Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping costs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm so bad with reusing boxes and it's really hard for me to rip off the old shipping labels that you guys probably get old labels from Tony and stuff from me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the flat priority boxes, they are $5.20, but flat rate is u to 4 pounds (not true). The four pounds includes the box and everything in it. Some how a flat rate box with two small plants, no soil, ended up being over six dollars.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    LOL. I have to say I have received your boxes before Butch second hand, and I re-used them too!

This gives me an idea. I think I'll start writing DASHMAN was HERE! on the insides of boxes I ship out to see if I ever get one back.
    LOL.... reminds me of that garden gnome that traveled the world

Ive gotten a few cool CP buisness cards over the years with plants, Jeremiah's has growing instructions printed on the back of his...

Most Cp'ers are extremely loyal and giving people... do right by them and they repay you many times over...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    I think I'm so bad with reusing boxes and it's really hard for me to rip off the old shipping labels that you guys probably get old labels from Tony and stuff from me
    Hey, I reuse ALL my boxes...Tony's included...aint' no shame in it...I think of it as..."recycling".
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are marginal discounts available if one buys postage online from the USPS; but not everyone has constant computer access and the post office still provides the most "convenient" service. Also, packing materials -- chips, boxes, etc. -- in the dubious Age of eBay, have skyrocketed; and that expense has to be passed on or simply absorbed by the seller/shipper.

Also, as others have mentioned, there is the time issue in packing and shipping delicate items . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ebay - PayPal is able to give a discount since they are dealing in volume and can get a deal with the Post Office. Businesses can get discount and bulk rates. Costco and some supermarkets sell books/rolls of stamps at a discount because they can buy in bulk.

PayPal-Ebay more than makes up for it with the surcharges and fees they put on business transactions. You can avoid these charges with personal transactions for now but I don't expect that to last. At best PayPal will probably put some limits on personal transactions like number per month.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    I reuse peanuts and priority shipping boxes when possible (I'm sure you've all noticed ) and go to the post office to ship my stuff off. I don't understand the online buy-shipping-labels stuff, nor do I want to spend $100+ on a scale to weigh stuff to get the correct postage at home because that is more of a waste than the driving over and standing in line at the Post Office. Also, if I know my P.O. people, I'm more likely to get all my packages in one piece on time because they know me personally.

When I ask people to cover shipping, it's because I'm broke... because usually I just cover it myself. It's nice when they send it personal on paypal because I can't figure out how much a priority box will cost beforehand, so printing off a label that would cost me the $2 in 'goods/services' is actually just like... stealing my money for the Post Office for me not getting anything out of it. So - when I ask for a reimburse I send *exactly* just how much shipping cost at the post office disregarding the cost of: boxes, gas, wasting time in line, peanuts, packing bags, back pain, lfs and all. Because I'm just a hobbyist and not a professional nursery, and I don't know the fancy ins and outs of a company that ships stuff.
    Exactimundo!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are my random thoughts...

I have asked/charged anywhere from nothing to about $20 for shipping. We send out alot of boxes during the warmer months. On an average shipping week we spend about 4 hours a week packing/shipping plants out. Add that up with 20+ shipping weeks and yea...Now lets look at the cost of shipping. Alot of people don't see these costs due to there lower volume but let me tell you tape, paper, toner, markers, plastic bags, did I mention tape...so much tape.

For the vast unnamed E-bay crowd I have no problem charging whatever I feel like at the given time. My time is valuable to me and I should be compensated for it. What you paid for the item is for the item, not shipping. I generally charge $7.5 +$1-$2.5 per additional item. That may seem high if you've never packed up 10-30 boxes a week for months on end, but let me tell you, I would be better off delivering pizza's with that time than shipping out those boxes. I won't even think about selling something without a base of $7.50 for shipping. The cost is not only to cover postage but my time and materials used in that shipping.

Now if I'm doing a giveaway or something because I just want to give back I'll greatly reduce the costs and usually just want a Paypal payment to get the addressing done quicker and more accurately, its usually not about covering costs with these.

I tend to get annoyed when people complain about shipping being too high, the plants don't pack themselves and its not very nice for someone to tell me todo them a favor and pack there items for free. Remember, you get what you pay for, I have received more than a few plants just taped inside a box with no other packing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast