What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recycling tires for raised bed gardens?

How potentially unsafe would it be to use old tractor tires as garden planters? Most info on the internet I have found is either speculative or ambiguous. (Go figure). Perhaps lining it with a thick grade plastic? ???
Thanks in advance for anyone's input.

As far as for regular gardens, my parents for years had an eight foot tractor tire that they grew strawberries in and it was great. If you're planning on a bog garden I'd ask around a little to see if anyone has used one or had any experience with these.

My step dad owned a tire shop so we had many planters made from skidder tires and other large tires. We always used them perennials and fruit bushes. Never had any problems but not sure how they would effect CP's.

In grade school we had some giant tractor tires cemented to the playground to climb on we could get inside of them and I remember they would get very hot in direct sun. So that would be my only concern would be thought is how hot the soil might get inside a big black tire. You could always line the inside with a pond liner so it wouldn't leach anything into the soil mix. But it might be like a giant black planter and cook the roots. I use white pots for outdoor plants to try and reflect off the light/heat.

Back