I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pine Barrens 2011 Trip Report

holy sh*% hot!

Yes it was ungodly hot this year.
    First bad time in the 7 years I've been going to the Pine Barrens. With temps over 100 degrees everyday; it made it very uncomfortable.
    Friday our short paddle, ended up being swimming time in the stream, and then sitting around and napping, before racing back to the cars because of a storm that was trying to blow in.
    Saturday we did not find the Barnes and Noble we where looking for, but did find a movie theater.
    Sunday morning was not too bad for a early morning paddle, but by 10:00am the temp was climbing fast.

Anyway we did not get to do much exploring this trip because of the temperature.
    Here's a quick video / slide show of Sunday morning trip.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would kill to paddle into that spot with a fishing pole! Such a clear video. Do you mind if I ask what you used to shoot that? Thanks for sharing!

Previously known as: NY Plant Nerd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,
    Great shots in the video!

This year was a rough one. We reserved our sites (for this campground reserved = 'paid for') in the spring and then the worst heat wave in years just happens to peak while we're out there with no A/C in sight - yikes. My wife & I had planned to stay until Monday but we gave up and went home after our Sun AM trip up the headwaters of Lake Atsion. Friday night we were lying in our tent and a nearby town's weather center said it was 88*F at ~11pm. The sweat was literally pouring down our faces & neck as we laid there - very gross.

Each year I'm reminded of the incredible beauty & diversity of plants / wildlife that make up the Pine Barrens - almost beyond description - in addition to the abundance of CPs everywhere. Heck - even where our campsite comes down to the lake's edge were D. rotundifolia & D. intermedia.

From the original thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by quogue View Post
    I always love the photo threads from these trips! Now do you guys bring your own canoes/kayaks? Or do they rent there?
    We each have our own boats (My wife & I have touring kayaks & Steve & Gale both have canoes). However, there are nearby outfitters that would make it easy to rent a boat for the weekend.

Is there hiking spots too with CP's?
    Sure. There are multiple trails through Wharton State Forest. Steve has hiked / camped on some of them. We've done a fair amount of CP hunting / exploring on land but in general, water trips are much more productive. They're also more comfortable as there isn't a need to break through brush to try & get closer to the plants. We also usually have a day when we travel to different CP spots by car to check out specific locations.

How bad are the mosquitos and sun?
    The ultra-hi temperatures this year brought out more biting flies than in past years. There are mosquitoes - but they are typically not horrible. The bugs are not that bad while moving and are generally not an issue at all when out on the water. Usually, one of us brings a screen room and sets up over a picnic table so we can gather and talk about CPs (& anything else) into the night without being bothered by bugs.

Normally the sun isn't too harsh but we also tend to schedule our outings in the morning & evenings (although we're sometimes out for the entire day).

Here are two more nature pics to add to Steve's montage... Red-banded hairstreak (butterfly) & a cooperative dragonfly:

All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Plant Nerd View Post
    I would kill to paddle into that spot with a fishing pole! Such a clear video. Do you mind if I ask what you used to shoot that? Thanks for sharing!
    Glad you enjoyed them.

I just bought a cheap camcorder for this type of activity. That way if it goes gets dropped or finds it's way at the bottom of the lake / stream no huge loss.
    The video is from a Sony Webbie MHS-CM1.

Now the pictures I added into the video was taken with a DSL camera. That is the Sony Alpha A100.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry I missed it, but my back is still out so I'm glad I didn't slow you all down...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ron, that's good to know! Doubt I can make it next year cause I'll be busy getting ready for the 2012 ICPS Conference! Hopefully you guys will still be doing this in a couple of years from now... looks like fun & I would like to make it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i liked your pictures....a LOT!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast