Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great update! Beautiful veitchii!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato77429 View Post
    I was just talking about this with someone else. The correct latin pronunciation would be "flah-vah," but I tend to just pronounce these names as I see them. For example, I was criticized by someone for saying "jahm-bahn" when he claimed it was "jam-ban," but hey, I took Latin and that's what I base it off of. Tomayto/tomahto, right?

dunno. words used outside of latin such as names and places tend to complicate things? do you just pronounce it as you would the name, or would you latinize it?
    tatei, kenneallyi, macdonaldae, jacquelineae, macfarleni, mikei, pittopangii, leonardii, attenboroughii--a whole slew of non-latin names, do we pronounce these latinized or not? i have the tendency to pronounce them as non-latin except for their suffixes.

jamban is not latin but rather indonesian, meaning "toilet"---so, personally, i would have pronounced the name the way an indonesian would. but that's just me.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    dunno. words used outside of latin such as names and places tend to complicate things? do you just pronounce it as you would the name, or would you latinize it?
    tatei, kenneallyi, macdonaldae, jacquelineae, macfarleni, mikei, pittopangii, leonardii, attenboroughii--a whole slew of non-latin names, do we pronounce these latinized or not? i have the tendency to pronounce them as non-latin except for their suffixes.

jamban is not latin but rather indonesian, meaning "toilet"---so, personally, i would have pronounced the name the way an indonesian would. but that's just me.

Good point, I suppose it's hard to say though, since both of the words used in binomial nomenclature are supposed to be in Latin grammatical form. However, I suppose this doesn't necessarily mean it has to be pronounce as such, since some of the words have no latin derivatives..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post

In my head?
    flava = flah - vah (like open up and say 'aaahhh' at the doctor's)
    tatei = tat - eh
    kenneallyi = keen- ee- ally - eye
    macdonaldae = macdonald - eye
    jacquelineae = zhahckwelin - ee - eye
    macfarlenei = macfarlan - eh
    mikei = mike- ee - eye
    pitopangii = most of the time, pit - o - pang - ee. if I feel prissy the end turns from 'ee' to 'ee - eye'
    attenboroughii = a'en'bor-ee cuz I'm a yanqui as david would say haha!
    and I'm sure I'm doing jamban wrong, but zhahm- bahn. like in auto-bahn.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that in a lot of cases only the person who named the plant, and some close associates, would be certain. Many scientific names are greek-based as well. As long as we know which plants we're talking about I'm good.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought the suffix "ae" was pronounced like a hard "A". I have never taken Latin courses though, so I wouldn't know.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    I always thought the suffix "ae" was pronounced like a hard "A". I have never taken Latin courses though, so I wouldn't know.
    That would be correct.