Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: When washing peat moss...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When washing peat moss...

...following the Tamlin's method I've noticed that after it stood in the bucket with water for a week peat separated into two layers. One - top layer - floats in the top of the bucket and the other - bottom layer - lies on the bottom of the bucket. This bottom layer also looks darker.

My question: when collecting the moss from the bucket for the second washing should I only collect the top peat layer and dump the bottom?

Darker peat = peat from the older deposits that potentially have more nutrients?

Thank you!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also use a spaghetti collander or anything with mesh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wash peat moss?
    why?
    I have never bothered.
    (except to remove sticks and large debris)

Scot

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    should I only collect the top peat layer and dump the bottom?

Darker peat = peat from the older deposits that potentially have more nutrients?

Thank you!
    What a waste of a non-renewable resource. Why not just buy premium quality peat moss in the first place? In the US bales are available in 2 or 3 quality grades. Europe maybe as many as 6 grades.

As for the reasons for rinsing the peat moss read Tamlin's article. It can make all the difference with small or sensitive Drosera species (e.g. pygmy and South American).
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    What a waste of a non-renewable resource. Why not just buy premium quality peat moss in the first place? In the US bales are available in 2 or 3 quality grades. Europe maybe as many as 6 grades.
    That is Premium Canadian moss I'm washing. That dark bottom layer of peat looks almost like mud, it flows, it is very slippery to the touch.
    NaN why don't you send me your address, I'll collect that bottom layer, dry it and send it to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gill_za,
    The premium Canadian brand is the one i also use, and it definitely is inferior to other brands (which i haven't bought, since i have enough to last me 10 years at this point...)

With the very thin lower layer, I've found seems to contain more nutrients, but if you wring that out several times, too, it provides an excellent medium for seedling germination, regardless of the algae it might produce. It is more fine and i grew these D. spatulata var. bakoensis from seed in it with very good results:

Also, it's sad to see how many people use peat by the bales and bales just to dump in their lawn/garden for really stupid, basic uses, which could easily be filled using normal dirt...

And if anyone could recommend higher-grade moss that they haven't needed to rinse, that would be wonderful.
    Thanks,
    Aaron
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPlantaholic View Post
    gill_za,
    The premium Canadian brand is the one i also use, and it definitely is inferior to other brands (which i haven't bought, since i have enough to last me 10 years at this point...)

With the very thin lower layer, I've found seems to contain more nutrients, but if you wring that out several times, too, it provides an excellent medium for seedling germination, regardless of the algae it might produce. It is more fine and i grew these D. spatulata var. bakoensis from seed in it with very good results:

Also, it's sad to see how many people use peat by the bales and bales just to dump in their lawn/garden for really stupid, basic uses, which could easily be filled using normal dirt...

And if anyone could recommend higher-grade moss that they haven't needed to rinse, that would be wonderful.
    Thanks,
    Aaron
    Aaron, thank you very much for the reply. That is exactly what I was concerned with. That bottom layer is peat but it consists of much finer particles, and its overall darker color made me suspect that it is richer in nutrients than the rest of the peat. I had previous issues with algae and cyanobacteria in my indoor pots and really dont want to repeat that experience. I guess I'll collect that bottom portion separately and use it for my future outside minibog

BTW, your site helped me start my little collection and got me interested in CP to begin with. Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear, what is the actual brand of "premium canadian" moss? >.>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast