Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plant pest problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plant pest problems

My sarracenia are suffering and I can't exactly figure out what is wrong. In some of them, when I unpot them, there are tiny black bugs in the soil that look like sugar ants. I thought that is what they were but as more and more sarracenia keep dying and I keep finding these bugs in the pots, I'm convinced they are what are killing my plants. I have thousands of sars, there's no way I can go through and repot every one of them, and even if I did, there's nothing to keep them from making nests in my plants again. So what I need is something safe for sarracenia that I can spray on them and totally saturate the soil with and everything that will kill these pests. What do you recommend and where can I get it in enough quantity to add to a sprayer and do all of my plants?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imidocloprid containing pesticides?
    Also try AzoMax for saturating the soil wit it. Small bottle can make a LOT of solution

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this will wor, but Neem oil is the environmentally friendly approach.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not trying to promote it but here is some additional info.

AzaMax is one of the neem oil based pestecides. Neem oil based pesticides are usually neem oil extracts that are water soluble. AzaMax contains AZADIRACHTIN which does not dissolve in water and is not present much in neem oil extracts and yet it is considered one of the most potent components in Neem Oil from what I understand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thank you, I will look for some. You have used it on your plants and it didn't kill them? I have always hesitated to use anything on mine but I've never really needed to. I have a spray that I use occasionally - in the spring I usually have a few pitchers with aphids and the spray I use takes care of those - but this seems to be something much more invasive and drastic measures are required.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used imidacloprid/pyrethrin/AzaMax/neem oil extract on my VFT's, Sarracenias, and sundews to kill nematodes. Imidacloprid took care of the gnats and soil mites and the plants survived. None of the remedies seemed to affect the plants on any level, killed everything but the nematodes .

Dont spray the sundews with neem oil though if you have them, it seems to burn the leaves.
    That is my personal experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dang, this stuff is expensive. Looks like it will cost several hundred dollars to be able to do all my plants

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

I found this for pretty cheap, what do you think?
    Description: Dominion Tree & Shrub is a 1.47% Imidacloprid product for outdoor residential use only. Protection can not be washed off by rain or water. Dominion Tree & Shrub protects against nuisance pests for up to 12 months. It's easy to use, just mix and pour and apply at the tree base. Also good for lawns, flowers, ornamentals. Systemic insect for the entire plant.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

Bonide 242
    Bonide 242 is a borer-miner killer. Mixes instantly in water. Special formula for difficult to control insects such as birch leaf miner, flat and round headed borers, peach tree borers, bark and wood boring beetles, white pine weevils, taxus and strawberry root weevils.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

This formulation of naturally occurring pesticides is perfect for organic gardeners. Controls many insects on fruit, vegetables , ornamental flowers and trees. May also be used as a flea, tick and lice spray for dogs. Labeled for the control of fire ants using the mound treatment method. Controls colorado potato beetle, japanese beetles, squash bugs, box elder bugs, sawfly larva and many more.

Ingredients:Rotenone 1.10% W/W Other Cube Extractives 2.20% Pyrethrin .80%.

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

Natural Pyrethrin Concentrate! This is an organic insecticide made from a relative of the chrysanthemum! It controls insects on vegetables and ornamentals. It is recommended for use Indoors and on Livestock!

CONTAINS: 0.96% Pyrethrins and 9.6% Piperonyl Butoxide. This is a very concentrated form and should be diluted with water.

So, since I've never had to do all my plants before, I'm wary of using anything, and it would be an absolute catastrophe to lose thousands of sarracenia because of this. I need to be sure I get something safe but effective! I won't use it on sundews, but what about nepenthes? Safe for them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try submerging them in water completly for a day or two

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast