What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brie's CP photo thread

:drool: OMG, your P. cyclosecta is gorgeous. My favorite color is purple.

Wonderful pics! I especially like the P. agnata "ekuma" x emarginata flower stalk. This pic is outstanding & would be calendar material with a different background. :hail:

What media do you use for your P. gypsicola?

Thank ye kindly..

Same as all of my [mexican]pings, an all mineral media consisting of 1:1:1 Sand, APS, pumice and dusted with iron oxide powder.. I have finally found a store selling crushed gypsum, so I think when I separate them i'll repot them using gypsum with a dash of peat for moisture..

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Bahhhhhhh, your dews make me so jealous EVERY TIME. I can definitely see the difference in your pictures these days. That extra half bit of color depth actually shows. "Your camera takes good pictures." ;)

But really, that stalk shot and the ones of the pygmy flowers are so very awesome. What lens did you use for the pygmy shots? That last one, the closeup, is incredibly sharp. Well done. My pygmies are blooming too. And with around 400 pygmies, there should be a WHOLE lot of flowers on the way. XD

MOAR.

Thanks dude.. Yeah I really noticed a difference with this camera too.. the thing is so sharp, you cant even sharpen in photoshop if you wanted to, makes them nasty looking.. I actually have it turned DOWN a step below default... And the color sensor is WAAYYY more accurate then on the T1i.. Auto WB almost always is spot on.

I used the Canon 60mm, with the camera on a tripod, and mirror lock up with a 2 second shutter delay..

And yeah, with as many pygmies as you have, you'll have loads of flowers in no time.. This is the first round of flowers for mine since I started them as gemmae.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Gorgeous pings. If/when you put that agnata 'Red Leaf' into propagation let me know. By far my favorite species.

:0o: zfirst shot is amazing, and so is the plant. You should make prints.

Nice Pinguicula, loving the P. gypsicola

What an amaising P;Cyclosecta you have there! Whao the most beautyfull pinguicula I have never seen.

Thanks!

oooook, and with this I will place my cyclosecta back under the lights. Too nice.

Thanks everybody, you're too kind. :)

Insane P. cyclosecta! What's the diameter on that beauty? Nice P. rotundifolia, too. Not very common to see those.

I'm about to get a P. cylcosecta and your nice photo only makes me hungrier for it. Wallpaperish, indeed! And the flower stalk is pretty awesome.

Insane P. cyclosecta! What's the diameter on that beauty? Nice P. rotundifolia, too. Not very common to see those.

Thanks! Umm i'd say the cyclo is only 2" across or so.. its gotten much more compact compared to last year... It used to nearly reach the edges of the pot.. I believe it has to do with the type of media I use coupled with super intense lighting.. All of my pings got a little more compact when I added 2 more T5s to the shelf.. It seems like a trade off, color and smaller plants, or huge plants with little color.

Some new pics of a few petiolaris dews...

the baby falconeris are getting big and beautiful.. the biggest is around 2.5" now...
6997755348_32dfdf6442_o.jpg

7143842027_591c4e0e91_o.jpg

6998076598_143f316419_o.jpg

D. ordensis.. "its so fluffy, I wanna die!!"
7144162025_b799edbf57_o.jpg

and the unknown one.. Im thinking its maybe a paradoxa or broomensis x ordensis? It has more white fuzz then shows up in the photos, but the long arms and smaller pads make me think paradoxa/broomensis.
6998076646_c5b207d02e_o.jpg

beautifull dews love the falconeris colour

Incredible. Do you mind telling my yours conditions for the petiolaris plants? I can't get mine to look good at all... Mine are growing in a hot terrarium.

Incredible. Do you mind telling my yours conditions for the petiolaris plants? I can't get mine to look good at all... Mine are growing in a hot terrarium.

Shoore... Its a 10gallon tank, as close to the 6 T5 lights as I can get it.. There's about 2" of headroom between the top of the tank and the lights above it. Tank is covered with a piece of Lexan and a bit of seran wrap that I peel back to get into it(High tech, I know)... There's a sheet of egg crate on the bottom, and about 3-4" of water in the bottom. The pots sit on the egg crate in the water... The whole tank sits on a full size seedling heat mat that keeps the water warm at night when the lights go out.. Overall temps are kinda dependant on how hot my apartment is, but standard daytime temp is 90-95 with a nighttime low of 78-80. The high has gone up to 101-102 before when the apartment gets hot on sunny days. Humidity is pretty much "dripping" lol. Like 100% at all times.

---------- Post added at 07:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

Oh, and substrate is a mix of peat, sand and perlite.. All rinsed of coarse.. ;)

Thanks!

Another update..

Some more propagation pics..

