Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The triple digit heat is here!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool The triple digit heat is here!!

Hi guys! I live in Southern California near Palm Springs and it has been getting HOT. For the past few weeks, I have noticed that my flavas and now also my dentate flytraps have been getting burned from the extreme heat in the direct sun so I decided to move them under the patio where they get dappled sunlight throughout the day. My judith hindle and other flytraps aren't doing bad so I left them as they were. Also, along with the high temps, I have been top watering as well as filling their trays with water to try and cool the soil temps a little.

My question is: is this a good decision? I am worried that it will stunt theur growth or something lol.
    Is there any tips or other things I should be doing for my plants to ensure good growing in the summer?

Thanks
    Brandon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if I'll be of any help but I've grown Sarrs and Flytraps outside throughout summer temperatures reaching 100's and steady in the 90s here on Long Island for two years now. I think you're definitely on the right track with the watering and just monitoring the soil wetness is key to success.

Not sure which is better, being in the direct sun or under that patio of yours. I've given mine full sun with no real problems to speak of and from what I've remembered reading, the more sun the better with VFT's and Sarrs...

**Edit -- Looking at your pics on the other thread, your Sarrs look awesome as do the VFT's although they may be looking a little pale due to camera lighting?? Both are looking real good, are those shots in full sun??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my sarracenia in the photos on the other thread were when I had just got them a while back. Now, my flavas' lids are kinda browning up even on small developing pitchers. I know sarracenia and vt's like a lot of sun but I do think that they are burning a bit
    As for the vt's, the photo does make them look a little more pale, but for vt's, they don't have much red on them. I've grown them in full sun eber since I've had them and they have times when they get a lot of red on them and then the following traps have no red on them The dentate vt is the only one getting "burned" as a lot of its traps are browning very quickly.

I will post more photos tomorrow of the plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKraken View Post
    Well, my sarracenia in the photos on the other thread were when I had just got them a while back. Now, my flavas' lids are kinda browning up even on small developing pitchers. I know sarracenia and vt's like a lot of sun but I do think that they are burning a bit
    As for the vt's, the photo does make them look a little more pale, but for vt's, they don't have much red on them. I've grown them in full sun eber since I've had them and they have times when they get a lot of red on them and then the following traps have no red on them The dentate vt is the only one getting "burned" as a lot of its traps are browning very quickly.

I will post more photos tomorrow of the plants
    VFTs are weird that way. Some plants have red while others don't. Look at the same plants during at some other time and they've traded places. Of course genetics do have a roll to play, but the plants change color. Maybe they're green if getting much grub?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brandon,

It might be prudent to move your plants to dappled shade during the hottest parts of the year. I think your decision to do that maybe prudent.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thnaks for the input guys! Here are some photos of my flavas and the one vt I am worried about :

Notice the "burning" on the top of the lid

Here is a brand new developing pitcher that's already starting to turn brown

And the vft I am worried about

What do you think now?

Thanks
    Brandon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still thinking that VFT is looking just fine. I may stand corrected though. Moving those sarracenia to a shadier spot would be good advice for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have hit triple numbers as well. It was 104 yesterday and hit that by noon today. All my Cps are inside so they are fine, but the garden plants have been spoiled by the nice weather and everything was wilted. Back to watering the garden twice a day and watching the lawn burn.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast