Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One week vacation, what to do?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    My plants are fine for a week without watering if I move them out of the sun and just put them behind a window where they get maybe 1hr direct sun a day while I'm away if I can't find a sitter. They'll slow down, but they don't die if you don't leave them sitting in water (unless they're Sarrs or Nep cuttings - leave those in water) so they don't all rot. I get sent on travel a lot for work and it's ok for me... and I think my collection looks pretty darn good
    The problem is that it has been very hot here in Philadelphia lately. Hot and humid. Not only the trays dry out faster but I have noticed that I get algae growing in the pots if I don't have good air circulation. Literally I came in one day from work with temps in 90s, no air ciculation and I found a tint of green in few pots. It was smoldering hot in the room. Next day, left the ceiling fan on medium in the room with ventilation holes uncovered = no green!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd put the plants right in front of the AC. In that case 1. when it turns on they'll get a breeze and 2. they won't get hotter than 80 degrees. Even if they're in the dark for a week, if you don't leave them sopping wet they won't rot... they might be annoyed for a little while, but they shouldn't die imho.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What If I put them on the windowsill (i'm planning on expanding the windowsill this weekend) and leave the window 5 - 6 inches raised so that the plants will be exposed to the breeze (when there will be some) and will get some sun aswell. The only problem I foresee is the sun acclimatization, all the plants are grown under 2X32W T8 (48") lights.

So windowsill or the fan with the timer....

P.S. I have central AC so the hole is on the bottom of the room. I don't thing I can put plants there. Additionally I was planning on switching the AC off, or setting it on 80+

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12