I have to agree with Physalaemus on this one; I'm not sure how feasible even a well-conceived project would be. Around these parts, facilities with the capability to do what you're considering are pretty heavily restricted in terms of security, funding, and red tape.

If you can get something going, awesome. Keep us posted; sorry if I sound jaded.
    »\(║_o)/» ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little bit of ingenuity is all it takes:

http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12