Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping costs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shipping costs

Ok I just been looking around at some different posts talking about shipping. See some people asking for $6 some asking for $6.20.

Here is the deal. A small flat rate box ships anywhere for $5 bucks. Yes $5.20 if you pay at the post office, BUT when you buy your shipping label on paypal it comes with free delivery confirmation and only costs $5 bucks. Then you tape the label to the box and it is ready to go! Can even ask for a currier to pick up your packages for free. I do not understand why people are asking for $6 and more shipping when 5.50 covers the paypal fees leaves you with 5.05 and then pays for shipping when a shipping label is purchased through paypal.

I screwed around and used very old priority boxes I had left over. ended up paying 6 bucks shipping to some folks in the ventrata deal but that was my fault. The post office is pushing the flat rate it seams and it is now cheaper. I was never trying to make a buck even minuscule on it. Shipping is shipping and flat rates to my understanding are the same nation wide. Are they not?? It is not difficult to figure out what you need to ask for to cover paypals fees if you are truly just asking for shipping. It is 2.9% plus 0.30 cents.

Also being kind a gesture it may be. When sending money to someone for shipping do not send it as personal so they don't pay the fees. Then they cannot print a shipping label and take advantage of the discount and getting the box labeled very simply.

Ok that is my rant for the day...
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe some ppl charge for packing materials aswell ?
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    Ok I just been looking around at some different posts talking about shipping. See some people asking for $6 some asking for $6.20.

Here is the deal. A small flat rate box ships anywhere for $5 bucks. Yes $5.20 if you pay at the post office, BUT when you buy your shipping label on paypal it comes with free delivery confirmation and only costs $5 bucks. Then you tape the label to the box and it is ready to go! Can even ask for a currier to pick up your packages for free. I do not understand why people are asking for $6 and more shipping when 5.50 covers the paypal fees leaves you with 5.05 and then pays for shipping when a shipping label is purchased through paypal.

I screwed around and used very old priority boxes I had left over. ended up paying 6 bucks shipping to some folks in the ventrata deal but that was my fault. The post office is pushing the flat rate it seams and it is now cheaper. I was never trying to make a buck even minuscule on it. Shipping is shipping and flat rates to my understanding are the same nation wide. Are they not?? It is not difficult to figure out what you need to ask for to cover paypals fees if you are truly just asking for shipping. It is 2.9% plus 0.30 cents.

Also being kind a gesture it may be. When sending money to someone for shipping do not send it as personal so they don't pay the fees. Then they cannot print a shipping label and take advantage of the discount and getting the box labeled very simply.

Ok that is my rant for the day...
    Josh,

If by any chance I'm one of those who you ended up paying 6 for shipping please let me know I'll send extra via paypal your way. I really appreciate you organizing that giveaway. I'm a noob and just starting my collection.

Thank you!

P.S.: So when sending money through paypal it is best to select Purchase>>Goods ?
    Last edited by gill_za; 05-25-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not everything will fit in the flat-rate boxes. The saying on the USPS commercials is "If it fits it ships". Try fitting a 4 inch diameter rhizome with 18 inch pitchers into a small 5.5 x 9 x 2.5 inch flat rate box. Non-flat rate Priority mail rates are based on weight, distance (zone to zone) and dimensions of the box.

Having just sent out a bunch of parcels for the NASC auction I probably spent on the average an hour on each parcel. I had to uproot the plant(s), divide, clean the roots and perhaps trim off dead material, then wrap the roots and bag or put the plants in containers then assemble the boxes, pad the plants, seal and label the boxes. Then drive to the post office, wait in line and purchase postage.

For the auction I listed shipping at ~$6.00. This was with the contingency in mind that I would have to use a non flat rate box due to size of the item. And a ballpark figure allowed the bidder to budget. I only asked for the actual shipping amount. If some reason shipping went over $6.00 I would have just eaten the difference. It is for a good cause after all.

Not everybody uses PayPal-eBay and I don't begrudge anybody charging a dollar or two over the basic postage charge. It takes time to pack the items and supplies like tape, bubble pack, peanuts, labels, printer cartridges, gasoline and electricity are not free. And not everybody wants to open a Click'nShip account with the Post Office.

If you use the Post Office's Shipping Assistance program you can print labels and get free delivery confirmation tracking. If you print the label and buy postage with the automated kiosk at the post office you get free delivery confirmation tracking also.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 05-25-2011 at 10:01 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with NaN. I normally don't mind paying a few bucks more for shipping as it takes a great deal of time, energy, and extra costs besides the stamp on the box. I also don't mind spending a few bucks more than I charge to ship. I'll spend as much as I think necessary to get a plant there safely.

I charged 6 bucks for all of my NASC items. I actually spent way more than this because I had to buy baggies (sandwich, gallon, and 2.5 gallon), dried LFS for packaging, water to wet the LFS, shipping tape, etc. Oh, then the fact that I decided to send most of my donations in medium flat rate boxes in order to not have to snip away new growth as much as possible.

I especially don't mind if it is a giveaway. Then there is always the chance of extras! I guess it is all relative too. 6 bucks for a packet of capensis seed I would probably back out of the transaction.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reuse peanuts and priority shipping boxes when possible (I'm sure you've all noticed ) and go to the post office to ship my stuff off. I don't understand the online buy-shipping-labels stuff, nor do I want to spend $100+ on a scale to weigh stuff to get the correct postage at home because that is more of a waste than the driving over and standing in line at the Post Office. Also, if I know my P.O. people, I'm more likely to get all my packages in one piece on time because they know me personally.

When I ask people to cover shipping, it's because I'm broke... because usually I just cover it myself. It's nice when they send it personal on paypal because I can't figure out how much a priority box will cost beforehand, so printing off a label that would cost me the $2 in 'goods/services' is actually just like... stealing my money for the Post Office for me not getting anything out of it. So - when I ask for a reimburse I send *exactly* just how much shipping cost at the post office disregarding the cost of: boxes, gas, wasting time in line, peanuts, packing bags, back pain, lfs and all. Because I'm just a hobbyist and not a professional nursery, and I don't know the fancy ins and outs of a company that ships stuff.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a custom rubber stamp made (freakin expensive LOL).... but its nice to have in big red letters

"Perishable Live Plants, keep from heat or cold"

and I prefer the warm and fuzzy feeling of sig confirmation (unless I ship to Zu hehehehe)

and if you count gas, time, materials... etc....

I have seem those boxes make their rounds through the membership, people love the big red stamp!

worst case I had, one member begged for a plant (ceph), then after I agree he tells me he cant afford shipping and could I donate that to him as well...

Sheesh... he was a kid so I did it, but i also put him on ignore when he started hitting me up for a heli
    (and after he killed the ceph and thought I should replace it)
    shakes head....

hehehe my vent done
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 05-25-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL. I have to say I have received your boxes before Butch second hand, and I re-used them too!

This gives me an idea. I think I'll start writing DASHMAN was HERE! on the insides of boxes I ship out to see if I ever get one back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast