What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brie's CP photo thread

that is a huge rotundifolia,i am surprised you are planting your tubers now ,are you not worried about the summer heat ,or is it because they had started to sprout,i ask because i would like to grow them myself some day

Those tubers should be super easy to wake up. Just add water and cool temps..
Only thing I had trouble with was getting them back to sleep, safely. Too wet and they rot.. too dry and the tubers don't reform in time.
If you can get that, then you got it down pat.

Good luck. I'm sure you can manage.. Looking forward to the updates.
Welcome back BE.

When you order tubers from australia and you live in the northern hemisphere, you have to trick them and switch their growing seasons. Summer in north america is winter(their growing season) in Australia. So right now theyre still thinking its Fall/Winter and its time to grow. You then give them a short growing season, and put them back into dormancy. It can take 2-3 years of this before theyre fully adapted and switched over to North American seasons and thriving again. Theres a good page on I think Lawrie's site that talks about the process.

Was that directed at me?
I learned all of that the first time I ordered from Allen, years ago..
My advice is still accurate.

No I was answering Corky's inquiry... And there is more to it then just adding water. As you mention, getting them to grow the first time isnt the hard part. Anyone can do that. Its getting them back into dormancy and switching their seasons where most people fail and kill theirs..

It often takes freshly imported tubers 2 full years to acclimate here. They need to be dried gradually so that tubers form properly. The dormancy process also must be triggered by longer day lengths and warmer temperatures along with the drying of the media. They can be very tricky to do successfully. Also remember that Allen's advice is what works for him growing them where they are native. There is quite a bit more we need to do to grow them successfully as indoor growers.

thanks for the advice,think mine would be coming from europe any way so hope not to have to acclimatize ,look forward very much to seeing your progress with these

First photo post now that all of my plants have been moved to my new house.. After re-setting up the rack and lights, I discovered that my ex had fiddled with my timer and accidently set it so that it turned off at 9, then BACK ON again at midnight. UGGHHH!!! So my plants have, for at least the past several months, have been under near 24 hours of light. No wonder everything looked so stressed out and pale!! I thought maybe they had been getting too hot or something. But no. Just nuked with lights.. Ugh.. So im really surprised things look as good as they do, given that fact.. They also had aphids something fierce. Ugh. Im so glad I have them back now and everything is being taken care of again. Everything has been sprayed, trimmed, watered real well, and as soon as I can go get a new bale of peat, alot of them will be repotted.

Occidentalis x ??
8718406311_ca444a6358_b.jpg

Occidentalis
8718406409_fd3289a06f_b.jpg

Dichrosepala
8719525954_b509caf96d_b.jpg

Gibsonii
8718407357_73fecb440a_b.jpg

8719525748_5ca024cae1_b.jpg

Lasiantha
8719525288_1ca04232c0_b.jpg

8719525222_80d9cf32f5_b.jpg

All of these seedlings are 9 months old now.. Some way faster growing then others..

Neocaledonica
8718406721_e0972756f4_b.jpg

Kaieteurensis - Gran Sabana, VZ
8718406879_ac6da350ed_b.jpg

Communis - Botucotu, Sao Paolo Brazil
8718407523_d45dbd61fd_b.jpg

Graminifolia - Botumirim, Brazil
8718407223_020633233e_b.jpg

8718407143_693ce0316a_b.jpg

Felix
8718407413_6d000b799b_b.jpg

Oblanceolata - Sunset Peak, Hong Kong
8719525128_ef5e62fc8a_b.jpg

And some others...

D. Watari
8719524982_2275283fa8_b.jpg

an unknown petiolaris hybrid
8719525058_7f1d850cee_b.jpg

Hamiltonii.. I love how they curl up like paper when you feed them...
8718406957_d16d2a073d_b.jpg

Graomologensis
8718407055_396afbc9aa_b.jpg

Burmanii
8719526164_017b2fb63b_b.jpg

2 big parent plants, rest are seedlings
8718407605_acdf198e58_b.jpg

Auyan Tepui
8718407729_618138ac55_b.jpg

Those look great, Brie! I especially like the hamiltonii.

I fear the day when I start collecting Drosera.