New shot of my Eden Black x Self seedling.. I managed to pick all of the chopped sphag out of the pot and get the roots of the seedling deeper into the soil..
7158870538_745552f836_o.jpg

Second round of D. regia 'Big Easy' strikes.. I count 9 in this cup, theres 1-2 in a second cup
7166088780_29d09a0862_o.jpg

7166126338_1fb61f9e8b_o.jpg

Finally some strikes on my unintentional D. graomologensis root cuttings. :p
7166160010_532d2ae6b0_o.jpg

7166171420_061e42edb6_o.jpg

Some of the older regia strikes
7166215308_ef25bc211c_o.jpg

My horde of D. intermedia "roraima" seedlings. 30 cells, 1-3 per cell. Interesting how some are green but much larger, while others are red but much smaller.
7166306904_9ae4d9e967_o.jpg

7166259858_581af6c103_o.jpg

7166287078_9c84aa6395_o.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

CYCLOSECTA FLOWER WOO!!
7165858974_04661e6b93_o.jpg

Moved this D. capillaris up to the T5 shelf and its getting a bit more color..
7165929542_25355bd00f_o.jpg

Good work on that ceph seedling!

Wow, that Cyclosecta is amazing :drool: Congrats on the big easy root strikes, amazing. That baby ceph is just too darn cute!

Wow. I don't know if I'm more enamored with your photography or CP growing skillz. That P cyclosecta is beyond gorgeous. I hope some CP book author hires you as their photographer.

Wow......... I want those plants! :) :D
Excellent growing!

Thank ya kindly guys :)

My horde of D. intermedia "roraima" seedlings. 30 cells, 1-3 per cell. Interesting how some are green but much larger, while others are red but much smaller.
It is my understanding that anthocyanin (which I'm only assuming is what gives sundews their red color, could be something else entirely in which case none of this is relevant...) is produced as a means of protection from heavy UV exposure. Mach did an experiment with D. capensis "Red", I believe it was (in fact, all of this is if memory serves correctly, so yeah...), wherein he put a bunch in the greenhouse, where much of the UV rays are blocked, and a bunch outside. The greenhouse bunch grew significantly more vigorously, but less red. The outdoor ones appeared to have been stunted, but were deep red. I believe his hypothesis was that the red pigmentation (again assuming anthocyanin) left less room for chloroplasts, hence slowing photosynthesis and therefore growth. Indeed, this appears to be the case with your seedlings as well. The green ones are quite a bit bigger, at least from the two examples I can spot in your pictures. As to why some would go one way while others went the other, I don't know. Anthocyanin-free form, perhaps? Total speculation.

All that said (*whew*), that P. cyclosecta is an absolute stunner. Can't wait to see some amazing pictures of it in bloom. ;)

Beautiful plants, Brie. Which should I comment on?? 'Such a lovely cyclosecta. The little 'Eden Black' seedling is looking healthy and happy. Or the lovely capensis? Or...

An interesting hypothesis, Kyle. So it would follow that red plants are less vigorous? Hmmm. I might be willing to pay that price. It has been my experience that they are usually smaller but I have taken that to mean that they needed less surface area to accomplish the same amount of photosynthesis. Maybe I was all wrong in that.

An interesting hypothesis, Kyle. So it would follow that red plants are less vigorous? Hmmm. I might be willing to pay that price. It has been my experience that they are usually smaller but I have taken that to mean that they needed less surface area to accomplish the same amount of photosynthesis. Maybe I was all wrong in that.
It has also been my experience that the red forms of species are not as healthy as others (not saying that as a general rule, I mean under my conditions). For example, I have a few D. muscipula that did extremely well in my minibog (which is indoors under lights), while D. 'Red Dragon' crapped out after a year and a half or so. I attributed it to the idea that the 'Red Dragon' needed more intense light to be capable of a level of photosynthesis that would have kept it healthy, while the typical plants, being mostly green and therefore packed with chloroplasts, accomplished a satisfactory level of photosynthesis. Had it been because they simply needed less surface area for photosynthesis, I would expect them to simply grow a little bigger, like some sort of etiolation, in an attempt to compensate - not just die off. Again, this is just speculation, though. I suspect someone could do a more scientific experiment involving microscopy and such, but I don't have the necessary tools. >.<; I could probably borrow a microscope from the campus lab... might look into that. Would be fun to check it out on a microscopic level, maybe compare chloroplast density and whatnot.

Well... I set up new tables today and spent a good 6-7 hours out on the deck working on repotting and cleaning up the sarrs.. Still have a good dozen or so sarrs in round pots that need repotted to square ones, but that'll have to wait til next pay day.. Phew.. Heres some pics of everything all finished.. Click on em for much bigger full size images..

7212515370_c5be954e6f_o.jpg

7212515530_1be34c73df_o.jpg

7212515680_b78dd93a54_o.jpg

7212611674_513f6d486e_o.jpg

7212515840_70ca2f6ae2_o.jpg

Regias, drosophyllum, and cobras...
7212623906_b4c9a0348e_o.jpg

S. 'Adrian Slack Imposter' flower
7212611246_40e1300e59_o.jpg

S. "White Sparkler" aka 'Fireworks'
7212611366_fd2317a818_o.jpg

S. luecophylla 'Titan' flower
7198448276_472336bd2e_o.jpg

big ol Flava flower
7198398076_d8d752b483_o.jpg

S. 'Adrian Slack' pitchers shootin up like rockets
7198398240_58bfa0fa36_o.jpg

Big bog pot.. S. Doreen's Colossus in back, Leah Wilkerson w/flower stalk on left, Wilkerson's White Knight and Schnell's Ghost in the center, and Adrian Slack on the right.
7198895412_febe885018_o.jpg

Jaws vft from BobZ
7212611170_86d5e603e4_o.jpg

Back