What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cure for cancer.

• Thread starter Monkey
  • Start date
I wouldn't be surprised major pharmaceuticals would ignore it... there's gold in them thar tumors!

Why cure a disease when treating it makes so much more $$$

There seem to be a few inaccuracies in the article - like for example - calling mitochondria 'cells' when in fact, they're actually organelles within a cell. Hopefully they are only errors introduced by the reporter.

Can anyone buy this drug and take it if its a pill? Not too experienced in this region...
Hehe, my own little fantasy world includes pills for all cures. :)

Yeah, I tried going to the site they link to see the research, but the site doesn't show much other than a FAQ.

You don't want to take the DCA unsupervised as high doses causes liver cancer in rats instead of possibly fighting it. It would be nice to see some independent research on it used in a therapeutic setting. That would probably have to be done outside the USA, just like the Australian discovery that mouthwashes containing alcohol appear to be a contributing factor in oral cancers (especially when used by smokers). The FDA said the Australian research was BS but surprise surprise all the mouthwash companies have suddenly started going "alcohol free"...

LOL! I just saw this story today elsewhere. I doubt that pharmaceuticals are against it more than they're just disinterested. It's an old drug so they already understand it pretty well. The places that will really be interested in it will be ones that research cancer treatments and bodily disease. I'm not one to be confident in the medical industry, but I think this article is a bit aggrandizing. It takes time for this stuff to get through the approval process.
Which isn't to say that there aren't a bunch of industries that depend on the prolonged illness of cancer patients.
~Joe

While I'm not familiar with the drug and am not interested in spending time researching, I would like to point out a few glaring errors in the article which lead me to believe that many of it's statements are tenuous at best.

1) The author doesn't even seem to have the notion that 'cancer' comprises hundreds of different diseases and no one drug would ever be assumed to treat more than a small portion of these.

2) Mitochondria cells has no actual meaning, as stated previously. Most of what is described to them is wrong in the article as well.

3) "Pharmaceutical companies are not investing in this research because DCA method cannot be patented, without a patent they can’t make money"
WRONG!
This is actually a boon. If this drug did what the author claims, many, MANY drug companies would all be rushing to produce this and get it to market as quick as possible. As swords pointed out, cancer treatments are expensive. If a company produced this, the customer base willing to pay for a CURE would be enormous. There is NO reason to think that people wouldn't by a cure for cancer.

Along with the obvious already mentioned by others here, I'd like to add:

Do you REALLY think that major pharm. companies, with the opportunity to buy/seize, modify, and patent a cancer cure all, would ALL miss that same business opportunity? If so, I'd really like to know what Clockwork Orange film festival is playing to your forced-open eyelids that's got you that embedded in groundless "conspiracy theories". ;)

as others have pointed out, enough inaccuracies in the article to make one doubtful........also hasnt seen any major human testing which is another red flag.....you can actually kill cancer cells in a test tube near 100% with lil toxicity with a couple extracts from marijuana but once you move to whole organisms the success rate drops off......what this means is various chemicals in marijuana like the above drug are likely helpful in fighting various cancers but they are far from the magic bullet the above article tries to make the drug out to be.....

as others have said though what cancer is, is actually pretty simple to define, basically a form of uncontrolled cell growth, but it covers so many variations the chance of there being a magic bullet drug is near impossible......ppl cure cancer in test tubes and in rats all the time, hell they cure it in humans all the time but there has been no magic bullet found that is even 100% effective on a single type of cancer let alone all types of cancer......

We already have a cure for cancer, it's called Cannabis.

Unfortunately, it doesn't CURE anything, just alleviates some symptoms in some patients. Oh, and it's illegal in most states and areas within those states in the United States. Oh, and has other health issues that proponents of legalization will tell you do not exist, or the most conservative of proponents will play down. I'm not necessarily anti-legalization, but I am pro having ALL of the facts. Those would include psychological and physical addiction factors, DUI statistics, health factors, both physical and mental, etc., and not those quoted or sponsored by 'High Times'. :)

Unfortunately, it doesn't CURE anything, just alleviates some symptoms in some patients. Oh, and it's illegal in most states and areas within those states in the United States. Oh, and has other health issues that proponents of legalization will tell you do not exist, or the most conservative of proponents will play down. I'm not necessarily anti-legalization, but I am pro having ALL of the facts. Those would include psychological and physical addiction factors, DUI statistics, health factors, both physical and mental, etc., and not those quoted or sponsored by 'High Times'. :)

actually latest legit medical studies show some extracts have shown huge cancer killing properties with fewer side effects....im not talking smoking the stuff im talking a concentrated purified form of a few of the active chemicals.....no doubt there is benefits with ingesting it for the chronic pain and nausea often associated with cancer and its treatment.....but keep in mind there are over 60 active chemicals in marijuana, the opium poppy contains only 4......

IIRC the study showed a near 100% eradication of lymphoma cells in a test tube, and over a 50% success rate of curing lymphoma in rats....

I agree it is often toted as being 100% benevolent, and that is not totally true. However,

Physical addiction is almost completely non-existent.

And as far as DUI statistics go, I'd love to see some. I bet they are not nearly as high as you might expect.

Whenever someone mentions curing a disease, cannibis always enters the conversation at some point.....it's like how a mention Hitler will always enter a conversation if it goes on long enough......

Whenever someone mentions curing a disease, cannibis always enters the conversation at some point.....it's like how a mention Hitler will always enter a conversation if it goes on long enough......

if yah get passed teh BS there are plenty of solid scientific studies to prove it.....plus since we know there are over 60 active chemicals in it it makes it highly likely its useful for something.....one of the most common heart meds is based of the synthisized version of one chemical in the english foxglove plant.....infact the drug gets its name from the genus name of this plant....

if yah have a sensitive enough test, every person on earth would pop positive for pot......we are hard wired for it to work with us.....our body produces atleast 2 chemicals that are basically identical to the main family of drugs in the pot.....guess what science has shown these "man made" chemicals seem to do? work directly with the immune system.........

the hard science is there if you actually care to look and not just dismiss it.......

if yah get passed teh BS there are plenty of solid scientific studies to prove it.....plus since we know there are over 60 active chemicals in it it makes it highly likely its useful for something.....one of the most common heart meds is based of the synthisized version of one chemical in the english foxglove plant.....infact the drug gets its name from the genus name of this plant....

if yah have a sensitive enough test, every person on earth would pop positive for pot......we are hard wired for it to work with us.....our body produces atleast 2 chemicals that are basically identical to the main family of drugs in the pot.....guess what science has shown these "man made" chemicals seem to do? work directly with the immune system.........

the hard science is there if you actually care to look and not just dismiss it.......

Oh no, I don't doubt that..it's just that some people seem to like to think it's the answer to all of life's problems, and use it's benifits as an excuse to get wasted 24/7.

Fron what I've read, cannabis only slows down lung cancer at best.

Cancer doesn't really have much of a cure. Really you need gene therapy, and we are getting better at it.

actually yah look at most real patients......they are looking for relief without getting stoned....except for very few things the euphoria is a hinderance more than a help.....look at alot of the talk on the medical use blogs and there is lil talk about THC and what talk there is is of varieties with lower THC coupled with high CBD levels....

gotta figure a whole lot of true medicinal users are coming off long term opiate use......they have had scripts to be stoned out of their gourd for a long time already.....aint what they are after.....

marijuana is not a magic bullet for all ills but the science is there that it is atleast helpful for a hell of alot of things......and helpful with a lower number or intensity of side effects than alot of pills.....i fully qualify for a medicinal card in my home state.....have passed on it for legal reasons revolving around the fact i have two teenagers in the house with their friends constantly coming through and the fact part of my job involves pissing off various ppl via the editorial page of one of my papers and its a bad plan for me as far as legal complications that could very well arise....

that said ive been taking opiate pain killers daily for over 6 years.....opiates aint meant for daily use......they work great for acute pain, to get yah through a busted bone or get yah through post op pain.....for chronic pain the side effects with daily use for months on end really, really, really suck.....the effective duration is to short, the tolerance builds up to quick, and the physical addiction issues are not pleasant......

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Fron what I've read, cannabis only slows down lung cancer at best.

your skipping over a whole lot of studies......in the sence being discussed here we arent just talking smoking the raw flowers.....also discussing purified forms of the various active chemicals in the usual medical setting.....

Back