What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Short term memory loss

No kidding, diagnosed last year and it has kicked it up. i am driving my husband and kids crazy because I ask the same things over and over again, of course not realizing that I am doing it.

Anyway to the main reason for the post -Fernando mi amigo - I thought I sent your box off long ago, but I found one addressed to you. My memory is getting so bad that I make the boxes up with a list of plants as soon as I have an address. Did I send you your box???? I am panic stricken. :blush::crazy::hail:

All of the boxes I had made went to the post office today. If you do not get one in the mail with in a week please let me know. No cheating!

This is getting pathetic. This memory thing is the only thing that really gets to me. I have started to change my ways. I write things down all the time and try to put them where I will remember to check. I know some of you must have this problem. What do you do to help?

Just not a good week either. Nebraska is trying to do what Wisconsin did to its teachers (although we are next to the lowest paid teachers already). All the non- required (federally required) paras will lose their jobs net year. We are a small district and the state took 2 million away from our school budget (that is just our small district). The state has also purposed that the teachers (not admin, just teachers) take a 15% pay cut across the board. So I lose my job and my husband takes a huge pay cut. Also I am half a year from getting my teaching degree, but there is a hold on hiring teachers. So much for education being important. Oh, here is a really stupid thing, the school board will get to tell the teachers how to teach their classes. We have two kids in college that we are paying on and one getting ready to go in a year. We already sold our big house and moved down. What do we do next? We must get our kids through college. We are sharing the payments. They are working, but need to have time to study and do all of their work.

Oh, I mailed the plant in bottles. Believe what the bottle says (so to speak). The plants are in there between layers of moss. Be careful with the indica. The roots are thin and fragile.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your troubles. :( Have you tried doing cognitive exercises? I imagine with your job on the rocks you don't have a lot of money to throw around, but I can't say enough good stuff about Brain Age for the Nintendo DS. There's lots of alternatives though. Whatever you do, try to get some variety. Also, physical fitness has a huge bearing on mental function, so make sure you don't neglect your body.
Best wishes.
~Joe

Brain age. I bet I can get it off ebay for near to nothing. Well I think I will finish getting my degree and then be a sub for all the districts in the area. Will not be as much as being a teacher, but more than I make now.

Copper, I have some different supplements that are supposed to help with memory and cognition. I never use them, but I can send them to you if you'd like. Otherwise they are just going to be sitting in my cabinet collecting dust.

Ah, I'm sorry all this is happening to you. :(

Everything happens for a reason. I am very glad for the life, family and friends that God gave me. I am just looking for advise from those with knowledge. I do admit that it is frustrating. I lose hours out of my life constantly now. The doctors say it is the fibro and I hope that it is. One of the procedures being done is to see how my brain is functioning. Still a 3.5 student in college so higher thought process is fine, it is more nerves to body working...One very weird thing I do now is slap my legs together as I sleep. Yup, I lift one leg high up (lying on my side) then rapidly and repeatedly slam it into the leg on the mattress. It is the loud impact that wakes me, not the pain...very odd. Doc thinks it's seizures and we shall find out.

When I was a child I was one of six people in America that had two disorders at the same time. Both are somewhat popular, but not together. I have a disorder in which I have an allergic reaction to water. It is not so bad here in Nebraska, but I can not swim in ponds and such. I react to the pollutants in the water. I have gone into shock twice with it. Yes, rain can trigger it and sometimes tap water. I also react to being scratched or getting abrasions. The wound swells, itches and get hives around it. See, I have always been weird. I have a disorder to sunlight, creepy! I can not take temps much over body temp...makes me physically ill. But these are little things. I have been a competitive martial artist with trophies up the wazoo, a cop, a body builder and trainer, a paramedic and many other things, soon to be a teacher..of some sort. Life is good, a little frustrating, but good. My husband let me start in the plants again to get me up and moving again. I love plants and nature so it has done me quite well. I enjoy you all and am glad that I came back to the group,

My girlfriend has the same problem, but from a brain tumor. Mental exercises and puzzles help a lot. I'll see if she can give me a list of exercises she did after the surgery. I know art therapy helped.

im so sorry this has happened:( im sure the stress is not helping the situation with the memory loss

So sorry to hear of your illness'. I have my share of ailments as well, it comes with age I suppose. Definitely get a brain age, it has helped my wife a lot for the same reasons as you.
Have you ever thought of trying Cannabis for the Fibro? It has shown to help improve many of the "hidden" symptoms of this debilitating disease. Many States now have legal Medical Marijuana Laws, does your's?
Hoping you feel better.

Sorry for that copper. God has a plan for everything. Pray that it will go away. I will also be praying as always.

Ean.

I will not use cannabis (smoking), I have many reasons for it. First off I am a drug expert and know exactly what cannabis does. Second I also have a medical back ground and know how it helps. Third, I came out of the childhood from hell. I was raised by two drunk, drug users and step dad was a dealer. It is hard to describe the life, but I will in a book someday, but needless to say I hate drugs. I am even refusing the pain pills at this point. Medically the harm still out weighs the good, but I will consider cannabis pills soon. We are talking it over. I would get the benefits with out the high. I now that the high actually helps by relaxing you, but I am a control freak. I think it is due to the life I came out of. That is one reason I am soooo happy my liver is healing. Most of my family members where heavy drug users and/or alcoholic. My sister isn't, but she is pre-diabetic. A good liver would be hard to find, lol.

I also have COPD and RSV so smoking anything is out (born with both). My whole family has medical problems. My mother had her first child at 16 and then 6 more in seven years. She did not talk care of herself or eat right. They did not know then. I was the heaviest of the seven children at 5 pounds, my elder brother was the lightest at 1.3 pounds. He had it rough, but made it through. taking care of yourself during pregnancy is so important.

Hey there just keep plugging away at it. From what we've already discussed a bit in PM's (remember ?, sorry that was too easy) your best bet in my opinion is support from your husband. Keep him in line ! Stress and lack of sleep will agrivate the heck out of the fibro. I have finally gotten better about arguing with my wife about whether she has told me something or not. She won't remember she did and I don't need to agrivate the fibro. Just tell us again and we can move on. A few things help her with the pain but nothing to play around with. Heck I even put the pills in the pill box so she doesn't think she forgot to take them and doubles up. Makes for an early bedtime ! Take Care

sucks Copper......went through this a bit some years ago but luckily mine was short term.....when looking for ways to help me deal with my chronic pain we tried various sleeping pills.....seems with me i get most those "rare side effects" they tell yah about when they advertise them.....for about 6 weeks while on one it was impossible for alot of my short term memory to convert to long term memory.....

funny thing bout the brain is it has some great coping mechanisms.....it seems to know missing memory is bad so it just substituted what it thought should be there and i never noticed the problem given it was combined with just enough stuff getting pushed through that i actually do remember.....took my wife and 3 employees telling me something wasnt right with me before they convinced me to go to the doc....

end result was it was recommended i no longer use sleeping pills of most any form other than melatonin....

Hey Copper, let me add my support to what you've already received. Fortunately I've been spared, so far, the worst of fibro-fog. When I do have a bout though I tend to panic because alzheimers runs so strongly in my mother's family. I don't have a DS but I do have an older palm pilot. I was able to find free programs on line for it similar to the DS brain programs. If you ever want, feel free to pm or email me just to vent.

Back