What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off-topic Anime thread :)

This thread angers me.

If something angers you and does not seem to anger others or the majority, the problem is on your end, wouldn't you say?

Just finished Angel beats.

A great series, but I cried my eyes out a few times. The ending was probably the best they could have done... but unfortunately, there could never have been something truly satisfying... the plot of "reincarnation" just doesn't work like that.

:cry: :cry: :down: :down:

Edit: I don't want to be confused like I was with bakemonogatari... Wiki says that it is an ANIME only series, but then it mentions that is has a light novel and manga... Can someone explain this, please?

OMG you were so right about angel beats!! :laaa:

I haven't seen as many series as some of you have, but my favorites are:
Bleach
Naruto
Bokurano
Elfen Lied
Yu Yu Hakusho
Neon Genesis Evangelion (as well as Rebuild)
Hellsing
@Nya Are you familiar with the capslock communities, by any chance?

@Nya Are you familiar with the capslock communities, by any chance?

the live journal stuff from back in the day? never a part of it - just found my way there whenever i had a paper due or some other sort of studying that i was supposed to be doing.

Just finished watching Gurren laggan... after seeing the AMV "yoko is perfect" (not posting a video this time!) Great series in general, though I think they really had no idea what to put after the 20th or so episode. it might have been better as two seasons, instead of one conglomeration... judging by the: (incoming whited spoilers) SEVEN YEAR TIME SKIP.. Also, though the ending was like angel beats, I couldn't bring myself to cry over it.. because it was really just pointless. And the relationship wasn't as cute. I mean, several people died to bring her back....

OMG you were so right about angel beats!! :laaa:

Did you watch the whole thing? If so, please come over to my house so we can cry together. :)

I haven't seen as many series as some of you have, but my favorites are:
Bleach
Naruto
Bokurano
Elfen Lied
Yu Yu Hakusho
Neon Genesis Evangelion (as well as Rebuild)
Hellsing

In the middle of reading elfen lied... I'm not sure I'd be able to stomach an anime. They're already blowing up babies in manga form, how horrific would it be in color animation...?

On that list, Yu Yu hakusho has the extremely rare distinction of having a dub that I like. Maybe it's because I watched it as a kid, but it by far has the best english voice actors I have ever seen, in addition to not being censored when they dubbed it.

Yoko-Kurama FTW. Everyone here should love him just because of his meat-eating demon plants! :)

PS: Is it possible to put spoiler tags on this forum? I tried the
tag, no luck.

Did you watch the whole thing? If so, please come over to my house so we can cry together. :)

omg crying alone in an empty apt is soooooooooooo depressing

In the middle of reading elfen lied... I'm not sure I'd be able to stomach an anime. They're already blowing up babies in manga form, how horrific would it be in color animation...?

no worries! i think the anime is a milder than the manga. tho it has been awhile since i watched it... so i may be wrong... good luck with that!

On that list, Yu Yu hakusho has the extremely rare distinction of having a dub that I like. Maybe it's because I watched it as a kid, but it by far has the best english voice actors I have ever seen, in addition to not being censored when they dubbed it.

Yoko-Kurama FTW. Everyone here should love him just because of his meat-eating demon plants! :)

PS: Is it possible to put spoiler tags on this forum? I tried the
tag, no luck.
dude i totally had a crush on kurama >.< something about that long flowing silver hair... though... hiei was pretty ****** too!!

@Sig: In my opinion, the manga is far more horrific than the anime, although that may be in part because the anime ends before the plot gets truly dark.
@Nya: Oddly enough for a plant nut, I think that Kuwabara might be my favorite. Hiei is sort of special to me because he reminds me of my best friend. And I think that everyone who watched YYH when they were young had some sort of crush on Kurama.

Yeah, can't forget hiei! I don't remember if the anime had the same ending as the manga, but putting the slave master on the death plant pedestal was too awesome for words. Of course, that was also kurama's doing... ;)

I guess it makes sense that elfen lied would be toned down for the anime. There is some seriously messed up shirt in here. it would be a little hard to publicly broadcast it...

omg crying alone in an empty apt is soooooooooooo depressing

:hug:

... I wish I had someone to do that for me... over a month later, I still feel down for a while thinking about it.

Finished elfen lied. I FREAKING KNEW that (spoiler) Bandou would live. Not even losing both arms, eyes, and the lower half of your body stops that guy.

Meanwhile I'm being forced at gunpoint to watch the anime even though it seems to be cut short like 12 episodes. And "gunpoint" meaning he'll watch angel beats if I do xD

Is it bad to keep posting about manga? This is an anime thread but I don't know where else to put it. :down:

Up to speed with hekikai no AION. It's about... I have no freaking clue, because the plot has come into play maybe twice. Aions or something, but you won't see much of them. ;) Made by the same people as chibi vampire, which I liked a lot expect for the ending. It's pretty good.

Halfway through Highschool of the Dead (manga). It's pretty good, except I read the first five volumes yesterday from 8 PM to 1 AM, while listening to the same song over and over and over. Listening to a catchy song with only one rememberable line while reading about a zombie apocalypse is NOT a good idea. I didn't sleep at all, so I'm a bit of a zombie myself right now! xD (note: not for people who couldn't handle deadman wonderland.)

On the urging of a friend, I watched the first episode of the english dubbed Elfen Lied. It was really painful for me to sit through past the first couple of minutes or so. Partially because of awful voices (the only okay one was kouta) and partially because it's full color animated uber-gore. I can't watch any more. I'm told the manga is much more horrific, but I guess I can just stand that stuff better.

I was going to read clannad afterstory, but then some buttface spoiled the tearjerker for me. Should I still bother?

Everyone, join in! I'm all alooooone! :cry:

On episode four of "Ben-to". This is the weirdest plot choice I have ever seen. I have had a "wtf is going on" expression on my face for the last several episodes.

...Fighting to the death over half-priced food. I mean, really?

Edit: six hours later, I finish it. That should show you how funny it was.

Last edited:
Can someone give me their opinion on NGE (Evangelion)

Can someone give me their opinion on NGE (Evangelion)

Eva... The anime is great! But it is rather "heavy", it messes with your head a bit. In addition to that if I remember correctly Anno Hideaki was going through a severe depression near the end of the series. And thus the ending was rather messed up. They remade it and it was even more strange. It is very bloody too:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y0zHde0r0-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would recommend to watch it but wait for the remakes, they should be more clean:

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4847
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6171
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=7565 - not out yet (sometime this year)

There is a debate in which order to watch the series. Here is one version of it:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=278878

I loved the series! NGE and Lain were my introductions to the world of anime :)

All of this Cowboy bebop, and no one gives a shoutout to Samurai Champloo?!

EVA is great, but like gill_za said, it can be quite disturbing and hard to grasp. I was (and still am) suffering from severe depression when I first watched it last spring, and it actually helped my mindset. It's really not a series for everyone, and it's not a series that is easy to understand on the first viewing. The Rebuild of the series is great, in my opinion, as is the movie, End of Evangelion. I'd recommend giving it a chance, at the very least.
@gill_za I think you'll like this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAiZAfCSjBw&list=FLYeonJyogUNpTut8X8GUOrw&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Several Animes that I have watched, several liked, and just as many disliked...
Currently just finished the only flippin' 4 episodes of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, eagerly awaiting episode 5 (Do out in May @_@) but it is probably by far one of the best Gundam series made, though its only supposed to be 6 episodes long... each episode is 1 hour, its beautifully done... Also just finished After War Gundam X....

Another pretty good one, though kinda squishy (but has a really good story line IMO) Is Eden of the East...

Back