What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about chloroplasts

This week my biology teacher decided to be especially pinickity and asked us to find the exact points of photosynthesis on a chloroplast, apparently there are 2. Could anyone help me out with an answer? Thanks for any help :D

not my field of study but a little reading....

thylakoid space and the thylakoid membrane?

I think I'm right but bigBella (David) would be a better resource, maybe PM him...

i had the chance to take a plant physiology class and we talked a lot about photosynth...but the question is a bit vague.
If the teacher is referring to just the light reactions, Butch has you covered.

But if she's referring to the overall process of photosynthesis, where carbon dioxide is fixated in order to make sugars, then it is a bit more complex.
The 2 processes of photosynthesis can be referred to as the light reactions and the Calvin-Benson cycle (carbon fixation) reactions.
The light reactions occur in the thylakoid (smaller compartments inside of the larger chloroplast organelle) and the carbon fixation process occurs in the stroma of the choloroplast.

But there's a ton of complexity to the system, and the chlorophyll molecules/carotenoids and other pigments are present in the membrane of the thylakoid.

so still not exactly sure, but at least you have multiple options now lol.

Thanks guys, thats more than enough info :D

Back