Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emails and Contacts Deleted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jim,
    I'm sorry but I would not settle there. I absolutely positively in no way believe that statement "Unfortunately, messages permanently deleted from Trash or Spam can not be recovered. Sorry." Google holds on to everything. I would try to get on the phone with someone with a heartbeat and go from there....

And a week prior they suspected something to be going on but didnt recommend you back up everything? I think I'd play this ticket to get them to try a little harder at a restoration

Also, if this happened after suspicious activity and after you changed your password because of it, I'd be concerned with possible PC infection, ie a keylogger, that could be recording changes you make in passwords. Just a word of caution, be careful, and run a few scans just to double check

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Actually, a week before this happened, Gmail said that it thinks there was suspicious activity and suggested I change my password. So I did. Now I have the problem! Go figure.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

This is what I got when I went to Google Help:

Google Help to me

show details 2:34 PM (18 hours ago)

bkc56 has posted an answer to the question "Between Saturday & Sunday (6/4 & 6/5), somehow, Emails (Inbox,Sent, Drafts, and Trash) were wiped out. So were all of my":

It's possible that your account was compromised and
    everything deleted. If so, you need to change your password and verify
    all your other security and account settings (see http://knol.google.com/k/the-c-man/h...m_Your_Account
    and see the links below about possible recovery of the lost e-mail).

It's
    also possible you have forwarding, filters, or POP/IMAP enabled and
    operating on your messages. It could even be confusion on the
    difference between labels and folders.

Have you looked in All Mail and Trash for the missing information? Have you used Search to try and find it?

Unfortunately, messages permanently deleted from Trash or Spam can not be recovered. Sorry.

This
    is why some people do their own backups of their Gmail accounts. That
    way if the account is compromised and everything deleted they have a way
    to recover their e-mail history and contacts.
    I have like 4 or 5 back up e-mails so mine can't or really go away.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregNY View Post
    Hey Jim,
    I'm sorry but I would not settle there. I absolutely positively in no way believe that statement "Unfortunately, messages permanently deleted from Trash or Spam can not be recovered. Sorry." Google holds on to everything. I would try to get on the phone with someone with a heartbeat and go from there....

And a week prior they suspected something to be going on but didnt recommend you back up everything? I think I'd play this ticket to get them to try a little harder at a restoration

Also, if this happened after suspicious activity and after you changed your password because of it, I'd be concerned with possible PC infection, ie a keylogger, that could be recording changes you make in passwords. Just a word of caution, be careful, and run a few scans just to double check
    I'm following up on this. I'm wondering if the request to change my password was bogus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I'm following up on this. I'm wondering if the request to change my password was bogus.
    hmm... sound like a scam to me. Did the email asking you to change your password contain a link to login page?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't even think of that password change being a scam but unfortunately I think you're on to something there...

There is a Resotration of Contacts but unfortunately apparently that didnt work for you :-/
    Last edited by GregNY; 06-08-2011 at 07:03 AM.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what do I do with it? Change it back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think create a new password again just to be safe and sure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive had those emails from gmail, paypal, facebook etc. Always look at the link given, and its usually a weird link or has a funny file type to it. If your not sure, dont click the link, but actually go to your address bar and type in the site and do it manually, never follow those links.

My wife did this once and took forever to get rid of the virus that was placed on our computer. Live and learn.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast