What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Radiation Exposure Experiment

Vbkid

Getting There...
I mentioned something to this effect last year, but I again have the opportunity to possibly conduct an experiment with regards to radiation effects on plants.
I am studying nuclear engineering and I might be spending the summer on campus taking a class/working on my current research project, and thought as a side project I might utilize the nuclear reactor on campus.
Initial thoughts for experiments are germination rates of drosera seed from varying levels of exposure, strike rate of leaf pullings from drosera exposed to varying levels etc.

Does anyone have any other interesting suggestions for what I might conduct?
Also thoughts of seeing how neutron exposure measured up in sterilizing media compared to the photon exposure experienced in a microwave...this could have many applications

All suggestions are welcome!

--
Also, conveniently, our delivery system is large enough to accommodate small TC vials, I wonder if something could be done with those!

LOL make a triffid ;)

The research might be more interesting if you could demonstrate a real world application.

UV radiation is certainly something that these plants would be naturally exposed to and are adapted to deal with. Within highland species, some plants live in conditions with higher insolation than others (i.e. north slope vs south slope). You could compare closely related species that are adapted to different levels of UV exposure and measure growth / seed set / germination following exposure.

You may also take highland species that normally produce photo-protective pigments (reds for the most part), and grow some under UV blocking filters, then hit both protected and unprotected plants with uv and measure x, y, z fitness-related variables.

Either of these types of projects have real world application beyond "what happens if a power plant melts-down near carnivorous plants". The trick would be if you have the capability to excite photons to the right wavelength. Otherwise, there's no need to use you fancy machinery :p

I will be away doing field work for most of the summer, but let me know if there's anyway I can help. I'm a PhD in Biology :p

One real world application I considered was sterilization of seed/TC material from alpha particles. Having a penetrating depth of only 5 cells or so, I was considering whether it would be possible to use it as a sterilization technique without harming the plant. What if nepenthes could successfully be sterilized this way?

Sterilize them from pathogens you mean? Or purposefully make them sterile? I suppose both are possible but I'm not sure why you'd want the second option :p

Sterilize from pathogens, I know one problem with Nep TC is that they are much harder to properly sterilize.

I would try and sterilize the soft tissue of nepenthes using radiation without killing the plants cells.
I'm pretty sure it could be done, it may come quickly or take a while.

If you were to find a way to do this relatively safe, please try and make a kit for the TC people of our community.

You know, they make those UV sterilization wands for vegetables. It might be worth trying that out as a "home remedy" for improving TC success. I would be worried about using them on developing corms, but cuttings should be fine with a quick exposure.

... strike rate of leaf pullings from drosera exposed to varying levels etc.
I like this and in addition, deformation types & quantity for gamma vs neutron radiation.

Do you have dews that reliably produce offshoots in water and have lots of leaves from which to start (filiformis or hybrida come to mind). Let me know if you have a problem sourcing them.

The research might be more interesting if you could demonstrate a real world application.
Seems that some real-life potential applications have shown themselves recently (Chernobyl, Japan ....).

You know, they make those UV sterilization wands for vegetables. It might be worth trying that out as a "home remedy" for improving TC success. I would be worried about using them on developing corms, but cuttings should be fine with a quick exposure.

The UV sterilization wands are a good idea, but I'm not sure if they will kill the bacteria within the plants cells. I think those primarily kill surface bacteria.

Seems that some real-life potential applications have shown themselves recently (Chernobyl, Japan ....).

These days, biological research (especially government-funded) tends to require more justification than that. How many Nepenthes are found within fallout range of nuclear power plants?

Don't get me wrong, I especially value research for the sake of research, but it was a suggestion to make sure his work would be publishable and productive. This is an issue I've struggled with for years.

As for the wand thing, that's a good point. The penetration required to hit things within tissues would undoubtedly penetrate the meristem. My feeling is that you'd see some negative effects, but that IS why we do experiments :p

These days, biological research (especially government-funded) tends to require more justification than that. How many Nepenthes are found within fallout range of nuclear power plants?

I don't know if you've been doing any personal research on the subject or not, but Southeast Asia is not all that far away from Japan, despite currents that don't head that way. Anyway, the point is, that North American carnivores, specifically the ones in my area will be and are located within range of recent nuclear fallout.

The recent disaster has elevated levels of radiation throughout the entire Northern and soon to be Southern Hemisphere.

I, for one, will be very interested to see how some of the more delicate species of Sphagnum bog plants will grow this Summer.

I appreciate allthe feedback, keep it coming!

One thing I would definitely like to address is that the recent Japan incidents will have absolutely no effect on us hear in the states nor Europe. No need to head to bunkers anytime soon!

I appreciate allthe feedback, keep it coming!

One thing I would definitely like to address is that the recent Japan incidents will have absolutely no effect on us hear in the states nor Europe. No need to head to bunkers anytime soon!

Now that is a really presumptive declaration to make, though I'd love to see what research or sources you've found that state that. I'd like very much for it to be true.

Realistically here, how probably is it that you'll be able to work on any of these ideas? Don't know about you guys, but my lab is having a hard enough time trying to get someone to gamma irradiate soil for our PI and a well-published post-doc. Research is expensive stuff, so I have to agree with Physalaemus on this one; I'm not sure how feasible even a well-conceived project would be. Around these parts, facilities with the capability to do what you're considering are pretty heavily restricted in terms of security, funding, and red tape.

If you can get something going, awesome. Keep us posted; sorry if I sound jaded.

Back