What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Martha's Vineyard

Baylorguy

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer"
I'm currently on vacation and in my spare time managed to find several populations of Drosera intermedia and Drosera rotundifolia on Long Island, New York. Also one of Sarracenia purpurea and Drosera filiformis.

The next leg of our trip is Martha's Vineyard and I can't seem to find any information on whether or not CPs are on the island? Does anyone here know?

Hey, nice trip you have going on.

Just curious, where on Long Island did you visit to see the Drosera?

I'm curious too, I know of a few populations of Rotundifolia in Connetquot State Park & Lakeland Park (along the same river) Peconic Bog which also has some S. Purpurea & Quogue (fitting) National Wildlife Refuge which has a boardwalk that goes over a bog with Really Nice S. Purps & D. rotundifilias. There's aquatic Bladderworts in the main pond there too.

I found a population of D. Intermedia, but I forgot the name of where... I could find out easily though.

I know that populations of D. Rotundifolia exist on Fire Island, but haven't found em yet. I've narrowed it down to a few possible spots as there really ain't mucg fresh water on that sandbar of an island!

There's also some great display bogs at Riverhead Aquarium and the Planting Fields Arboretum has some nice Neps but those are man-made.

I was talking with a client of mine two nights ago and he said that he had just gotten back from Martha's and Nantucket. He claims he found Sarracenia purpurea and a few sundews on Martha's as well as Nantucket. He had no photos so, me being the forever skeptic, I'm not sure whether he actually found them or was trying to impress me. Nonetheless, I'll try to get in contact with him and find out exactly where he was at.

I'm thinking about taking a little trip and I'm trying to pick a spot to go to!

I came across this article that seems to mention some good spots Long Island CP's -- Although the piece seems a bit old...

Hi everyone -

There are significant populations of Drosera intermedia and Drosera rotundifolia in Robert Cushman County Park. There's several ponds within the park that have strong populations of drosera. The Drosera intermedia I encountered seemed to be forming a stem habit of growth and they grew soaking wet on the very edge of the pond. The Drosera rotundifolia on the other hand grew in pure sphagnum moss a few feet away. Also some isolated populations of Drosera filiformis.

For Sarracenia purpurea I went to Quogue National Wildlife Refuge. Drosera rotundifolia was also here, but in VERY isolated populations. They did have that really nice boardwalk with Sarracenia purpurea.

I'll give Martha's Vineyard a shot... and I'll let everyone know if I find something!

Phil

Back