What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brie's CP photo thread

That's a really pretty capillaris! I want to try D. slackii now.

Just realized I forgot a pic.. my D. cuneifolia.. Its putting out new adult leaves wicked fast now that its been here a while.. going from its stubby, wedge leaves to the longer adult ones..

7121396607_fba883579e_o.jpg

That does not look at all like D. cuneifolia. It's probably D. aliciae or D. natalensis.

Adult leaves on D. cuneifolia are around 3 cm (1.2 inches) long and up to 15 cm (5.9 inches) wide at the tips. The leaves should also have 3-5 nerves on them which can be seen in this picture on Christian Dietz's site:
http://www.utricularia.net/sonstiges/standorte/saf_2009/IMG_4441-cuneifolia.php

Type your plant out against A.A. Obermeyer's diagnosis from The Flora of Southern Africa Vol. 13

Small to somewhat larger, rosulate herbs with 1-2 long roots. Leaves with the petiole confluent with the lamina; stipules concave, ovate, c. 3 mm. long entire below, laciniate above, rosy brown; lamina cuneate, up to 3 cm. long and 15 cm. broad at the truncate apex, green, 3-5 nerved; discal tentacles very dense along the margin; outer leaves smaller, older leaves glaberescent below, young buds hairy. Inflorescence central, straight, variable in length, usually about 15 cm. long, 6-20 flowered, pedicels up to 6 mm. long. Calyx-lobes ovate, 5 mm. long, obtuse. Petals broadly obovate- cuneate, up to 12 mm. long, pink to reddish purple ("bright red with a touch of magenta," Marloth), when faded, forming a falcate, rod-shaped body exserted from the open calyx. Stamens with short filaments, the locules separated by the swollen connective. Styles divided from the base, stigmas spoon shaped. Capsule with black, fusiform seeds

Take a look at the undersides of the older leaves. If they are hairy it's D. aliciae. If there is some hair at the base it is D. natalensis. If there is almost no hair then it is D. cuneifolia.

Ya know i've been wondering myself lately.. When it first arrived, it looked pretty cuneifolia-ish.. But then these latest leaves started growing and had me wondering... However, i've YET to see a photo of a cuneifolia in propagation that looks at all like a wild specimen.. so that had be wondering if maybe the extremely wedge shaped leaves were an environmental thing, and we werent giving the plants what they needed to develop that or something.. When looking at Cpphotofinder at the cuneifolia photos, mine look exactly like easily half of those plants..

I looked under the leaves but I dont really see much, or have basis for comparison.. I did snap a photo of the newly forming leaves, and I do believe I see 3-5 nerves there depending on which leaf im looking at.. this one in the photo definitely has 3, while the slightly older, taller one behind it has 4 or 5..
7125373621_7d00b0a16b_o.jpg

I feel like mine looks exactly like these other plants labeled as cuneifolia.. Would you say my plant looks "hairier" then these? Would really suck if this seller is ripping people off and I paid like $20 for an aliciae. :p
cuneifolia.jpg

dscf30168nt.jpg

dcuneifoliagc5.jpg

cuneifolia.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Since I had the camera out.. update on my lone Eden Black x self Ceph seedling.. Its starting to get some color now thats its under artificial light...
6979342406_c030e96c88_o.jpg

That's almost exactly what my D. aliciae developing leaves look like.

That's almost exactly what my D. aliciae developing leaves look like.

*sigh* yeah I have a feeling I have an overpriced alicae :p Im never buying from this nursery again.

Well that sucks.. It didn't really look like cunefolia to me either, but I thought it was just another form or something... :p

The ceph seedling looks healthy.

Re: The 15 cm for the tip width is probably a typo, either from transcription or OCR error or both. 1.5 cm would be more like it making the proportion of the width at the tip of the leaf about half the length. This would be within the ratio observed on the in-situ photos posted by Christian Dietz and Andreas Fleischmann. Christian posted many of these in the Drosera section of TerraForums.

If you see D. affinis, D. glabripes, D. dielsiana, or D. cunefolia for sale it probably isn't the real deal. Caveat emptor!

Yeah, it definitely seems to be true with cuniefolia especially, seems theres alot of mis-IDed plants floating around.. Which I knew.. But this nursery is known for having rare plants.. I got my graminifolia and some others from the same guy, had no real reason to doubt him.. But he's an old guy, still running things in an oldschool way and he probably doesnt know the difference between cuneifolia and any others.. I kinda wanna email him to notify him of the mistake but dont wanna seem.. snarky.

