What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hmm.. now where to build a GH?

So I got an early Father's Day gift today. After testing out my new lawn mower, I discovered numerous hidden treats throughout the yard (Flowers!!). Now that I have a nicer looking yard, I can start planning the construction of my outdoor greenhouse. For those of you that have one, where do you think the best spot would be?
Also, a few guest appearances from my son, Aiden.

My new beast! I love this mower.. Big thanks to my little man.

IMG_5854.jpg

North side sunny strip

IMG_5853.jpg

North side shaded area

IMG_5840.jpg

East end

IMG_5842.jpg

Center yard

IMG_5841.jpg

SouthEast corner.. near wine grapes.

IMG_5843.jpg

Northern strip

IMG_5852.jpg

Surprise Flowers

IMG_5849.jpg

IMG_5850.jpg

IMG_5848.jpg

IMG_5847.jpg

IMG_5845.jpg

IMG_5844.jpg

you might want to look at the layout of the property in relation to the north-south movement of the sun with the season. I think most large greenhouses are laid out to run parallel to the East West orientation to maximize the sunlight for all seasons......

Awww, cute kids, spacious yards, and pretty flowers! So nice! :-D

Aww, your son's so cute!

Aww, your son's so cute!

Yeah, and he knows it. Definitely lives up to the family name.

Awww, cute kids, spacious yards, and pretty flowers! So nice! :-D

It's actually all the same kid.. :lol: But thanks dear.

you might want to look at the layout of the property in relation to the north-south movement of the sun with the season. I think most large greenhouses are laid out to run parallel to the East West orientation to maximize the sunlight for all seasons......

hmm.. so.. :scratch: I think the Northern strip would be best. It runs East to West, and gets the most sunlight throughout the year.
Love your new avatar btw!

This is how mine is oriented as well. I do put up a 70% shade cloth in the summer to offset the heat factor a bit.
Are we getting a little excited about the new BIG GH!?
And yes, that Mini Mass sure is a cutie! I bet he NEVER gets dirty huh?:-D

I don't feel like I know enough about the property yet to have a meaningful opinion, but I do have one suggestion/thing to think about. Do you plan on building any bogs/raised beds/veggie plots/etc. in the yard as well? Especially since you see some harsh winter weather, a little planning using permaculture principles can save you a lot of money and heartache down the road, and potentially give you much wider options about what you can grow and where.
Small trees, large shrubs, or trellises with something like those wine grapes can provide filtered sun/dappled shade during hot summer months while remaining out of the way during the rest of the year to maximize your winter sun if you measure out your angles right, and serve as windbreaks year-round to protect from storm damage. Properly arranged raised beds can protect against cold drafts that travel low to the ground, or you can get the same function on the cheap by building earth berms from hay bales that have been topped with a mound of compost and then planted with tall grass, wildflowers, or shorter annual crops like fruit-bearing shrubs or Jeruselam artichoke. If you plan right you could both use these techniques to improve conditions for the greenhouse, and use the placement of the greenhouse to enhance your options for the rest of the yard.
By taking into account nearby structures and landscape features such as fences, neighboring buildings, hills/valleys, stands of trees, etc., combined with the orientation of your property in terms of cardinal direction, you can tell where your local weather patterns will come from. Then you use layered perimeters of barriers such as trees, shrubs and berms to divert the wind around sensitive areas. If I recall correctly, a skilled thorough application of permaculture techniques can often allow you to grow plants as many as two USDA zones higher than you would usually be able to - perhaps even more. And when they're well cared for they tend to be very inviting and aesthetically pleasing.
Also, I'm soooo freaking jealous.
~Joe

PS - Also think about a spot for the compost heater. Srsly. It doesn't have to go in this year, and if you set aside a good spot for it I'll help you design and build it as soon as I have the means.

Last edited:
omg Joe.. that was a lot of info. I'm a simpleton remember, and my mind is mush.. small words buddy, small words. But I got the jist of it. If you'd like, I'll PM you my address so you can check out an aerial view on google Earth. Dumb people like me REALLY need smart people like you. ;)

Larry.. :lol: I swear that kid get's dirty in the bath.

THAT. That was very good info, Joe. Even you put it there for Mass, thanks! I'll sneak away a few morsels to use. I can't use earthen berms (all brick patio), but I can take advantage of a few things.

So cute boy and beautiful yard

I like the location of the Northern strip but I guess one thing to keep in mind is how the sun moves across your yard during the day AND the season. I don't know if I would venture recommend any location in particular. You know your yard best.

There's one section I didn't photograph that get's full sun all day. It's literally right outside the front door. But it's ALL dirt.. and ugly. Probably the best spot for a pretty GH. :lol:

Oh man, I wish owning a house wasn't such a far off prospect for me.
Ditto what everyone else says, adorable kid.

omg Joe.. that was a lot of info. I'm a simpleton remember, and my mind is mush.. small words buddy, small words. But I got the jist of it. If you'd like, I'll PM you my address so you can check out an aerial view on google Earth. Dumb people like me REALLY need smart people like you. ;)

I can assure you Trav, 90% of the permaculture majors at Evergreen are substantially more fried than you. I have a nasty habit of packing a lot of info into too small a space - it's just my fancy vernacular that's tripping you up. Once we find you a few how-to books on the matter you won't have trouble following along. To keep things PG I'll just say that a lot of those books are written to the lowest common denominator of the organic/natural foods/treehugging crowd.

THAT. That was very good info, Joe. Even you put it there for Mass, thanks! I'll sneak away a few morsels to use. I can't use earthen berms (all brick patio), but I can take advantage of a few things.

I think with a little creativity you can manage, Katie. Ask me sometime on the chatbox if you think about it and we can toss around a few ideas. Off the top of my head, I'd say you could use a similar concept of seeded hay bales, perhaps secured in raised-bed-like frames, and turn them into low planted walls or "grass sofas." There's a blog I read that's full of ideas that you could use... I'm just too sleepy to remember what it is.
~Joe

PS - Travis, go ahead and PM me your addy, the link for your greenhouse kit, and anything else that seems relevant, and I'll see what kind of info I can come up with in the morning.

Last edited:
Back