What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've got one as you know, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll flower at the same time and happen to be different clones.

that would be awesome....or we can trade clones... :)

that works too :D, i hope it multiplies I'll take some pics of mine soon and add them to my sundew thread. It looks like death compared to yours.

so epic photodump time:

i have a few schizzies on the side...that's dew there. no spray bottle action. you think it likes me?
_MG_5732_zpsecc99c64.png

heliamphora *sigh* heterodoxa x ionasii
IMG_5741_zpscae91d94.png

drosera villosa being a good SA drosera by reminding me that im doing it wrong...
IMG_5742_zpscb88e891.png

drosera ascendens, the only SA drosera that im in amicable terms with...
IMG_5744_zps106accb0.png

heliamphora purpurescens for president! gaining a little color since last
IMG_5746_zps81b76a26.png

heliamphora sp "akopan"--she's blonde! i can deal with blondes....
IMG_5749_zps58af83d7.png

her myspace profile pic... zoom to see hairs
IMG_5750_zps47f5a4d8.png

heliamphora collina- have no idea how i keep on cracking her leaves...didnt even know it happened until i was about to take the shot.
IMG_5753_zps093e019e.png

utricularia campbelliana showing considerable growth. my fingernail is slightly larger than a dime for size reference. could end up with a flower this upcoming year!
IMG_5755_zps631e0393.png

Silly D. Villosa trying to impersonate a capensis :p

Everything is looking great, spectacular Heliamphora you got there :D

so epic photodump time:
Always love to see your updates - like chewing on some tasty CP candy ...

i have a few schizzies on the side...that's dew there. no spray bottle action. you think it likes me?
If it's green & has dew, it likes you. Schizzies aren't shy about sharing their feelings. LOL (It'll like you even more if you feed it)

drosera villosa being a good SA drosera by reminding me that im doing it wrong...
Several years ago, I snagged some D. villosa seed from the ICPS seedbank. I also traded for some D. ascendens seed with some Brazilian growers. The D. villosa was the most frustrating species I've ever grown. One of the plants grew like a champ and showed me that it was the real thing (although it had it's ups & downs). The others would grow, then die back in a never ending cycle. No matter what I did, I could not find a happy spot ... :censor:

utricularia campbelliana showing considerable growth. my fingernail is slightly larger than a dime for size reference. could end up with a flower this upcoming year!
I think there's a chance that the growth @ 11 o'clock from your thumb is a stalk (notice the shape & different color from the stolons coming out from it's sides). Good luck with it. The plant in my care refuses to flower even though it has established satellites all over it's moss island. Do you have a seasonal photoperiod?

@ron: no photoperiod changes. There are temp fluctuations as I have no control over the cold weather--I have no heater and whatever warmth the plants get is a product of the lights. I also reduce the frequency of times the ultrasonic turns on since excessive wet and cold triggers the sudden death syndrome. Lost quite a few heliamphora that way-- especially seedlings.

And if you are correct about the flowerstalks, that would mean the growth below the 11o'clock position is a flowerstalk as well. :0o:

And if you are correct about the flowerstalks, that would mean the growth below the 11o'clock position is a flowerstalk as well. :0o:
Yeah - I saw that one also but figured my neck was out far enough with the one prediction. :lol:

For some reason, 'tis the season for stalks. I've got a U. longifolia (in a 2.5" pot) sending up a 9" stalk. Two U. asplundii clones (in 2.5" pots) are sending some northward (as are the parents in larger pots - although one of them is always flowering). I'm even getting my 1st U. endresii stalk coming up. It would be nice if U. campby or U. quelchii or U. humbo also got the hint ... :woot:

Also - mailed a packet of N. aristolochioides pollen yesterday to a waiting female aristo - wish us luck!

Sweet Ron! I wish you best of luck with your project. May your pistols be receptive and sticky and your pollen grains, golden.

Speaking of which, you and Butch are both due for an epic photo dump. Tit for tat I say....

Great pictures amp! The first Heli looks great!

@drew: thanks, it was given originally to me as a H. heterodoxa 'gran sabana' but after posting pics on facebook, a few knowledgeable growers pointed out that the plant strongly resembled heliamphora heterodoxa x ionasii in both morphology and color--i ended up agreeing with their assessment.

Sweet pics. I especially like the heliamphora shots. You have u. campbelliana! I am so envious. :-O

Sweet pics. I especially like the heliamphora shots. You have u. campbelliana! I am so envious. :-O

hahaha. yes. i do--and if RON is right, i should have flowers and subsequently, seed within half a year or so.
Ron, you got me all giddy. if they turn out to be just stolons, im going to be sorely disappointed. :lol:

Edit: double checked. "Flower stalk" has side shoots. Not a flower

Last edited:
Very very nice heliamphora, Jon! That akopan is spectacular. I think the heterodoxa is actually heterodoxa x ionasii but it seems to lack the distinct interior hairs that ionasii has.

Last edited:
Oooh, puuurty, Jon . . .

tanks heli and david....
@heli: i guess time will tell...

Your D. ascendans looks good. Your D. villosa reminds me of my D. roraimae. What does this plant want?

@mark: if your roraimae looks like my villosa, yours isnt doing bad at all! hahahaha. you should see mine. i believe the prescription for roraimae's well being is to be watered with unicorn tears and planted in golden fleece.

I also reduce the frequency of times the ultrasonic turns on since excessive wet and cold triggers the sudden death syndrome. Lost quite a few heliamphora that way-- especially seedlings
Interesting. The only time I've seen this (as he quickly looks around for a shaman, but not finding one, settles for knocking on wood) has been when temps get above 80*F in the tank.

Speaking of which, you and Butch are both due for an epic photo dump. Tit for tat I say....
I've been repotting & propagating when I get a minute. Most of my stuff is already out there - but I keep adding pics in my growlist whenever something grabs my eye. I'll probably (hopefully) share pics when my 1st U. endresii flower pops...

Edit: double checked. "Flower stalk" has side shoots. Not a flower
Bummer (but won't be 1st nor last time I was wrong) LOL

@Ron: i believe the reason behind the heliamphora demise is two fold-- my region isnt known for its nice humid environments and so i tend to utilize a more dense mix of media to compensate for moisture retention. because of this, when winter comes around, there is much more excessive moisture that the media holds and not enough heat/dry weather to remove it. as a result the roots (i suspect) become smothered with dense media and they crap out and liquidate.

as you probably figured out, i learned to reduce the humidifier's frequency during the winter time the hard way....

Just went through the entire thing. MOAR PICS!

Back