Wow! so many amazing plants!!

Bigger pic update time.. First day off to hang out at home in quite a while so I naturally had to take some pics...

This guy will always be my favorite ping.. P. cyclosecta from Mach
6983644536_659dbd49e8_o.jpg

P. rotundiflora from Johnny.. I made an oops when I first got it, for some reason thinking it was one of the temperate pings I had gotten, and put it in peat/perlite.. And its been happy as a clam.
6983644458_f4c2dd04a7_o.jpg

Second P. rotundiflora
7129729007_f30e7c7f85_o.jpg

The Three Amigos, P. gypsicola.. The little guy is finally starting to catch up..
6983644246_3a90a637fc_o.jpg

P. moranensis x ehlersiae from BobZ... I didnt recieve it as "sethos" or "weser".. so i think its just a generic crossing. Easily my darkest pink ping though.
6983644182_e6b4967f85_o.jpg

John Rizzi from BobZ gettin' huge
6983644114_b5744d36b3_o.jpg

P. gracilis x moctezumae becoming a three headed monster...
7129728705_114fb89e8e_o.jpg

P. laueana from Johnny.. I dream of the day I get a flower from it...
7129728653_3d60694b3e_o.jpg

P. agnata "Red Leaf"
7129728621_18fc4c1c0d_o.jpg

P. agnata "ekuma" x emarginata flower stalk
7129547991_fa152747fb_o.jpg

D. Lake Badgerup
7129272829_d176845910_o.jpg

(big pic, wallpaperish)
7129272861_7d7bc0dac0_o.jpg

6983487858_bf220849c4_o.jpg

D. prolifera, was playin with the extension tube, trying to get just a single drop of dew in focus.. Was only partially successful..
7129573343_658e7acbfb_o.jpg

Last edited:
:hail: pings looking great

Gorgeous pings. If/when you put that agnata 'Red Leaf' into propagation let me know. By far my favorite species.

Bahhhhhhh, your dews make me so jealous EVERY TIME. I can definitely see the difference in your pictures these days. That extra half bit of color depth actually shows. "Your camera takes good pictures." ;)

But really, that stalk shot and the ones of the pygmy flowers are so very awesome. What lens did you use for the pygmy shots? That last one, the closeup, is incredibly sharp. Well done. My pygmies are blooming too. And with around 400 pygmies, there should be a WHOLE lot of flowers on the way. XD

MOAR.

:0o: zfirst shot is amazing, and so is the plant. You should make prints.

Nice Pinguicula, loving the P. gypsicola

What an amaising P;Cyclosecta you have there! Whao the most beautyfull pinguicula I have never seen.

Thanks!

oooook, and with this I will place my cyclosecta back under the lights. Too nice.

Much of the time you can only be as good as your sources. I got a mislabeled Nepenthes from a very reputable grower who got it (mislabeled) from the very reputable Atlanta Botanical Gardens. If you're trying to run a business you don't have time to grow every plant in inventory to maturity to check the flowers, seeds and adult forms against the type descriptions. And who has the time or expertise to translate many of these descriptions from botanical Latin or some other language. Until a couple years ago these texts weren't even available except through inter-library loans. As Lois said when I visited her greenhouse several years ago when I pointed out that a tray of Drosera glabripes she had just imported were actually D. × corinthica: "All I can do sometimes is go by what they are labeled."

Saying a plant is rare doesn't make it so. Not when they have been in cultivation 10 or 20 plus years. Especially not when many of the plants listed on that guy's catalog are from Tissue Culture wholesalers like AgriStarts III. How rare is a plant when they show up for sale in supermarkets or later dollar stores? AG3 has removed and added Carnivorous Plants from their catalog before. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the "rare" plants show up in their catalog again in the fall now that demand for them is peaking. Funny how that works.

Yeah, it definitely seems to be true with cuniefolia especially, seems theres alot of mis-IDed plants floating around.. Which I knew.. But this nursery is known for having rare plants.. I got my graminifolia and some others from the same guy, had no real reason to doubt him.. But he's an old guy, still running things in an oldschool way and he probably doesnt know the difference between cuneifolia and any others.. I kinda wanna email him to notify him of the mistake but dont wanna seem.. snarky.

Wonderful pics! I especially like the P. agnata "ekuma" x emarginata flower stalk. This pic is outstanding & would be calendar material with a different background. :hail:

What media do you use for your P. gypsicola?

Back