Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 56 of 88 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: Brie's CP photo thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a really pretty capillaris! I want to try D. slackii now.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    Just realized I forgot a pic.. my D. cuneifolia.. Its putting out new adult leaves wicked fast now that its been here a while.. going from its stubby, wedge leaves to the longer adult ones..

That does not look at all like D. cuneifolia. It's probably D. aliciae or D. natalensis.

Adult leaves on D. cuneifolia are around 3 cm (1.2 inches) long and up to 15 cm (5.9 inches) wide at the tips. The leaves should also have 3-5 nerves on them which can be seen in this picture on Christian Dietz's site:
    http://www.utricularia.net/sonstiges...cuneifolia.php

Type your plant out against A.A. Obermeyer's diagnosis from The Flora of Southern Africa Vol. 13

Small to somewhat larger, rosulate herbs with 1-2 long roots. Leaves with the petiole confluent with the lamina; stipules concave, ovate, c. 3 mm. long entire below, laciniate above, rosy brown; lamina cuneate, up to 3 cm. long and 15 cm. broad at the truncate apex, green, 3-5 nerved; discal tentacles very dense along the margin; outer leaves smaller, older leaves glaberescent below, young buds hairy. Inflorescence central, straight, variable in length, usually about 15 cm. long, 6-20 flowered, pedicels up to 6 mm. long. Calyx-lobes ovate, 5 mm. long, obtuse. Petals broadly obovate- cuneate, up to 12 mm. long, pink to reddish purple ("bright red with a touch of magenta," Marloth), when faded, forming a falcate, rod-shaped body exserted from the open calyx. Stamens with short filaments, the locules separated by the swollen connective. Styles divided from the base, stigmas spoon shaped. Capsule with black, fusiform seeds
    Take a look at the undersides of the older leaves. If they are hairy it's D. aliciae. If there is some hair at the base it is D. natalensis. If there is almost no hair then it is D. cuneifolia.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya know i've been wondering myself lately.. When it first arrived, it looked pretty cuneifolia-ish.. But then these latest leaves started growing and had me wondering... However, i've YET to see a photo of a cuneifolia in propagation that looks at all like a wild specimen.. so that had be wondering if maybe the extremely wedge shaped leaves were an environmental thing, and we werent giving the plants what they needed to develop that or something.. When looking at Cpphotofinder at the cuneifolia photos, mine look exactly like easily half of those plants..

I looked under the leaves but I dont really see much, or have basis for comparison.. I did snap a photo of the newly forming leaves, and I do believe I see 3-5 nerves there depending on which leaf im looking at.. this one in the photo definitely has 3, while the slightly older, taller one behind it has 4 or 5..

I feel like mine looks exactly like these other plants labeled as cuneifolia.. Would you say my plant looks "hairier" then these? Would really suck if this seller is ripping people off and I paid like $20 for an aliciae. :P

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Since I had the camera out.. update on my lone Eden Black x self Ceph seedling.. Its starting to get some color now thats its under artificial light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's almost exactly what my D. aliciae developing leaves look like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    That's almost exactly what my D. aliciae developing leaves look like.
    *sigh* yeah I have a feeling I have an overpriced alicae :P Im never buying from this nursery again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that sucks.. It didn't really look like cunefolia to me either, but I thought it was just another form or something... :P

The ceph seedling looks healthy.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: The 15 cm for the tip width is probably a typo, either from transcription or OCR error or both. 1.5 cm would be more like it making the proportion of the width at the tip of the leaf about half the length. This would be within the ratio observed on the in-situ photos posted by Christian Dietz and Andreas Fleischmann. Christian posted many of these in the Drosera section of TerraForums.

If you see D. affinis, D. glabripes, D. dielsiana, or D. cunefolia for sale it probably isn't the real deal. Caveat emptor!
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it definitely seems to be true with cuniefolia especially, seems theres alot of mis-IDed plants floating around.. Which I knew.. But this nursery is known for having rare plants.. I got my graminifolia and some others from the same guy, had no real reason to doubt him.. But he's an old guy, still running things in an oldschool way and he probably doesnt know the difference between cuneifolia and any others.. I kinda wanna email him to notify him of the mistake but dont wanna seem.. snarky.