What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how do you say......?

After being totally confused, looking at 3 different sets of rules for Latin, speaking to those who know much more then I and those who have spent time in the region....
I will start the ball rolling with Heliamphora related terminology

List has been pre-editied/proofed and with additional input and comments added from C12 and BB, thanks for the help

ki-man-TEN-sis
el-ON-gata or El-on-gata (which I hear a great deal, especially in the UK)
ex-ap-pen-DIC-ulata
fol-LIC-ulata
GLA-bra
het-ERO-doxa or HET-ero-doxa (hard "h")
ION-asi (EYE-ON-ah-see)
his-PID-a (his-PID-ahh) or (HIS-pid-ahh)
MI-nor
neb-LIN-ae (neb-LIN-eye) or neb-LIN-ee
NU-tans
pul-CHEL-la
sar-ra-cen-IO-ides (sar-ra-cen-EYE-OH-eyeds)
AKO-pan
an-GAS-ima (an-GAS-eye-ma) or an-GAS-eema
tes-TEE-gos
TA-tei (TA-tee-eye) or TA-tee-ee (as some in Venezuela say)
Mah-ARU-aka

Tres Testigos are both tepuis and the name of tiny islands off the coast there. There they pronounce it "TESTI-gos" so far as I can tell . . .

Please add your feedback and additions :)

Last edited:
Thanks! I will be the first to admit, I am a butcher of carnivorous plant names.

AN-gas-ima, too, now that I think of it and EE-long-ata; so too, when mentioning Hugo Chavez, the "h" in "psychotic pinhead" is often silent . . .

LOL, omg hehehehehe

ki-man-TEN-sis ---> i used to say this as well, then i learned that the name is derived from the Chimantia Tepui.

Chimantia is pronouced Ch as in cheese, not Kye...so reason dicatates that it is chimantensis is pronounced the same...

Hmm thats how Butch said it, but we revised it to Ki...

Hey, the 'h' in Hugo is silent in spanish :p

ki-man-TEN-sis ---> i used to say this as well, then i learned that the name is derived from the Chimantia Tepui.

Chimantia is pronouced Ch as in cheese, not Kye...so reason dicatates that it is chimantensis is pronounced the same...

And the Brits say "keph" instead of "ceph" in cephalopoda. I have heard both "Chee" and "K-eye" pronounced. Forget it if you ever hear Wistuba speak . . .

Hmm thats how Butch said it, but we revised it to Ki...

hehehehe well at least we can all agree on 3 or 4 close variants of each, and that is a major help to many of us trust me

very nice, just what i was hoping would happen

:)

Aww, stop beating around the bush and just pronounce them southern for all us ladies ;)

LOL, Zu.... you know that no matter what i do it will come out southern. There is absolutely no getting away from that and we both know it

I just wanna be in the ball park hon

:p

My friends in Texas really milk it for what it's worth. Heeeeliamphor-aye sarra-cen-ioioioi-deez. It's dynamite!

omg its gone viral and i havent even made it yet

burys head on desk LOL

Lay on the southern suuuper thick av :awesome:

lmAO...this is awsome... Comeon B..... U gotta record u trying to say those names mate. :D Will get my popcorn ready :p

omg hush v
:p

now who is going to pick up the ball and run with the Nepenthes version hmmmmmm?

LMAO....god!! I'll butcher the names.

But I am trying to say them based on how Rob Cantley pronounced them in the hunting vegges video.

Is it BUTCH-in-ensis or, possibly butch-IN-ensis?

LMAO....god!! I'll butcher the names.

But I am trying to say them based on how Rob Cantley pronounced them in the hunting vegges video.

Eh?

Its the BE "documentary' made by siggi. (check it out on youtube). before watching that, a coupe of species ...I wasn't sure if I was spelling them the right way.

Back