What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding Terrestrial Utricularia

gill_za

Never Knows Best
Dear All,

I have been looking trough this forum (and others) for a way to feed a terrestrial Utricularia and could find little to no information. Could someone familiar with the topic post your thoughts and/or experience on the matter?

Thank you!

Below is my recently acquired U. sandersonii plug potted, I want it to grow big healthy and well fed :)

There should be tiny microorganisms already in the substrate, they're just too small for us to see.

I remember reading that one of the experience European Utricularia grower uses a dilute aquatic plant food on some of his.

There should be tiny microorganisms already in the substrate, they're just too small for us to see.

I used peroxide on the soil as part of the washing procedure... if something survived it will eat utric not the other way around :)

I've got a small bog about 100' away, so I water the plants with that water.

Hmm how big are the traps on terrestrial utrics usually?

Hmm how big are the traps on terrestrial utrics usually?

It depends on the species, some only have bladders (leaves) that are only 1mm, while some of the larger-leaved (leaves as in bladders) Utricularia may have traps that are as large as a centimeter, like those of the section Orchioides.

Ok so pond or bog water seems to be two used methods. What about something like beneficial nematodes or some crawling/burrowing insect?

Last edited:
I'm wondering if I can get something in the local pet store for these purposes.

be carefull with pond water most ponds hold to many nutrients

Just put them outside for a couple days and they'll get plenty to eat from springtails and fungus gnat larvae. Repeat often.

Just put them outside for a couple days and they'll get plenty to eat from springtails and fungus gnat larvae. Repeat often.

But this way I'll get the gnats into home and next thing I know they will infest the rest of the plants. I just painfully got rid of them... This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'd like to be a bit more in control when it come to feeding these guys.

P.S. Springtails dont burrow too deep into soil, am I wrong?

You could try a weak (half strength?) foliar feed spray with aquarium fertilizer. The traditional peat/sand mix doesn't offer much in the way of nutrients and there is unlikely to be many bugs in there that the Utricularia traps can catch. Even if there is then there is still likely a lack of some trace elements.

There's no way in the world you can keep springtails out of your pots other than making the environment so toxic it won't support life. Springtails make up a significant portion of the biomass of the planet. They generally considered harmless indeed beneficial since they consume decaying matter.

Indoor populations of springtails tend to die off over time anyway. That's why I said repeat often.

What makes you think the bladders are so deep they won't catch springtails?

Fungus gnat larvae live near the surface of the media they only migrate from pot to pot by the adults. If you leave the pots outdoors a couple days you'll have eggs in the media. When they hatch the Utricularia will eat larvae. Shoo off any adults before you bring them indoors. I haven't had an indoor fungus gnat problem. A sand mulch layer on the pots prevents that or a treatment of BTi takes care of them without clouds of toxic sprays.

Riddle me this Batman. Why don't I find they same number of fungus gnat larvae or colonies of springtails in my pots with Utricularia in them vs those without Utricularia both indoor and out?

Over or improper use of pesticides will just kill off beneficial organisms and leave you with resistant pests.

I don't want to challenge the knowledge of the experts on this forum but where/how deep do the roots of the Utrics start producing the traps? From the pictures I've found so far it seems that the traps are about and inch or so below surface, can gnats get that deep?

When I had the gnat infestation the larvae were just 2 - 3 mm under the surface.

Overuse of pesticide is like an overuse of antibiotics, creates tolerant nasty super insects :(

If you're referring to non-Orchidioides utrics (aka: little weedy guys) in a peat-based media mix - I've found that anything resembling fertilizer produces a lot more bad than good (slime & other nasty/ugly stuff). Most of these species grow really well because they don't have any competition. I've read of someone using paramecium as a quasi-natural fertilizer.

With the larger utrics, some growers use a weak (1/4 or less strength) orchid fertilizer monthly or bi-monthly. This typically induces rapid growth of various club mosses which can be a pain...

If you're referring to non-Orchidioides utrics (aka: little weedy guys) in a peat-based media mix - I've found that anything resembling fertilizer produces a lot more bad than good (slime & other nasty/ugly stuff).
I think this is why some growers use a weak aquatic plant fertiliser. It contains very little nitrogen, even at full strength.

I just leave mine in a pot and let it grow. It feeds itself (there are little critters in the soil) and my Livida is already producing several flowers and my Calcifida and Genlisea are spreading through the soil.

There are no critters if you bleach or use peroxide on the soil though :)
I think ill use water with nematodes from my sarracenia pot to feed the utric

Back