Thread: June Macro of month winners

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

June Macro of month winners

And the winner is
    1. Rl7836 "U. nelumbifolia "
    Please pm me to wich 2 dews of the 4 listed you may want for prize ill pay postage.
    Capensis albino, capensis alba, filliformis fl. red, rotundifolia

coming in second and third are
    2. amphirion "Utricularia quelchii"
    3. Brie "Cobra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yay I placed! lol. Congrats Rl7836!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't Capensis albino and capensis alba one and the same? D. capensis 'Alba' actually means capensis albino..

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of those things that hasn't been cleared up to my knowledge. Alba is simply a Latin word meaning white. It is often used with white flowered forms of plants. Albino plants technically are plants lacking chlorophyll.

Almost all the white flowered Drosera capensis have very pale pinkish tentacles. The cultivar description for Drosera capensis 'Albino' states "probably more significant feature of the described form is the lack of red colouration in the leaves and tentacles under various lighting conditions, including strong sun." This has been taken to mean the complete lack of any red coloration in the tentacles (white-clear). Plants with white flowers and white/clear tentacles do exist but it is unclear if the tentacles would take on a pinkish hue given stronger light levels. Some people feel it more appropriate to call the white flowered/pink tentacled D. capensis "Alba". I've taken to just call it white flowered D. capensis. Alba being a latin word is not acceptable as a registered cultivar name. And then again the "pink" hue seen in many photographs could just be picked by the camera from reflections of red plants or flowers nearby.

To add to the confusion the cultivar standard photo as published in "The Savage Garden" appears to have pinkish tentacles but this could just be an artifact of the printing process.

If someone indeed has a white flowered D. capensis that maintains white/clear tentacles that can be grown side by side with pink tentacled plants photos would be most welcomed.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think using "Alba" Is confusing because of Drosera alba...
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seriously...someone needs to promote the narrow, wide, red, and alba capensis to variant status....they've done it already for S. flava. the fact being that D. capensis has been around the CP scene for like....FOREVER, it's about time!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I recall from discussion on the ICPS forum the white flowered form has not been observed in nature.

Much of the South African Drosera could stand further study and possibly dividing to subspecies and varieties for example D. natalensis.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm i dont remember puting alba....as i have albino and red versions i started from seed.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast