Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searching for special pots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Searching for special pots

Having absolutely no idea where to post this, I decided to post it here don't kill me for posting in the wrong section!

I'm looking for pots that have a removable plastic cover. To give you folks an idea, here's a link to a picture of a few cephalotus pots that are covered by plastic covers : http://www.petpitcher.com/wp-content...8/07/ceph2.jpg

I'm planning to grow some CPs in my room windowsill, so I have this idea of using a plastic cover over a pot to maintain humidity during the night. I sleep in an air conditioned room, so the humidity is really really low in the night . Simply put it this way, do you guys know anyone out there who sells such pots? If not, I'm going to have to improvise with plastic, pots, scissors and a drill
    Edward

My Growlist
    My Twitter page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another way to accomplish the needs of your plants is to acclimate them to low humidity. What this means is that at first you put them in high humidity, and gradually, you lower it, and lower it, until they don't need the humidity at all. This is great especially if you are going through a lot of trouble to find some way to keep the humidity up. Also, many vendors out there do a good job of keeping their plants hardy. Hardy means that they can still grow and survive in tough environments such as: low humidity, high temperatures, etc. This is be very helpful in the long run since most plants (especially Nepenthes) outgrow small containers like the ones in your picture. Hope this was helpful to you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about something like this?
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CF0Q8wIwAA

they sell ones with adjustable vents on the top. Then use the plastic tray as a huge saucer for all your plants.

I use them to germinate seeds that need protection from the rain and want to be kept warm and humid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clear SOLO cups in various sizes will do the trick too. get em at almost any grocery shop.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Often cakes from grocery store bakeries will come on trays with large translucent domes over the top. Costco in particular seems to do this with most of their layer cakes (not their sheet cakes though.) $12 is kind of a lot for a 15" dome, but you get a whole black forest cake with it!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a Mills Fleet Farm store near you you can get the long black Jiffy seedling greenhouse trays and clear covers for $1.19 each (tray or cover so $2.40 per set compared to like $6.99 at home depot). I picked up half a dozen of them today. The hydroponics shop sells the 8" tall Jiffy greenhouse tray domes for a few bucks each. A Jiffy tray with a 8" clear tall dome over it is just about like a 10 gallon tank in size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, thanks for the help! Err....one problem though, are all these places you mentioned (eg. Costco, Mills Fleet Farm) located in Malaysia?
    Edward

My Growlist
    My Twitter page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, he he probably not!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast