What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mismosa Pudica (Sensitive Plant) Seedling Care

Vbkid

Getting There...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hugh-jass/6012595316/
Here is a picture of my only current Mimosa Pudica seedling, as you can see it's pretty much falling over under it's weight, although it looks healthy. It's acclimized to the humidty/temps in the window sill, and it in the peat pellet. Should I continue to let it grow as it is? Do I need to transplant it or do anything special?
I've never cared for any ferns before so not sure what it should need right now.
Thanks,
Kyle

Mimosa pudica is not a fern. :p

To me it looks like it needs more light. That could be why it has already fallen over.

When mine get to that size in the peat pellets, I transplant them into some kind of houseplant soil in a large-ish pot.

Hope this helps.

Devon,
I will definitely take your advice and transplant it. The lighting shouldn't really be an issue, it's on the sunniest window in the house and gets a steady exposure most of the day. It's enough that my windowsill neps can pitcher at least.

I have a sensitive plant, although I bought it as a good size seedling already started. I keep it with my CPs under T5s... I would say it probably does need more light.. They're actually an invasive weed in the south, so as long as you dont bake it in the sun, it will probably do great outside if you dont have bright lights to put it under. I would say its prolly time to transplant yours into a pot, and maybe use a plant stake to prop it up.

Should I continue to let it grow as it is?

Mimosa pudica does not like very much water. Keep the root ball slightly damp, but not totally wet (and not totally dry, of course). It's not the easiest plant to grow from seeds on a window sill.

I don't know if it is very easy, to keep the root ball constantly damp in those free standing peat pellets, without drying out and without wetting them too much. I'd better use a well drained and bigger plastic pot.

BTW, there is also an U.S. native plant with the same look and the same sensitive reaction, its name is Mimosa nuttallii (other names are Schrankia nuttallii or Catsclaw Sensitive Briar). Mimosa nuttallii is a hardy plant, which Mimosa pudica is not, so it can be kept outside in the garden in many areas where the winter conditions are not too hard.

Back