Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free pots from Lowes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

there a recycling place in town hear that sells building and gardening stuff,cheap and most of the time the pots are free,they have lights for a few dollars ,also shelves,here in Eugene oregon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get free pots, etc from walmart. I went there a couple of weeks ago and picked up lots of stuff they were going to throw away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to go off topic but i didn't know that Lowes had clean sand. What brand do you use?
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." --George Carlin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at our Walmart. They will not even lower the price. They throw everything away and lock the bins. They say that they have to do it that way to get full insurance.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? My Walmart gives me half price on the sale plants if I tell them they're about to die anyway. I do buy a lot of flowers and other yard plants from them all of the time though.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In canada, I found that Sheridan Nursaries (606 southdown road) has been doing this recycling for over 3y now. I did pick out a few pots from there, but now I am more paranoid about pests and prefer my own fresh pots. I also additionally microwave my old pots after washing with a wet paper towel to steam kill any bugs. Should be efficient against creeping bugs, but maybe not too much for spores.

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The home depot near me did the same...just gave them a good cleaning. Also working in a greenhouse for a semester gave me access to a lot of "extra" pots LOL.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    Sorry to go off topic but i didn't know that Lowes had clean sand. What brand do you use?
    I got a big bag of "paver sand", says also for gardening applications.. Dont remember the brand off hand.

Edit: So I looked it up.. its "Greensmix Paver Sand". Im trying to find info on it now.. I ASSUMED it was just regular play-type sand, its what it looks like, and since it said "garden applications" on the bag, I figured it was safe for plants... But I cant seem to find much info as to what the sand is actually made of..

Reading websites it says:

-Provides a stable sand layer on top base material
    -Locks pavers,garden and stepping stones into place
    -Use in conjunction with greensmix paver base

but then under specs it says: "Sand Type: All Purpose":

So I think it boils down to, i'm going to mix some up and put it in a cup and see how it acts.. Maybe if I just rinse it a bunch it'll be usable.
    Last edited by Brie; 06-29-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast