User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 9

Thread: Planning trip to Byron-Bergen swamp

  1. #1
    Tastes like chicken! Exo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albion, NY
    Posts
    2,895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Planning trip to Byron-Bergen swamp

    I am planning on taking a trip the Byron-Bergen swamp soon and was wondering if any of the NY members here on TF have ever been there, and if you can give me any tips on where to find the S.purpurea that live there...and if there is sphagnum or any other CPs in the swamp.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

    My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

    Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

  2. #2
    scottychaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western New York, USA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never been convinced there are in fact purps there..I think the "bog type" is wrong..no floating spagnum mats...but if they are there, I doubt you will be able to easily find them, it is not a "hike friendly" swamp! I have tried it..not only did I not find any CP's, I didnt find any promising CP habitats..
    but its also a BIG swamp! perhaps I was just looking in the wrong place..I cant say for certain there are *not* purps there..but IMO its not promising..

    Have you been to the swamp with the boardwalk? near Houghton?

    Scot

  3. #3
    Tastes like chicken! Exo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albion, NY
    Posts
    2,895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    I have never been convinced there are in fact purps there..I think the "bog type" is wrong..no floating spagnum mats...but if they are there, I doubt you will be able to easily find them, it is not a "hike friendly" swamp! I have tried it..not only did I not find any CP's, I didnt find any promising CP habitats..
    but its also a BIG swamp! perhaps I was just looking in the wrong place..I cant say for certain there are *not* purps there..but IMO its not promising..

    Have you been to the swamp with the boardwalk? near Houghton?

    Scot
    I know someone who has purpurea with location data from Bergen swamp, and they are listed as growing there, so it seems like they should be there....somewhere. Any Idea what area of the swamp you were in?

    I've never been to the Houghton bog...but I know of it..it's a bit of a drive though....as is the Zurich bog, although that is closer.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

    My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

    Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

  4. #4
    Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    7,506
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Bergen Swamp S. purpurea ssp purpurea from seed collected by Pat Coan of Bergen Swamp Preservation Society. Plants were distributed to many of the LACPS members.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

  5. #5
    scottychaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western New York, USA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been probably 10 years since I was out there..
    I parked at what was, at the time, the only public entrance..near the south-west corner of the swamp.
    there wasnt much of anything "developed", in terms of trails, at all..

    I then drove all the way around the outside, on the roads circling the swamp, and didnt find any other entrance..if there is access to the "purp area", wherever it might be, it might be off of surrounding private property..(probably 99% of the edge of the swamp is private property) or perhaps there are more developed trails now..

    Scot

  6. #6
    Tastes like chicken! Exo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albion, NY
    Posts
    2,895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    I have a Bergen Swamp S. purpurea ssp purpurea from seed collected by Pat Coan of Bergen Swamp Preservation Society. Plants were distributed to many of the LACPS members.
    Hmm...so that answers that question.....so the question is...where in the swamp are they?

    ---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    It's been probably 10 years since I was out there..
    I parked at what was, at the time, the only public entrance..near the south-west corner of the swamp.
    there wasnt much of anything "developed", in terms of trails, at all..

    I then drove all the way around the outside, on the roads circling the swamp, and didnt find any other entrance..if there is access to the "purp area", wherever it might be, it might be off of surrounding private property..(probably 99% of the edge of the swamp is private property) or perhaps there are more developed trails now..

    Scot
    There is apparently a south-east trail entrance now too.

    ---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

    Here is a crude map...but it seems to show two trails....

    http://www.bergenswamp.org/Maps/Berg...Directions.pdf
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

    My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

    Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

  7. #7
    Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    7,506
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not contact Pat Coan?

    From the Bergen Swamp website:

    http://www.bergenswamp.org/trustees.htm
    Contact for Questions:

    General Information/Bergen Swamp Affairs: Patti Coan - bsps*at*rochester.rr.com

    She's one of the caretakers so she should know were everything is.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

  8. #8
    Tastes like chicken! Exo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Albion, NY
    Posts
    2,895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Why not contact Pat Coan?

    From the Bergen Swamp website:

    http://www.bergenswamp.org/trustees.htm
    Contact for Questions:

    General Information/Bergen Swamp Affairs: Patti Coan - bsps*at*rochester.rr.com

    She's one of the caretakers so she should know were everything is.
    Oh..That's a great idea....Thanks!
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

    My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

    Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •