Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you get all your water?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. You guys are so lucky, Southern California is the worst for CP growers
    But do you guys have a website that sells a good RO system that I can purchase? It would help a lot

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use about 4-5 gallon of <001ppm per day for plants and personal use @ about 0.05$ per gallon (max)
    However, a comparable RO/DI/PP unit today is about +200$ and they can be a pain to get set up right.

Ive had mine about 5-6 yrs I guess, on 2nd membrane, 2nd batch of DI beads and I change prefilters every six months.... It easily paid for itself long ago

I've never looked back at hauling water (which required a 10 mile drive), and around here rain isnt really an option except for springtime
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 05-29-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKraken View Post
    I see. You guys are so lucky, Southern California is the worst for CP growers
    But do you guys have a website that sells a good RO system that I can purchase? It would help a lot
    We have the better climate for H/L neps and basically everything can be grown outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I too collect rain water. Tapped into a downspout and picked up 55 gal food-grade barrels off craigslist for $10/each. Installed spigots to the barrels to access the water once filled. Currently have 300 gallons sitting in my garage to use this summer when it finally stops raining around here.
    I've often thought about doing that, but I'm not certain, because of my metal gutters... I thought about testing the resulting quality with a TDS meter, but was then worried about the presence of ions that aren't detected by the meter... I might try this if it works for you... Do you test the water quality before use, or have you just found that your plants are doing fine with the water?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyq View Post
    I've often thought about doing that, but I'm not certain, because of my metal gutters... I thought about testing the resulting quality with a TDS meter, but was then worried about the presence of ions that aren't detected by the meter... I might try this if it works for you... Do you test the water quality before use, or have you just found that your plants are doing fine with the water?
    It rains alot here in NY! I too collect rainwater out of my aluminum gutters. I channel it right into some round garbage bins. Went to the homebrew store and bought a screw in spigot. I save my empty gallon jugs from distilled water purchases and fill them up. Nothing in the room seems to mind it all! Saves me more money for neps.

Previously known as: NY Plant Nerd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RO unit.

I use about 20 gallons a week so it's the most practical way for me. Wish my tap was under 50ppm.. watering straight from the hose would be so much easier than refilling jugs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Video is from last Summer..July 2010)

Scot

Come To The Light. . . JB in Utah's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up until last year, I used distilled and I usually kept about 4 gallons on hand. Then I found out that a store near me sold distilled water in 2.5 gallon jugs. I bought 2 at first and then went up to 4. I discovered that I can go about a week on 2.5 gallons. 10 gallons per month.
    I switched to rain water in August using the four 2.5 gallon jugs from before and haven't paid a dime for water since. I'll likely have to buy distilled in June and July, because of greater evaporation but that's not too bad for a years worth of watering. My plants are all in two huge communal trays that get new water each week after they (the trays, not the pots) dry out.

I'm harvesting rain water right now as a matter of fact.
    I should say something witty or remarkable but that would only prove my worth to society. To that I say meh!

The List That Grows. . . Utah Members Here!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast