Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Beneficial nematodes.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beneficial nematodes.

Hi all,

I have received yesterday a shipment of beneficial nematodes (Steinernema feltiae). The plan is to use them as both a way to take care of a suspected root parasite in some plants and food for utrics.

The nematodes came in a container filled with vermiculite which serves as a carrier. One of the ways of delivering the nematodes to the plants involves placing the contents of the container into 2 gallons of water, let the nematodes wash out from the vermiculite and using the now nematode rich water on plants.

I am concerned about minerals that may leach out into the water from vermiculite raising its TDS count. Searching the topic showed that Vermiculite is used for some plants as a soil component, but obviously not for all.

Anybody has comments/suggestions etc?

Thank you!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People use vermiculite in the Carnivorous Plant mixes. I don't personally recommend it because it breaks down in constantly wet conditions. What little mineral content you add is easily flushed out with top watering - after your nematodes get established.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. Thank you for the reply!