User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The National Debt: A Cheery Subject . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The National Debt: A Cheery Subject . . .

Here is a great graphic representation of the US debt -- its $114,500,000,000,000 in unfunded liabilities, all set in crisp one hundred dollar bill increments. Perhaps a few of you have already seen it; but it is worth taking a second look, especially considering the almost transcendental numbers involved.

Where's my drink and gold bullion?

http://usdebt.kleptocracy.us/?source=patrick.net
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we should just RAISE TAXES and start paying off our debt...keep everything the way it is but RAISE TAXES. Once citizens see the real costs of all the services they're getting, let Congress trim off things that the public doesn't want to pay for. This way we don't get further in debt, start paying it off, and we take a more realistic look at what government should and should not do.

But I bet they'll raise the debt limit and go on as if we can keep it up...until next year :yawn:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post
    I think we should just RAISE TAXES and start paying off our debt...keep everything the way it is but RAISE TAXES. Once citizens see the real costs of all the services they're getting, let Congress trim off things that the public doesn't want to pay for. This way we don't get further in debt, start paying it off, and we take a more realistic look at what government should and should not do.

But I bet they'll raise the debt limit and go on as if we can keep it up...until next year :yawn:
    Frankly, I think pension reform is the primary way to go. Too many public officials in San Francisco, for example, are retiring on ninety percent of their original salaries; and those unfunded liabilities were around two billion in NY State ten years ago and are now closer to twelve billion.

Soon, many cities will have little choice but declare Chapter 14 bankruptcy (that of a municipality) to escape debt, as the city of Vallejo, California did a short time ago. The debt goes along with the unfunded pensions.

I am afraid that simply raising taxes is tantamount to giving the goverment -- a drug addict already, yet another hit of crack -- and during a recession is no great idea; and there are no assurance that it will go to paying down the debt and not to so asinine government program to study homosexuality among seagull populations -- an actual project . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 07-30-2011 at 12:46 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just way too many things going on, national debt caused by synergistic effects--raising taxes against the middle/lower class, entitlement/pension programs, legal/illegal outsourcing, etc etc etc....gotta address multiple problems and not go out guns ablazing against one issue and make it sound as it is sole culprit for the crisis (which i bet they're going to do, just to get the people off their back)

just looked at the link.....OOOOOOOOOH MY PUMPERNICKEL!
    Last edited by amphirion; 07-30-2011 at 11:50 AM.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow........ How many N. hamata "red hairy" plants could I buy with that much money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SDCPs View Post

And cut spending for a LOT of unneccesary things.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a simple idea, but executing it is a whole different ball game. Just as consumers were forced to reign in spending over the last several years, so the government needs to stop talking about reduced spending and start acting on it. We have been overextended for years, and quite frankly, a step in the right direction will at least be some progress.

I am afraid raising taxes is not the popular approach... these politicians care about votes, and one can assume that raising taxes is probably the most effective way to piss off a large contingent of voters. Bottom line... politicians very rarely have the welfare of the public in mind... they make decisions based on what will get them re elected, what will increase their fame, and what will increase their pay.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although this problem is huge, and I feel that every American (heck human, maybe) should do their best to grasp the issue, the visualization is a bit hyped.

Some of those figures they throw around like unfunded liabilities, are pretty open ended. Really just reasons to make a pile of cash look taller than the tallest buildings. Regardless, piles of cash don't really put the real problem into perspective.

There are real things that symbolize the national debt, the over-spending as a country that we have enjoyed, and they are larger than those buildings. The thousands of acres of cleared rainforest in the Amazon and southeast Asia, the Pacific gyre, the Gulf of Mexico, even the Fukushima incident is connected to our own great corporations that we buy light bulbs and energy from. Yes there is no money-based solution to our problem, it's a human problem, a huge problem.

Economies are sort of like the water cycle, except money doesn't create life necessarily. Water does. Bankers are like lakes, politicians are like dams, and the rain that feeds it all is actually the unimaginably large amount of resources that we borrow for imaginary numbers every day, every year.

I await congress's decision, or indecision, I await the following days. Though with no light-hearted expectations of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    Wow........ How many N. hamata "red hairy" plants could I buy with that much money?
    Many many more than actually exist on Earth.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast