What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another of my birds

Indiana Gardener

Got Drosera?
This is Hakuro, Hakuraikou's brother. He had a washing on Wednesday and yesterday was oiling day. I also made a video. Some jerk on youtube accused me of my birds being "fake". :crazy:

washing.jpg

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3fe0OY9w6xE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

David

:oops: Very cool!!!

Looks delicious. :)

Looks delicious. :)
First, he's too rare. Second, if I had to replace him, it's far too expensive. Third, his drum stick is only about the size of my thumb. Despite his head looking like a chicken, he's technically not. He stems from complicated hybrids of oceanic archipelago fowl. So he eats sea food and rice, not corn. Corn is toxic to him. : )

Last edited:
Wow, how long does it take to grow feathers that long ?

They usually grow approximately three feet per year, but last month he put on 4.5". So it can vary.

Cool, how are they temper-wise? Our RIR got way to uppity to be keeping around (we've a 7yo, cat, and small dog that he'd attack on sight).

We've got a dozen (or so) Polish Top Hats hen chicks new this spring, and a dozen or so more that are looking for homes.

Wife's actually building the chicken coop and run herself as I'm pretty much useless from an intercostal tear. Yes, my wife is constructing. AND she's doing an awesome job of it. Eat your hearts out guys, next up on her list is a GH. :)

Pretty much what you see there in the vid is how they are. They're just very que sera sera and do next to nothing all day. Males of these can even be housed together as long as there are no hens in sight. These are over all very different fowl though. They aren't for chicken coops, free ranging, or egg production. They excel at neither of those things.

Wow that's amazing and looks like quite a bit of work as well. How often do you have to oil them?
At least they seem relatively calm about it.

Oiling frequency can vary from once every couple months to a couple times a month. It depends on the time of year and conditions. I just do it whenever they need it.

They're very calm. No restraint is required for trimming nails or clipping the tip of the upper mandible either when it overgrows.

Here's a link to other maintenance they require as demonstrated on his brother, Hakuraikou. Note that no restraint is required. The legs are just braced by hand when trimming the spurs. No restraint though.

http://onagadori.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/trimming-the-ever-growing-keratin-by-david-rogers/

Obviously, that bird is wearing a weave. :p
J/K. Very nice, though I don't think I could maintain that level of maintenance. Good on you.
YouTube people are awful. I watch videos by the electronics guru Jeri Ellsworth and the trolls on there make me want to pull my hair out. She's a self-trained engineer who built a Commodore-64-on-a-chip for one of those gamepads that plugs into a TV and has old games like Galaga and Centipede on it. Anyways, her dad was an auto mechanic and her first field of tinkering was racecars, and people constantly call her out on it, despite her name being easily found on a number of racing websites. She actually had to do a video showing old photos of frames she'd assembled just to try and shut them up.
But enough rambling; the moral of the story is that people who comment on YouTube videos are largely irrelevant idiots.
~Joe

That's crazy! Such a small birds and such long tail feathers. Do they ever get caught on anything?

That's crazy! Such a small birds and such long tail feathers. Do they ever get caught on anything?
They weigh right around 4 Lbs. They can get caught on about anything. If they are pulled, that blood supply I showed in the video can be tough to stop. They can bleed to death if they pull very many.

They can't have round perches. The feathers will wrap around a round surface like a bull whip when the bird leaps off of a round perch.

Oh my goodness, he's gorgeous!

Oh wow! Awesome rooster! Very nice work. :bigthumpup:

Back