The dew on your petiolaris hybrid is awesome! I too like the hamiltonii, as well as the lasiantha. Such a delicate little plant.

Beautiful plants; I especially like the color of the Auyan Tepui.

Thanks for sharing!

That petiolaris hybrid really makes me want to grow one of these, but I have a terrible time keeping Drosera healthy in the greenhouse over winter. Lovely plants, Brie. Good luck with the aphids. :-(

Thanks guys. :)

Paul, petiolaris really seem to do best in a terrarium IMO.. I tried em under a covered dome without any extra form of heat, and they went dormant.. Even with day temps in the 80s.. Mine are all in a sealed 10gal tank, on my top shelf of the rack. 6" or so away from 6 T5s, and it sits on a seedling heat mat to keep it warm at night. Day temps are around 100, nights no lower then low 80s.. humidity of 99.9999% and they sit in water. If you ever want to set up a terrarium for em, id gladly send u some. And as for the aphids.. they are all dead as doornails now.. Bayer spray ftw.

Thanks guys. :)

Paul, petiolaris really seem to do best in a terrarium IMO.. I tried em under a covered dome without any extra form of heat, and they went dormant.. Even with day temps in the 80s.. Mine are all in a sealed 10gal tank, on my top shelf of the rack. 6" or so away from 6 T5s, and it sits on a seedling heat mat to keep it warm at night. Day temps are around 100, nights no lower then low 80s.. humidity of 99.9999% and they sit in water. If you ever want to set up a terrarium for em, id gladly send u some. And as for the aphids.. they are all dead as doornails now.. Bayer spray ftw.

Ahh, thanks for that exceptionally detailed report. I do have a terrarium I set up in the house as a "winter project", but it would be a challenge to maintain temps that you describe, so I think I will leave that one alone ;-) Thanks for the offer though!

PS: How did your share of the Leah Wilkerson seedlings from Fred's auction last year do? I have some that are 6" tall and showing some very nice qualities!

Ahh, thanks for that exceptionally detailed report. I do have a terrarium I set up in the house as a "winter project", but it would be a challenge to maintain temps that you describe, so I think I will leave that one alone ;-) Thanks for the offer though!

PS: How did your share of the Leah Wilkerson seedlings from Fred's auction last year do? I have some that are 6" tall and showing some very nice qualities!

No prob. :)

Hmm.. Which ones were they? Were those the [Wilkerson's Red x Alata Red/Black] x Leah Wilkerson? If so, then yes they are doing quite well! I kept all of my sarr babies inside over winter under lights so theyre all pretty good sized now.. The biggest are 6-8" as well.. And yeah, I have a few lookers for sure.. Some with some very nice red veins or overall red color. Here's a few crappy cellphone pics I just ran over and took. They look way better in person. The T5s seem to confuse my cellphone.

my fav one, with flash.
8722634234_339bef5f28_b.jpg

A different pot with a looker
8722634576_afe1534b2e_b.jpg

8721514585_45087f5e9d_b.jpg

No prob. :)

Hmm.. Which ones were they? Were those the [Wilkerson's Red x Alata Red/Black] x Leah Wilkerson? If so, then yes they are doing quite well! I kept all of my sarr babies inside over winter under lights so theyre all pretty good sized now.. The biggest are 6-8" as well.. And yeah, I have a few lookers for sure.. Some with some very nice red veins or overall red color. Here's a few crappy cellphone pics I just ran over and took. They look way better in person. The T5s seem to confuse my cellphone.

my fav one, with flash.
8722634234_339bef5f28_b.jpg

Yup, that is the cross I meant....you have some nice seedlings there! I imagine there are going to be some real lookers in that bunch!

yeah there certainly are some nice ones! Cant wait to see how they turn out.. Have any pics of yours?

yeah there certainly are some nice ones! Cant wait to see how they turn out.. Have any pics of yours?

I will make an effort to get some photos tomorrow - none so far. I've been negligent!

Love the dews, especially the D. Watari. Those S. Leah Wilkerson hybrid seedlings are awesome! Did you keep the sarr seedlings enclosed over winter or just on a shelf under lights?

A very interesting collection of rare sundews, Brie! Always fun to see them growing up as seedlings. Your graos look great. I'm looking forward to updates.

Back