What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cure for cancer.

• Thread starter Monkey
  • Start date
Wholeheartedly agreed, but the problem remains, some things are legal and others are not. There are also eastern medicinal/herbal/treatment alternatives that can and do work. Before extolling the virtues and advocating the use of something illegal, it is my opinion that ALL other options should be exhausted. My personal situation, what I believe to be right for me, is to put as little chemical in my body as possible that causes massive changes, psychological, physical, chemical, etc. And certainly nothing illegal, regardless, never been there, never will be.

Just to interject- it's kind of strange that you can take medical opiates like morphine, but not medical marijuana. I just don't see the difference. We crack down on Heroin, and yet we give morphine. Why should the drugs found in Cannabis not be the same? As Rattler suggests, pill forms would (should) not give the same side effects as morphine, due to the practically non-existent addictive nature of Cannabis. It's just entrenched thought to shy away from such drugs that could really help people ???
Just my thoughts on the matter :)

LOL, yeah, didn't say it made sense, what is and isn't legal... legality is sometimes funny like that. I remember reading how it was illegal to walk your chicken on a leash in NYC on a Sunday. Off lead, I guess okay, or any other day of the week. But the fact remains that using an illegal substance, whether it helps you or not, is, almost 100% of the time, not necessary. It's not *necessary* to break the law. And, trust me, ain't a cop in the world gonna care what you're suffering from if he finds your stash. He might let you go, if you're very, very lucky, but not with your "medicine".

There's really no excuse other than that you like doing it and you really don't care whether or not it's legal. There are SO many alternatives out there for so many different things, that all legal options, in most cases, can't have been exhausted. And, as for it not being addictive, hoo boy... maybe, MAYBE, there's no physical dependency factor, but man, try and tell a long term stoner that ther's no way he'll be smoking for the next month or two... Wow, worse than a smoker quitting, but not quite as bad as an alcoholic.

As far as marijuana used to relieve pain, I'd say the jury's still out on that one. I've now read quite a few studies and most require that it not be smoked. Injection being most effective, but short lived due to fat solubility. And, not effective at all for many people, but possibly an alternative to opiates once opiate receptors are fried (for whatever reason, but usually long-term use/abuse) if injected into the spine... absolutely no valid study I have read points to smoked or ingested marijuana being a long-term, broad-spectrum pain reliever, nor as a proven valid alternative therapy, with very few exceptions.

As far as marijuana used to relieve pain, I'd say the jury's still out on that one. I've now read quite a few studies and most require that it not be smoked. Injection being most effective, but short lived due to fat solubility. And, not effective at all for many people, but possibly an alternative to opiates once opiate receptors are fried (for whatever reason, but usually long-term use/abuse) if injected into the spine... absolutely no valid study I have read points to smoked or ingested marijuana being a long-term, broad-spectrum pain reliever, nor as a proven valid alternative therapy, with very few exceptions.

opiates are a poor long term pain reliever cause the duration is to short, tolerance built up to fast and they are highly addictive......another thing is pain does not equal pain......found out the hard way on this through personal experience.....

most the pain we are familiar with the acute pain from the ends of nerves.....cut yourself, break a bone, get a tooth pulled, pull a muscle in sports.....this is all pain at the end of nerves.....short term opiates work very well for this type of pain....as do other things, aspirin, tylenol, advil ect depending on just what happened....

there are other types.....from what i understand from a friend that passed away two years ago, pain from bone cancer is something thats hard to compare to anything else....opiates dont work well other than to knock yah out so maybe you dont have to "be there" to experience it.....but if it doesnt knock yah out it doesnt do much....

the type i am personally familiar with is pinching a nerve root.....blew a disks at L4-L5 and L5-S1....managed to fix L4-L5 through a couple physical therapies, last MRI i saw showed it was gone....L5-S1 eventually needed surgery.....will say with great conviction that opiates do not work for the phantom pain caused by something pushing on the nerve where it joins the spinal chord.....will also say do not knock anyone that winds up taking great deal of narcotics to seek relief......like with my friends bone cancer the best i could hope for was the opiates knock me out.....

just cause something works for one type of pain does not mean it will work for others.....another thing to keep in mind is that there is a physiological change in the brain somewhere between day 10 and 20 depending on the person when dealing with chronic pain....

No doubt on osteo being some of the worst pain a person can experience. People from all walks of life, with different tolerances and different long term experiences with all types of pain all say that osteo is the absolute worst.

On pain, do you know that the 0 to 10 scale is effectively useless at determining what the person is actually experiencing? For example, the scale goes from 0, no pain, to 10, the worst pain you can possibly imagine. When you say your pain is a 10, or more than 10, what you're saying is that it's worse than osteo, worse than being burned over better than 90% of your boddy and lingering for months, worse than being flayed, salted and vinegared, then repeated, worse than having your entrails pulled out and laid on a table next to you. I can imagine quite a bit that would make *my* pain pale in comparison. SO... a saavy doctor only uses the scale to judge you, not your pain. If you give a number higher than 10, you're effectively saying that you're either not very imaginative or that your pain is not as bad as you think it is. There's the psychological component of pain again. It's not that you don't hurt, it's not an attempt to diminish the extent of your hurt, it's just a simple statement that says that this person is less tolerant of pain than other people. For instance, I recently had an intercostal tear, pretty well tore up, in fact, and I'm still recuperating. When the PA asked me to number the pain, I gave it a three or four. Aggravating it during her exam maybe pinned it up a half a point, but not much. Anyway, she was taken aback by the three and actually spent extra time because I scored it so low. I explained that there are a lot of things more painful, like kidney stones, BTDT, tearing multiple ligaments in your shoulders, both sides, at the same time, BTDT too, and so on. She actually said she was so accustomed to hearing much higher numbers that she wondered for a second why I was even there. And, my answer was that I knew something was wrong that wasn't a simple strain. Anyway, the subjective pain scale is good only at measuring how prejudiced a person is to their own pain. The caliper method is a much better judge of actual pain. And, I'm with the "stingy" doctors on that one, the ones who won't hand out pills. Comparing a patient's determination to the "average" of others' experiences, not diminishing what they're feeling at all, but in their better long term interests, denying them pain killers while favoring other methods is, IMO, a more prudent course. In fact, I think most who manage their pain mostly with medication really would benefit from exploring other means. Even if it's just Tylenol.

When trying to get a patient to describe their pain i like using a functional sacle. Does it hurt but not enough to stop them from getting up and going to therapy. Are they still hungry or does the pain make them slighty nauseous. Can they enjoy their normal "quiet" activites such as visiting with their family or reading. Or is their pain so bad that they can't even watch TV because they can't concentrate on the program.

my wife hates the 1-10 pain scale.....cause if her ruptured cyst was a 10 it puts her worst migraine ever at 9.5 and then she has never had any other pain over a 4......including when she was 98 pounds and had a 10 pound kid naturally......taking that into consideration she has absolutely no clue when something is hurting bad enough it should concern her, cause she has had so many "9" migraines and other than the cyst blowing up and almost killing her, nothing else comes close......

Back