What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rball

INFECTED
And the winner is
1. Rl7836 "U. nelumbifolia "
Please pm me to wich 2 dews of the 4 listed you may want for prize ill pay postage.
Capensis albino, capensis alba, filliformis fl. red, rotundifolia

coming in second and third are
2. amphirion "Utricularia quelchii"
3. Brie "Cobra

yay I placed! lol. Congrats Rl7836!

Aren't Capensis albino and capensis alba one and the same? :scratch: D. capensis 'Alba' actually means capensis albino..

This is one of those things that hasn't been cleared up to my knowledge. Alba is simply a Latin word meaning white. It is often used with white flowered forms of plants. Albino plants technically are plants lacking chlorophyll.

Almost all the white flowered Drosera capensis have very pale pinkish tentacles. The cultivar description for Drosera capensis 'Albino' states "probably more significant feature of the described form is the lack of red colouration in the leaves and tentacles under various lighting conditions, including strong sun." This has been taken to mean the complete lack of any red coloration in the tentacles (white-clear). Plants with white flowers and white/clear tentacles do exist but it is unclear if the tentacles would take on a pinkish hue given stronger light levels. Some people feel it more appropriate to call the white flowered/pink tentacled D. capensis "Alba". I've taken to just call it white flowered D. capensis. Alba being a latin word is not acceptable as a registered cultivar name. And then again the "pink" hue seen in many photographs could just be picked by the camera from reflections of red plants or flowers nearby.

To add to the confusion the cultivar standard photo as published in "The Savage Garden" appears to have pinkish tentacles but this could just be an artifact of the printing process.

If someone indeed has a white flowered D. capensis that maintains white/clear tentacles that can be grown side by side with pink tentacled plants photos would be most welcomed.

I think using "Alba" Is confusing because of Drosera alba...

seriously...someone needs to promote the narrow, wide, red, and alba capensis to variant status....they've done it already for S. flava. the fact being that D. capensis has been around the CP scene for like....FOREVER, it's about time!

As I recall from discussion on the ICPS forum the white flowered form has not been observed in nature.

Much of the South African Drosera could stand further study and possibly dividing to subspecies and varieties for example D. natalensis.

hmmm i dont remember puting alba....as i have albino and red versions i started from seed.......

Please pm me to wich 2 dews of the 4 listed you may want for prize ill pay postage.
Capensis albino, capensis alba, filliformis fl. red, rotundifolia

See above

Back