What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Searching for special pots

Rokosauros

Edward
Having absolutely no idea where to post this, I decided to post it here :-D don't kill me for posting in the wrong section!

I'm looking for pots that have a removable plastic cover. To give you folks an idea, here's a link to a picture of a few cephalotus pots that are covered by plastic covers : http://www.petpitcher.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/ceph2.jpg

I'm planning to grow some CPs in my room windowsill, so I have this idea of using a plastic cover over a pot to maintain humidity during the night. I sleep in an air conditioned room, so the humidity is really really low in the night :-(. Simply put it this way, do you guys know anyone out there who sells such pots? If not, I'm going to have to improvise with plastic, pots, scissors and a drill :-))

Another way to accomplish the needs of your plants is to acclimate them to low humidity. What this means is that at first you put them in high humidity, and gradually, you lower it, and lower it, until they don't need the humidity at all. This is great especially if you are going through a lot of trouble to find some way to keep the humidity up. Also, many vendors out there do a good job of keeping their plants hardy. Hardy means that they can still grow and survive in tough environments such as: low humidity, high temperatures, etc. This is be very helpful in the long run since most plants (especially Nepenthes) outgrow small containers like the ones in your picture. Hope this was helpful to you. :)

Clear SOLO cups in various sizes will do the trick too. get em at almost any grocery shop.

Often cakes from grocery store bakeries will come on trays with large translucent domes over the top. Costco in particular seems to do this with most of their layer cakes (not their sheet cakes though.) $12 is kind of a lot for a 15" dome, but you get a whole black forest cake with it!
~Joe

If you have a Mills Fleet Farm store near you you can get the long black Jiffy seedling greenhouse trays and clear covers for $1.19 each (tray or cover so $2.40 per set compared to like $6.99 at home depot). I picked up half a dozen of them today. The hydroponics shop sells the 8" tall Jiffy greenhouse tray domes for a few bucks each. A Jiffy tray with a 8" clear tall dome over it is just about like a 10 gallon tank in size.

Guys, thanks for the help! Err....one problem though, are all these places you mentioned (eg. Costco, Mills Fleet Farm) located in Malaysia? :-D

Oh, he he probably not! :D

you could cut plastic bottles in half.

Hi Edward,

The 'plastic cover' that you linked to in your post looks very much like disposable pint glasses with a hole drilled in the base, to me. I have search eBay Malaysia for 'plastic pint glass' and found a few hits. You need to make sure that they are the clear type, as some of them are slightly opaque. Alternatively, as suggested above, you could cut the top/bottom off of plastic drinks bottle and add a hole for ventilation; see below for an example.

xcreiu.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Edward

I've used clear plastic pop and water bottles in the past with success, but as mobiles picture shows its a good idea to have some form of ventilation incorporated.
Cheers
Steve

The "covers" in your photo are as swords says are merely clear plastic drinking cups. And as he says Solo is one of the largest manufacturers of these. These come on all sorts of sizes and diameters. Standardize on a couple of pots and then find cups that fit. Solo also makes the containers that delis use for salads etc. These fit perfectly on some of the pots I use. If you find a cup or container that fits look at the bottom and manufacturer and model number as well as the recycle plastic code will be imprinted there. A simple google search on the manufacturer and model will point you to many online sources.

Restaurant and Bar supply outlets have dozens of options you can buy cheaply in bulk. Google "plastic drinking cups" or "Solo containers"

As mentioned before pop and water drinking bottles are an option. An expesive option as you have to pay for recycle fees as well as the contents unless you want to compete with the homeless digging through trash and recycle (illegal activity) for empties. And you get less choice on size and uniformity of appearance.

Back