What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brie's CP photo thread

Very nice. I don't grow utrics but this species makes me want to explore the genus some. Man, you do get the dark backgrounds, Brie!

Very nice. I don't grow utrics but this species makes me want to explore the genus some. Man, you do get the dark backgrounds, Brie!

Thanks. :) Yeah I wasnt really a huge fan, I only have 4-5 sp of them.. but being able to grow them on a windowsill is nice..

As for the dark backgrounds, its just a big sheet of black paperboard.. Sometimes I use one of my old black t-shirts as a drape under/behind the plant for an all around effect... Which is what I did for the photo of the whole plant.

WHOA.. I'm in shock by how amazing those Utric photos are. I have some black paperboard, but am never, ever able to recreate that! What do you use for lighting for those types of photos?

Nice ! I need expose my U.longifolia to some seasonal changes again so they'll do that for me !

WHOA.. I'm in shock by how amazing those Utric photos are. I have some black paperboard, but am never, ever able to recreate that! What do you use for lighting for those types of photos?

Thanks :) For lighting, I usually use one or two cheap bendy neck table lamps with those spiral compact flourescent bulbs in them.. The key is using a slower shutter speed and smaller aperture... So say like, 30 shutter, f/10... something like that.. Really helps... me at least..

seriously though.. IS THERE ANYTHING YOU CAN'T GROW!?!?!
you suck. So jealous of your mad skillz. When are you going to publish a DYI CP Growing book for us noobs?

seriously though.. IS THERE ANYTHING YOU CAN'T GROW!?!?!
you suck. So jealous of your mad skillz. When are you going to publish a DYI CP Growing book for us noobs?

LOL I dont have any mad skills.. There's plenty I cant grow.. Cephs for instance. Mine hates me. We'll just see how well I do with all of these South American sundews and seeds I have coming.. I think that will be a true test of some CP growing skill. ;)

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

Also, not a CP but eh oh well.. All of my Tillies have bloomed, but I was too lazy to get photos of the last 2.. Grabbed the camera and snapped a quick flash photo this morning of this one..

7070972477_53ac3631c4_o.jpg

Very nice, Brie. The tillies I got from that Home and Garden show look pretty lame. I have them strapped-in to my rack, so I refuse to take them off to soak them. I think that could be the issue..

Very nice, Brie. The tillies I got from that Home and Garden show look pretty lame. I have them strapped-in to my rack, so I refuse to take them off to soak them. I think that could be the issue..

Thanks.. yeah since mine are all mounted to a moss covered branch now, I dont soak them... I just spray the heck of out em with RO once a week or so, til they're all soaked and dripping.. Seems to do the trick. You can tell when they get dehydrated, they look a little "parched"/feel dry, and may start to wrinkle a little bit down on the base of the plant...

Some photos from today...

I separated out my big pot of D. intermedia "roraima" seedlings today, into individual seedling pots.. Or close to it anyway, I did put some clusters of 2-3 in there towards the end when I was getting tired of dealing with them lol. Also separated the last of my D. brevifolia "Hempstead NC" seedlings.. Some into a pot to keep and the other teeny guys into a couple little jiffy pots to grow out for future new homes.
7091283719_5e97f5a3fd_o.jpg

And while moving around pots to make room for that tray of seedlings, I discovered my D. madagascarensis has a baby growing out of an old seed pod.. I clipped it off and stuck it down in the substrate where it'll hopefully grow. (not the pot in this picture. lol. Pardon all that moss.. old VFT pot.)
7091570411_f62b1a927a_o.jpg

The main plant(s)
7091570467_bb1baf82b3_o.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

And for the sake of keeping things all in one place.. i'll repost these pics here..

My lone Ceph. "Eden Black " x self seedling, growing its first pitcher
6939596894_78622b33f2_o.jpg

6939596808_119fa6a0cc_o.jpg

And D. regia 'Big Easy' root cuttings
6939590936_3db2027b9d_o.jpg

6939590976_66677e6527_o.jpg

6939591046_628ecf5222_o.jpg

Once a month, in the summer, you definitely need to come down to Portland and sell CPs with me at the street fair.

Those cephs.. :drool: So lucky.

Once a month, in the summer, you definitely need to come down to Portland and sell CPs with me at the street fair.

Dude i'm totally up for that. Hopefully by this summer, i'll have enough to do so.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Those cephs.. :drool: So lucky.
"that ceph".. only had one that germinated.. Im hoping to god that I dont kill it!

Very nice! Everything looks so organized and clean, unlike my stuff.

Aren't regia root cuttings a joy?

Beautiful pics, and well grown plants!

BTW, I picked up an issue of Reptiles today. Your pics looked beautiful and I look foreword to reading the articles. Please foreword my congrats to Terry Phillips if you happen to speak to him!

Congratulations on that, I am certain it is a dream of every reptile photographer!

Random pics.. I bought a pretty glass cylinder vase thing today and put together a little terrarium for my aunt for her birthday.. She'd expressed interest in my plants in the past, figured she'll get a kick out of it.. I separated out a clump of U. longifolia with a flower stalk and planted it in there, along with two baby D. adelae.. Im sure this cylinder will be full in no time, but no biggie.. I see her often enough that I can remove plants as needed for her, and all of them should be fine growing on a windowsill(where these particular plants were growing here at my place).

Pardon my cluttered bookshelves. :p
7098018109_33cd120503_o.jpg

6951947870_e71982be1a_o.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Aren't regia root cuttings a joy?

Beautiful pics, and well grown plants!

BTW, I picked up an issue of Reptiles today. Your pics looked beautiful and I look foreword to reading the articles. Please foreword my congrats to Terry Phillips if you happen to speak to him!

Congratulations on that, I am certain it is a dream of every reptile photographer!

Oops sorry, I missed this..

Thanks for the kind words. :) It was indeed a dream of mine... Can check that off my bucket list.. I'll let Terry know too :)

Loving that cute little baby cehp! Those regia cuttings look great, you make it look so easy, LOL. I am jealous of your aunt. :-D

Everything looks great as always.

Back