Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: God is coming back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say on the matter is this:

All the doomcriers that have been and are, all have been disappointed and all will continue to be diappointed. Of course, it doesn't sway them, even when their sources are disproven. I know of one cult that was disappointed by their "savior" and his sworn statement of an actual end date, which came and went, twice, and we're all still here. That guy's now in jail for kid touching. And then you have guys like Applewhite and Jones who make damn sure that their followers can never question them. And this too shall pass (the current resurgence of doomcriers, not the world, at least not any time soon).

What I want to know is this:

When a doomcrier dies, does his soul mop it's ephemeral brow with a "Phew, I made is out". Or, does he stamp his foot petulantly and exclaim, "Crap, I missed all the misery!"?

And this:

Why is it that every doomcrier on the face of the planet feels an urgent need to shove their belief into the face of anyone who'll listen? And it really doesn't seem to even matter if they'll agree, argue, or remain indifferent.

And this:

Why is it that those who profess most loudly that it's impossible to know the mind of god are also those who think they know the mind of god?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KDodds View Post
    And this:

Why is it that those who profess most loudly that it's impossible to know the mind of god are also those who think they know the mind of god?
    Have you ever seen little kids playing a make-believe game?
    "Well I shoot you with my laser gun so you're dead."
    "Nuh-uh! I have laser-proof armor so your laser bounces off me and hits you, so you're dead!"
    "No you're dead, 'cuz my laser gun is anti-laser-proof so your armor just disintegrates!"
    {etc., etc.}
    ...I think it's kind of like that.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I agree with a lot of the criticism here, this thread is starting to head towards inadvertent flaming of a misguided 14 yr old kid. Having a mod lock the thread might be prudent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin-DS View Post
    Btw, what happens in 2068-2069 is rlly funny
    Wow! you saw that too...
    Sturgeon's Law:
    "Nothing is always absolutely so".

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm more than a little upset that these fanatics would say that the 21st is the day of rapture. That's the day after my 21st birthday! How am I supposed to be going to heaven hungover?? Also, I have a musical performance on the 21st. If god interrupted my set, that would be a major buzzkill.

But seriously, it's my opinion that we are at a point in our species' timeline where any concentration or energy spent towards imagining or preparing for the worst will only inhibit us from doing our best.

Apocalyptic scenarios and the end times just distract from major issues that we, as a species, could otherwise be dealing with. (Deforestation, pollution, climate change, mass extinction, Nuclear disasters)

Instead people are saying oh my lordy the lord is coming we better be afraid and start praying now!

Don't pray,

Do something! Do something that might, at the very least, save the future of the delicate and awesome plants that all of us love!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think some of us have missed the entire point of Ean's post. The biblical passages had nothing to do with predicting a year, day, hour, etc. It clearly states "But of the day and the hour no one knows, except my Father in heaven only." If you read it in context, it simply means God is coming back, but no one knows the day. That seems far from a date setting psycho to me Any "Christian" that attempts to set a specific date is operating outside of what Christianity advocates.

To play the devil's advocate here, what if Ean is not a "misguided 14 year old." What if there is truth in his post? See the irony I don't think he is a troll at all. In fact, I think the kid's got guts

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
    To play the devil's advocate here, what if Ean is not a "misguided 14 year old." What if there is truth in his post? See the irony I don't think he is a troll at all. In fact, I think the kid's got guts
    Thank you. While I don't agree with his (apparent) opinion, I don't think we have any reason to be calling his credibility into question. The OP does seem to imply that this is something that will be happening soon, though, and that's what I object to - particularly when coupled with the rather contradictory quotation.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    Thank you. While I don't agree with his (apparent) opinion, I don't think we have any reason to be calling his credibility into question. The OP does seem to imply that this is something that will be happening soon, though, and that's what I object to - particularly when coupled with the rather contradictory quotation.
    ~Joe
    I hope it's not soon... I am enjoying my toys

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast