What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free pots from Lowes

Brie

Sarracenia freak
I dunno if this is common knowledge or what, but I figured i'd share this.

So I went to Lowes looking for a few things, including the cheap little plastic seedling pots most places carry.. And after a thorough inspection, found out Lowes didnt carry them. So I grabbed a big bag of sand and some other stuff in the outdoor garden center and went to the counter outside to pay, Where I then saw a few big plant racks covered in used pots and trays, with a sign that said "recycle your used pots here". So I told the lady at the register "Hey, I was looking for those kind of pots, but looks like you don't carry them?".. The lady said "Yeah, sorry.. But if you want some go take as many as you want, just remember to bring any pots back to recycle once your plants outgrow them". So I was like SCORE! And grabbed a few stacks. Just got done cleaning them all in soapy bleach water and counted em, ended up with 35 free pots, ranging from 3" to 10-12" big rubber ones... So yeah, I dunno if this is a regional thing, but might be worth checking your local Lowes for used pots if you're in need of some.. Definitely saved me a few bucks.

Nice.

I got free pots form my local grocery store. :-D I've never looked for them at Lowes though... I've only been there once actually. :p

At my lowes there's a big cart of stuff in the back they throw away, even death cube containers and plants that look okay. They don't let you take them, even though it's technically garbage. As lime slide once said, they're all "hey, he's stealing our trash!" but they do... so unfortunately they might not be so nice at other lowes.

At my lowes there's a big cart of stuff in the back they throw away, even death cube containers and plants that look okay. They don't let you take them, even though it's technically garbage. As lime slide once said, they're all "hey, he's stealing our trash!" but they do... so unfortunately they might not be so nice at other lowes.

Hmm, this wasnt out back in the trash or anything, this was in the outdoor garden center by the front door/register.. With a sign that said "recycled pots here" or something like that. So it might be different then digging through the trash.

I have never seen such a setup in San Diego. I tend to think it's regional...but I'm glad you picked up a few useful items.

I get free pots from work when people throw out their dead plants, I have been able to revive several dead plants from this as well. Oh the things that people throw away. My cyclosecta, anthurium, snake plants, and bamboo plants were all garbage strays, if only I could get CPs from the trash at work -- not likely in Utah though.

I'll have to check that out. Free is such a good price!

My mother works a for a small city.
When they plant shrubs, her boss lets her bring home the one gallon nursery pots for me.
It's the small four inch pots that I really need. It would be strange to have a royal truncata in a one gallon pot. :-D

there a recycling place in town hear that sells building and gardening stuff,cheap and most of the time the pots are free,they have lights for a few dollars ,also shelves,here in Eugene oregon:-))

You can get free pots, etc from walmart. I went there a couple of weeks ago and picked up lots of stuff they were going to throw away:).

Sorry to go off topic but i didn't know that Lowes had clean sand. What brand do you use?

Not at our Walmart. They will not even lower the price. They throw everything away and lock the bins. They say that they have to do it that way to get full insurance.

Really? My Walmart gives me half price on the sale plants if I tell them they're about to die anyway:p. I do buy a lot of flowers and other yard plants from them all of the time though.

In canada, I found that Sheridan Nursaries (606 southdown road) has been doing this recycling for over 3y now. I did pick out a few pots from there, but now I am more paranoid about pests and prefer my own fresh pots. I also additionally microwave my old pots after washing with a wet paper towel to steam kill any bugs. Should be efficient against creeping bugs, but maybe not too much for spores.

The home depot near me did the same...just gave them a good cleaning. Also working in a greenhouse for a semester gave me access to a lot of "extra" pots LOL.

Sorry to go off topic but i didn't know that Lowes had clean sand. What brand do you use?

I got a big bag of "paver sand", says also for gardening applications.. Dont remember the brand off hand.

Edit: So I looked it up.. its "Greensmix Paver Sand". Im trying to find info on it now.. I ASSUMED it was just regular play-type sand, its what it looks like, and since it said "garden applications" on the bag, I figured it was safe for plants... But I cant seem to find much info as to what the sand is actually made of..

Reading websites it says:

-Provides a stable sand layer on top base material
-Locks pavers,garden and stepping stones into place
-Use in conjunction with greensmix paver base

but then under specs it says: "Sand Type: All Purpose":

So I think it boils down to, i'm going to mix some up and put it in a cup and see how it acts.. Maybe if I just rinse it a bunch it'll be usable.

Last edited:
Brie, I think if you pour a little vinegar on it and watch for a baking soda type reaction (fizzing, foaming, etc.) that you can tell pretty easily if it'll be usable.

Back