Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 60 of 88 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Thread: Brie's CP photo thread

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that Cyclosecta is amazing Congrats on the big easy root strikes, amazing. That baby ceph is just too darn cute!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I don't know if I'm more enamored with your photography or CP growing skillz. That P cyclosecta is beyond gorgeous. I hope some CP book author hires you as their photographer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow......... I want those plants!
    Excellent growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank ya kindly guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    My horde of D. intermedia "roraima" seedlings. 30 cells, 1-3 per cell. Interesting how some are green but much larger, while others are red but much smaller.
    It is my understanding that anthocyanin (which I'm only assuming is what gives sundews their red color, could be something else entirely in which case none of this is relevant...) is produced as a means of protection from heavy UV exposure. Mach did an experiment with D. capensis "Red", I believe it was (in fact, all of this is if memory serves correctly, so yeah...), wherein he put a bunch in the greenhouse, where much of the UV rays are blocked, and a bunch outside. The greenhouse bunch grew significantly more vigorously, but less red. The outdoor ones appeared to have been stunted, but were deep red. I believe his hypothesis was that the red pigmentation (again assuming anthocyanin) left less room for chloroplasts, hence slowing photosynthesis and therefore growth. Indeed, this appears to be the case with your seedlings as well. The green ones are quite a bit bigger, at least from the two examples I can spot in your pictures. As to why some would go one way while others went the other, I don't know. Anthocyanin-free form, perhaps? Total speculation.

All that said (*whew*), that P. cyclosecta is an absolute stunner. Can't wait to see some amazing pictures of it in bloom.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful plants, Brie. Which should I comment on?? 'Such a lovely cyclosecta. The little 'Eden Black' seedling is looking healthy and happy. Or the lovely capensis? Or...

An interesting hypothesis, Kyle. So it would follow that red plants are less vigorous? Hmmm. I might be willing to pay that price. It has been my experience that they are usually smaller but I have taken that to mean that they needed less surface area to accomplish the same amount of photosynthesis. Maybe I was all wrong in that.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    An interesting hypothesis, Kyle. So it would follow that red plants are less vigorous? Hmmm. I might be willing to pay that price. It has been my experience that they are usually smaller but I have taken that to mean that they needed less surface area to accomplish the same amount of photosynthesis. Maybe I was all wrong in that.
    It has also been my experience that the red forms of species are not as healthy as others (not saying that as a general rule, I mean under my conditions). For example, I have a few D. muscipula that did extremely well in my minibog (which is indoors under lights), while D. 'Red Dragon' crapped out after a year and a half or so. I attributed it to the idea that the 'Red Dragon' needed more intense light to be capable of a level of photosynthesis that would have kept it healthy, while the typical plants, being mostly green and therefore packed with chloroplasts, accomplished a satisfactory level of photosynthesis. Had it been because they simply needed less surface area for photosynthesis, I would expect them to simply grow a little bigger, like some sort of etiolation, in an attempt to compensate - not just die off. Again, this is just speculation, though. I suspect someone could do a more scientific experiment involving microscopy and such, but I don't have the necessary tools. >.<; I could probably borrow a microscope from the campus lab... might look into that. Would be fun to check it out on a microscopic level, maybe compare chloroplast density and whatnot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... I set up new tables today and spent a good 6-7 hours out on the deck working on repotting and cleaning up the sarrs.. Still have a good dozen or so sarrs in round pots that need repotted to square ones, but that'll have to wait til next pay day.. Phew.. Heres some pics of everything all finished.. Click on em for much bigger full size images..

Regias, drosophyllum, and cobras...

S. 'Adrian Slack Imposter' flower

S. "White Sparkler" aka 'Fireworks'

S. luecophylla 'Titan' flower

big ol Flava flower

S. 'Adrian Slack' pitchers shootin up like rockets

Big bog pot.. S. Doreen's Colossus in back, Leah Wilkerson w/flower stalk on left, Wilkerson's White Knight and Schnell's Ghost in the center, and Adrian Slack on the right.

Jaws vft from BobZ