http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many people actually utilize marijuana for purely medicinal purposes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post

Montana has about 1 million ppl....35,000 have the medical marijuana card.......last polls i saw said over 50% of adults between the ages of 18 and 35 have used marijuana atleast once recreationally.....that should put Montanas population of 18-35 at a real rough figure of 250,000.....

so in theory a minimum of 125,000 have used marijuana recreationally in just one age group which leaves out the 1960's and early 70's young adult population and 35,000 ppl of all age groups are registered to use medicinally in my state......

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

to put this all in perspective....

In 2009, 16 million Americans age 12 and older had taken a prescription pain reliever, tranquilizer, stimulant, or sedative for nonmedical purposes at least once in the year prior to being surveyed. Source: National Survey on Drug Use and Health (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration Web Site).
    anyone here saying we should abolish opiate pain meds, muscle relaxers, ADHD and similar meds just because some abuse them? just because the potential for abuse is there and some choose to abuse them does not make them not a legitimate medicine.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Even if marijuana has 0 medicinal use, government has no right to tell me what I can put in my body as long as I'm not hurting anybody.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    Even if marijuana has 0 medicinal use, government has no right to tell me what I can put in my body as long as I'm not hurting anybody.
    there is that whole argument which i do happen to agree with.....was trying to stick to the medically relevant stuff though since its there.....
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also agree with you both, for the record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    that being the key.......i have not had a pain free day in 6 years...last couple weeks have been real bad due to weather systems moving through, ive slept a total of 8 hours in the last 5 nights.....only reason i can hold down a job is i am self employed and sign my own paychecks and have figured out how to make things work but i have no illusions if i was working for someone they would tolerate my issues.....

i dont have some issue that comes and goes, for all intents and purposes the back of my knee cap acts like a sanding block on the end of my femur.....at 29 my knees on x-ray look like im in my late 60's after living a hard life.....you know opiates suck for chronic pain but refuse to accept marijuana works....WTF? ive got scripts for enough pain pills to keep the most die hard pill popper on 2 week bender, ive got a script to keep me stoned out of my mind.....aint what im interested in....looking for relief from pain that still allows me to carry on a normal conversation....
    Right, and again I go back to the psychological aspects. Neither have I had a pain-free day in almost 30 years. Yes, oh, yes, I know, I've heard it time and again, your pain is SO much worse than mine. Think that if you will, I make no qualifiers as to more or less pain comparing individual to individual because it's a worthless exercise. List to what I am saying... if you find a pain management course, especially one that incorporates physical and cognitive/behavioral therapy, AND you're willing to stick with it, you WILL find that you've less a need for medication for management. That is, unless of course, you WANT to medicate yourself. It's within you and you have to ask yourself, "Have you tried? Have REALLY tried?"

I'm not exactly sure that anyone completely straight and highly intelligent would consider a conversation with someone half-baked "normal". I know I wouldn't. Be that as it may, and keeping in mind I've detailed my injuries to you and that fact that I need replacement surgery that I've opted out of and the fact that I do not use pain killers. Take that as you will, but certainly don't try to validate your pro-marijuana argument by asserting that it's something of a "necessity". And, at the very least, admit that those you opt to use it do so because they ENJOY using it. Anything less is dishonest and hurts credibility.

I'm not saying anything should or should not be legal. I am merely stating that you can not justify breaking the law when you have other options. My opinion on the matter of use is that it's a personal choice, to an extent. As with anything, the potential for abuse exists. While the extent here may not be akin to a crackhead mugging someone, I *do* believe some "recreational" drugs should still be and remain illegal. I tend to have the same opinion of legal prescriptions that are abused, yet handed out like candy. I won't say, "aw, too bad, sucks for you" of course, but I do believe that the vast majority of people on drugs like Valium, Vicodan, Percowhatever, Oxycontin, etc., etc., use them as recreational drugs and enjoy them and are simply uninterested in cleaning their bodies out and finding other means. Is that their prerogative? Certainly. But, I don't have to agree with it and I don't have to like it, especially when their "pain management method" leaves them dependant on social programs that I, and others, have to pay for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    been that route...do the physical therapy and the like......actually on fewer pain pills now than 2 years ago cause i hate the side effects of opiate pain meds and the side effects interfere with work unless i keep them under a certain line cause i run printing presses and being stoned running the equipment eventually means loosing a hand or worse...distractions cause your skins crawling cause your going through physical withdrawls at 2 in the afternoon are as bad as being stoned...

my point with the pot is there are plenty of ppl with legit problems where anyone will be perfectly fine with them being prescribed opiates.....but bring up these individuals using marijuana and all the sudden they are just interested in being stoned....WTF either they have a legit medical issue or they dont....either way they are stoned and for many its far easier to be closer to normal....i know a couple guys locally that after being allowed to smoke they went from being stoned out of their gourds on opiates, living on welfare to holding down full time jobs again cause opiate are piss poor at handling back pain caused by something pinching a nerve root and pot works....does that mean they are 100% functioning like they would with no injury? absolutly not but it made enough difference they could take over their lives again instead of being ruled by an injury....

i dont do the whole "im worse off than you" crap either.....on a scale of 1 to 10 my wife has experienced far higher levels of pain than i have between her migraines and a burst ovarian cyst that damn near killed her.....on a scale of 1-10, she rates that cyst at about a 15.....my knees have never been worse than about an 8....the problem is unlike my wifes migraines and ruptured cyst my knees will be at between a 4 and 8 for months on end with no break.....

my whole point is there is no such thing as magic bullets in medicine for complex issues like cancer or even pain management.....what works for one person wont necessarily work for another....ive got a buddy thats far worse off than i am due to a vehicle wreck 10 years ago.....if i asked him today how his back felt he would tell me "No clue, havent checked in with it today".....he told me how he does his stuff and i tried it....after 5 months i was told by two different docs not to do that anymore cause it was causing negative physiological changes to my body.....

what works for one person will not nessisarily work for everyone....
    cervid serial killer

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast